Letter of resignation

TES Personal - Forum

Join hundreds of teachers getting together and chatting about the stuff that matters to them in the TES Personal Group.

Members 10302 Total Posts 684225
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

Letter of resignation

How do you write one? Just the initial bit I need help with in terms of wording it correctly.

Never had to write a letter of resignation and want to get the formality of it correct, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Dear Head Teacher, I am writing to inform you of my resignation effective from 31st December. Yours sincerely D. Cat.

You can add: I have enjoyed working at your school and am leaving to take up a position at X school or whatever. Just put "I resign" and a date.
    Posted

I once wrote on mine, 'Thank you for your support throughout the past year.'

Read into that what you like!

Posted

Here's an oldie written by the Great Nomad some time ago.

I believe that it has excellent advice for anyone writing a resignation letter.  TheoGriff.

A good resignation letter can be short and concise. However, an exceptional letter of resignation accomplishes much more in that it leaves your current headteacher with a positive feeling about you and establishes a basis for positive references in the future.

Here are the points to consider for your resignation letter:

• Don't get personal or write personal remarks about your life and feelings in your resignation letter.

• If you are leaving on bad terms, resist writing negative comments or complaints about the school, the job or other teaching staff in your letter of resignation.

• Clearly state that you are resigning and the effective resignation date.

• Indicate that you regret leaving and mention positive things about your experience, your teaching and other colleagues, your work and the school.

• Express enthusiasm and appreciation for the post and responsibilities you have held and the experience and knowledge you have gained.

• Emphasize and highlight your most important contributions to the school or department.

Don't underestimate the importance of your performance during the last part of the term. It is tempting to relax and release (and even to party, as suggested above) but this is not a good idea as your professional reputation is at stake:

• Remain focused. Continue to give it your very best effort right up until the last day of term.

• Your colleagues will be curious about why you are leaving. Tell them exactly what you told the headteacher. Assume that anything you say will get back, and negative comments you make can be used to make your colleagues look loyal while making you look like a liar.

• Ensure that you have completed any outstanding tasks and participated in the smooth handover (if this is possible) of any pupil records or other documentation. Keep your Year Leader informed that you are actively participating in this process and that you are being as co-operative as possible.

• Maintain a positive attitude about the school you are leaving and resist gloating about your next job. Your colleagues will remember your professionalism.

• Spend some time to speak to all of your colleagues, including line manager. Thank them for their support and their contribution to your time. Get their contact information because they will be helpful to your future personal and career development.

• If you have an exit interview with the headteacher (some do it, some don’t), avoid any negative comments or criticisms. If you did have problems, be objective and brief in your statements and maintain your professionalism and composure. 

You should remember that you may need to call upon your current Headteacher or HoD for a reference in the future, so do everything possible to leave a lasting impression of a competent, committed and highly professional teacher.

Best of luck!

Posted

Whether I'm thrilled or heartbroken to be going my letter is always the same:

"Dear HT

I wish to give notice of my resignation from the post of xxxx with effect from xxxxx.

Yours sincerely

L Ofthefield"

They're busy.

Posted

That would be mine too, Lily.

You're just officially telling them that you're going and they need to find someone else.

Posted

Thanks everyone

Posted

This is mine

"

Address HereDate  Dear Ms xxxxxxx, I wish to give notice of my resignation from the post of class teacher with effect from xx/xx/xx.
    I would like to take this opportunity to say that making this decision has been difficult, as working at xxxxxxxxx has been a positive experience and one for which I am grateful. The school has always provided me with opportunities to develop my experience and expertise. From joining the school as an NQT and being given the opportunity to be seconded as an acting deputy headteacher at yyyyyyyy, xxxxxxxx has always supported me through my career. I will always have fond memories of the team of staff and I feel privileged to have worked with such a dedicated and supportive group. I am sure that I shall still turn to them when I need guidance. I truly enjoyed working as a class teacher with such a diverse range of children. The opportunity to work in all year groups has given me a wonderful foundation for my continuing career. Within my roles as xxxxxxxx coordinator and member of the SLT I was given the chance to gain a greater understanding of whole school management and leadership.   Please pass on my best wishes to all of the staff at xxxxxxxx and I hope that I can continue to count myself as part of the school community.   Yours sincerely   

Goldcrank"

I'm not looking for a critique. I just thought that it might help someone.

Posted

I don't know what's happened to the formatting. Oh well.

Posted

wow what a fab resignation letter :)

Posted

When I resigned from my last job, I had to look it up on Google as I'd never written one before. I resisted the temptation to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Not because i would ever want a reference from them, but because, had i started telling the truth, the letter would have been as long as 'War and Peace'!!

Posted
    mattizzy

wow what a fab resignation letter :)

So 'fab' it's taken you two years to notice?

Posted

I had some very good advice when I left my last job:

Start as many have said 'Please accept this letter as notice for my resignation on...DATE...

Then I added 'Many thanks for all the wonderful opprtunities I've had here, notably....

then went on to list all the things I'd done for the school, so they were aware should they need a write a reference.

Finished 'I wish you all the best'

Posted

Thanks

Posted

Don't waste time, effort and emotion. Just say you're resigning as from... They don't care; everyone is dispensable and you're just a cog in their machine. Focus your energy on your future instead.

Posted

bobvincent

Don't waste time, effort and emotion. Don't be sentimental. Just say you're resigning as from... They don't care; everyone is dispensable and you're just a cog in their machine. Focus your energy on your future instead.

I didn't mean to tell you twice!

Posted

Know you didn't want a critique, just wanted to say thanks, a great help!

Posted

How is this for a resignation letter?

Dear XXXXXX,

It is with regret and anticipation that I submit my resignation, effective of the end of the summer term on Tuesday 23rd July 2013. I would like to take this opportunity to say that making this decision has been difficult, as working at XXXXXXX has been a positive experience and one for which I am grateful. It has always been a dream of mine to work in the independent sector and I did not believe that this dream would come true at this stage in my career having only recently starting at XXXXXXX.

Yours sincerely

Posted

bobvincent

Don't waste time, effort and emotion. Just say you're resigning as from... They don't care; everyone is dispensable and you're just a cog in their machine. Focus your energy on your future instead.

This.

The governors probably don't know you and the HT may well just be vaguely aware of you, mine just has the one topic of conversation with me that's in his mental box labelled "Mr.M.". No one else will read the letter.

Once gone, you'll hardly be thought about again and they certainly won't remember your resignation letter if you want a reference some years later.

Posted

I've only been here two terms and quite frankly I am chuffed to be moving on to bigger and better things but I thought I would leave a positive letter which this is I believe!

Thanks for the feedback!!

Posted