Forums

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25604 Total Posts 190346

Year 6 - Explanation Texts.

Hey Guys!

I'm spending a week doing Explanation Texts with my Year 6 class next week. Does anybody have any ideas on how to make this remotely exciting?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated...
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    unfortunately can not think of an interesting way - but I linked this to science (kill two birds with one stone and do a bit of science revision) we did an explanation text looking at why things occur and related it to the sun, moon and earth
    Posted
    I used The Shirt Machine Video from the framework cos kids hadn't done it in Y4! I used that as a basis for how to organize an explanation text and built on that for features. The kids then worked in pairs to make their own 'incredible machine'. We used construction kits. They then worked on writing an explanation for their machine. They paired up with another two to read explanations and discuss whether the writing actually explained their machine's workings. We had great fun and got some excellent writing. :0)
    Posted
    We tried linking to Science recently but not only was it dull, dull, dull but also hard, hard, hard!!! Ended up teaching lots of science alongside the literacy and it was all too much for some of my class!! (and me!)

Then stumbled across a fab book while I was out shopping called Until I Met Dudley which is written by a child who thinks that toasters/dishwashers etc are powered by underground goblins / cats squeezing in through a special cat flap etc!! That is, until she meets Dudley, an intellectual dog who explains things clearly step by step. Will def try to use this next year at least for examples if not writing our own page. Am sure you could find this on amazon.

Also, try to keep the topic of the explanation fairly simple maybe.

Posted
    I linked it with our Science- we looked at adaptation and variation. The children created their own animals that had adapted to suit it's environment. They then used this animal to create an explanation report about it. The children really enjoyed it and we had some very strange animals!
    Posted