National School Sport Apprenticeships

TES Physical education - Forum

The TES Physical Education group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in PE teaching.

Members 2672 Total Posts 6757
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

National School Sport Apprenticeships

National School Sport Apprenticeships sees schools employ an Apprentice to support the delivery of PE and School Sport. The website will be launched in 5 days www.schoolsportapprenticeships.org.uk. More information to follow. Sound interesting?
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Sounds like a great way to continue undermining PE as a subject and encourage schools to bring in low cost unqualified "support" as opposed to committing to proper investment in program development.

As long as the focus is on using the "apprenticeship" as an avenue to full qualification (University/PGCE) and not deluding these young people into thinking they will become fully qualified teachers at the end of it there could be some potential, particularly in the area of notice board development.

Despite my very jaded and obviously biased views I am interested in seeing the framework and what the ultimate goal will be. MoC
    Posted

Take a look at the website. The apprentices will gain an NVQ Level 2 in Activity Leadership, no where does it suggest that the apprentice will 'expect' to be able to 'teach' on completion of the apprenticeship. I think it sounds like a great idea, who wouldn't benefit from an extra pair of hands to set up equipment, help with extra curricular activities, coming along to matches etc etc. Plus the apprentice will be gaining real work experience, gaining a recognised qualification and getting a small income.

Posted

Not sure which website you are looking at, but the one in the OP is still not up and running? I am sure there is some value in the "qualification"; however, it should be made very explicit to any participants that it is not a teaching qualification. This, BTEC, GCSE and A-level seem to be sold as ways of becoming a PE teacher when they are only a very very small part of a much bigger process (which includes University) that is often glossed over for the sake of getting higher numbers.

I am sure there are a lot of students who will benefit, but again, I know there will be some who are genuinely shocked once having completed it that they are not qualified to teach.

You hit the nail on the head, it will be a great support (eg. TA) role, but not much more.

MoC
    Posted
    giggirl

Take a look at the website. The apprentices will gain an NVQ Level 2 in Activity Leadership, no where does it suggest that the apprentice will 'expect' to be able to 'teach' on completion of the apprenticeship. I think it sounds like a great idea, who wouldn't benefit from an extra pair of hands to set up equipment, help with extra curricular activities, coming along to matches etc etc. Plus the apprentice will be gaining real work experience, gaining a recognised qualification and getting a small income.

But they will end up teaching with the low motivation and standards of primary teachers with regards to PE. The teacher will stay in the class typing up signs for a new wall display, whilst the apprentice will take the kids outside to run some little relays. Activity Leadership is a joke - a pointless qualification only designed to hide the number of NEETs in this country. Why not fund a rugby award, or a hockey award. I would have no issue with a Level 2 rugby or hockey coach taking a group of kids on their own.
    Posted
    What job will they get? Maybe a Level 1 Teaching assistant job. But you are going to get kids who think they are teachers. This country has dumbed down massively with sport. It is bad enough we have sub standard polys dishing out 'PE and Youth Sport' graduates, let alone kids who barely have a GCSE between then let loose in front of our kids.
    Posted

http://www.schoolsportapprenticeships.org.uk/

Here's the website!

Read what it says, it doesn't suggest anywhere that an apprentice will expect to be able to teach following the training. It does say that they may be able to pick up coaching awards whilst on the apprenticeship, something a BTEC allows for too. The furtheset they could possibly get is a Level 3 qualification which could be the entry route to a BEd or other routes to teaching. They would then start the 'journey' in exactly the same way as an A level student and have the same rigorous training, if they did choose a teaching career after the apprenticeship. PE teaching is not their only option!

Posted

giggirl
    The furtheset they could possibly get is a Level 3 qualification which could be the entry route to a BEd or other routes to teaching.

God help us.

Posted

You must have a better link than I do, the one you posted and the one in the OP just go to a "website is coming" page and a quick search does not bring back anything relevant.

Here is my issue. This is not a start for getting into teaching. This is a dumbed down option that allows students an excuse not to pursue a proper academic route through A-Levels, which is what is what SHOULD be required for entrance to university and teaching qualification. I fully agree with GGJ's comment that this will only further enable what are generally desperately poor provisions at primary.

Coaching awards and pseudo-qualifications serve very little purpose beyond keeping kids, who can't be bothered to gain full A-Level's, busy and providing schools padding for their league table stats as it is virtually impossible for someone to not gain the highest levels due to some very poor constructed and implemented curriculum and assessment (I.E. BTEC).

PE needs to be better, this is not the way.

Posted
    I have just clicked my link and it takes me straight to the website! I do agree that BTECs are not as academic in any way, shape or form as A levels but until things changed DMM in the Extended Diploma will allow progression to university, either a BEd or a degree followed by a PGCE. Not many schools offer the full level 3 BTECS, round here it is offered instead of GCSE and is equal to two Cs. The FE colleges offer it and I've seen students who got excellent GCSEs but didn't want to do A levels opt for the BTECS. They complete their BTECS with a number of coaching awards, loads of work experience, modules in anatomy and physiology and as capable as some A level students to start training to be a PE teacher. If they get through their training in the same way as their A level contemporaries, pass their assessments and gain QTS then why should they be any less able to teach in the end?
    Posted

Right... I've had a good look at this.

First it is set up by a training company called Active Synergy. They receive some skills funding from the Government, 

The name 'National School Sport Apprentices' implies it is a Government scheme, but I don't think it is. Mis-use of the word 'National'.

Basically it is cheap labour with PE staff helping them to complete their NVQs which are accredited by 1st4sport.

Ryan is employed by the East Manchester Academy on an apprentice wage of £2.60 per hour and he works 37 hours per week as part of a 12 month contract. The total cost to the school to employ Ryan is just over £5000.00 per annum.

So for schools this is a cheap member of staff. In primary schools this 5K to them in a full time PE teacher.

giggirl
    They complete their BTECS with a number of coaching awards, loads of work experience, modules in anatomy and physiology and as capable as some A level students to start training to be a PE teacher. If they get through their training in the same way as their A level contemporaries, pass their assessments and gain QTS then why should they be any less able to teach in the end?

In the private sector there are coaches who don't have various qualifications - but they are highly qualified and experienced in their chosen sport - rugby, cricket etc. These are coaches who have played the sport since being a kid, and have received coaching from top coaches along the way, and now share that with students. They work on the job and may after a few years go down a teaching route. I have no problem with this. The private system is geared up to this to exploit people's talents, for example the Science teacher who plays first team cricket for his club on a Saturday is given Wednesday afternoons out of the lab to take one of the school's teams. 

Posted

gogojonny
    Ryan is employed by the East Manchester Academy on an apprentice wage of £2.60 per hour

Alternatively, Ryan works at McDonald's for 4-77 pounds (no pound sign on my keyboard!) or 3-53 pounds an hour (depending on age), gets to deal with the same kids but probably gets better training and a free meal (but no toy)

Posted
    Your responses show a lack of knowledge possibly ignorance of apprenticeships. The national minimum wage for an apprentice is £2.60, whilst on an apprenticeship the apprentice is earning whilst they learn. With no EMA or ALG for young people it is a great way to train 'on the job'. An apprentice plumber, apprentice electrician know that one day they may be an electrician or plumber but know that their NVQ Level 1 will only be the first step on the ladder; just like these sport apprenticeships. Have a chat with yor LSAs, BSAs and TAs, you may be surprised how many of them are doing an NVQ, they do not think that once completed they'll be teachers!
    Posted

giggirl
    Your responses show a lack of knowledge possibly ignorance of apprenticeships.

A plumber earns a basic wage in order to get a plumbing qualification, something quite valuable and worth having, something with industry regulations so that only qualified people can act as a plumber.

A NVQ in Activity Leadership is a pointless qualification. Will the school send them on more training to get proper sports coaching awards? Maybe but doubt it.

Posted

Fantastic! We can close all of the PE degree courses and replace them with "on the job learning" with a bunch of Ryans. Sheer genius - why has it never been thought of before?

Quite simple - it is degrading the subject and insulting to "proper" teachers. Even after WWII, the emergency training given for teachers was 2 years - not apprenticeships

On the job learning starts after your degree when you develop your teaching skills by learning from your more experienced colleagues - I qualified during the Ice Age and I'm still learning

If Ryan is intelligent enough to get to a degree course then he shouldn't be doing an "apprenticeship", He should be taking exam courses that give him the qualifications to get on his degree course

Can you imagine it in any other subject? 

I feel sorry for all of you back in the UK having to put up with all this tosh. Get abroad and do some proper teaching like it used to be

Posted

Where does it say every young person on the apprenticeship wants to be a PE TEACHER?

Where does it say that it will lead to being a TEACHER?

There are many opportunities in sport/activity leadership that do not involve being a PE teacher.

Believe it or not an apprenticeship is a qualification that will get someone onto a degree course.

Look on here: www.apprenticeships.org.uk to actually find out what an apprenticeship is all about.

Look on here www.ucas.ac.uk to see how many universtites accept a BTEC or an NVQ level 3 as an entry requirement onto their degree courses.

I think we'll agree to differ on this one!

Posted

giggirl

Look on here www.ucas.ac.uk to see how many universtites accept a BTEC or an NVQ level 3 as an entry requirement onto their degree courses.

With the fees I think most would accept a used Wispa wrapper

Posted

Now, now GGJ, don't be sarcastic

That's my job Wink

Posted

gogojonny
    With the fees I think most would accept a used Wispa wrapper

Good job you're not advising students on their HE options! Yet another ignorant reply... Angry

Posted

giggirl
    Yet another ignorant reply... Angry

What's the problem?

Do they not make Wispa bars anymore? Big Smile

Posted