are paper driving licences valid?

TES Personal - Forum

Join hundreds of teachers getting together and chatting about the stuff that matters to them in the TES Personal Group.

Members 10298 Total Posts 683945

are paper driving licences valid?

i still have my original paper licence..details on it still correct..at work someone said it is illegal now not to have the photo ID one...i have googled and i think i am ok and just texted her to say so but she says i am wrong and look on the direct gov site..i have done and i still think although they like you to have them i am ok until i am 70

what is the law

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I still have mine too! As long as you have not moved and the details are accurate you are fine. It is only when you move you need a new one. As photo ones are only vaild for 10 years I am not changing mine until I have too!

Posted

I've only got the old  style pink paper one, it was seen last year for my mini bus test and nothing was said.   I had to contact DVLC about it and sent copy to them and they didn't say anything about it so I don't think it's a problem.

Unless I move house I'm sticking with mine.

Posted

I only ever had a paper licence. The police weren't bother by this when they took it away. They still have it despite countless requests for its return so I can send it back to DVLA who in turn, blight me with monthly requests for it.

The theory is that the plastic ones don't contain any details of previous offences so when stopped by a copper, he won't be influenced in determining you are a road rogue from any previous behaviour the paper licence showed. In practice, they have access on the vehicle computer to all this stuff anyway.

Posted

If you have only ever had the paper licence then it is perfectly valid just to have the paper licence. I refuse to "upgrade" on the basis of cost - not only do they charge you for the upgrade but they charge you for the 10-year renewals.

My little pink and green paper is good until I hit 70

Posted
    I still have the original green paper one and i understand that it remains valid until I move house or reach 70.
    Posted

PlymouthMaid
    until I move house

I'd hazzard a guess I've moved home 4 times since I was last banned and got my licence back. Nobody gave a sh!t about this when I was stopped last time.
    Posted

I have to add, of course, I hadn't informed them of my new addresses.

Posted
    Yes still valid! Had to take mine to the police when I had an accident no eyebrows raised. Agree with others - it's only when you move house you have to change. The only places it seems to be invalid is in silly supermarkets when they ask you for ID and you only have a paper licence and they don't realise you have to be over 25 to still have one!!
    Posted

Yup - still valid.

I don't even have to change mine when I move - seems daft that you do in the UK.

Mind you, our paper ones (I had to swap my UK one for a German one after 12 months residency) contain a photo (my photo is over 20 years old so what use it would serve as potential ID God only knows).

Posted

Yep, still valid.

I had to send mine to Swansea for them to add a little note of well wishes to the bottom Sad

I was ecpecting to have to apply for a new photocard, instead they sent the paper one back and even neatly sellotaped it back together.

The 2nd European Driving Directive means that we should all have swapped over to photocards by now, but I think the DVLA have seen sense and realised the cost of the free replacements they promised would be extortionate. They are probably just assuming that the paper licences will just gradually become extinct.

I'll probably keep mine until I decide to have the well wishes removed from it. Then again it still has some notes on it from 20+ years ago that don't realy bother anybody.

Posted