Forums

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25143 Total Posts 187325

SpaCe topic KS1

Does anyone have any nice ideas for this topic? So far we have talked about the Earth and the solar system including the 8 planets. The children have all researched about one of the planets for homework too. We have looked at the sun and at constellations. Now we are a bit stuck! What else would you teach. We dont want them to just be listening to a whole load of facts every lesson either! We have made planets using playdough and plasticine, we have used ICT to make the solar system, and we have written facts about Earth in our books. Not sure where to go next!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

try NASA kids club

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forkids/kidsclub/flash/index.html

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/index.html
    Posted
    Posted

My space planning for year 1 class is here

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6026174

We did a week on rockets, a week on getting ready for our trip to outer space, a week on the moon, a week on the sun, a week on planets.

Posted

Work on Neil Armstrong, drama, role play the moon landing, discuss if we should continue the programme of space travel

Posted

All the above are brilliant. I know a few schools that have got the huge planetarium into school---it's a huge ball they blow up and do stars and light shows inside. We went to a museum that had loads of galleries on light and dark and watched a film at the cinema on space...was cool. Download clips of space....moon landings, astronauts having christmas etc. Lots of art you can do....black paper-stars, rockets, DTmaking rockets n planets. PE-moon walking to music of moonwalk-got off youtube, gymnastics-making different shapes, rolling on moon.

Writing letter from the moon.

Try link it to lit...what's your topic?

Posted

Thanks! Meant to say we did day and night too. Have done lots of art activitis, creating constellations, rocket collage with splatterd paint, oil pastels and paint to create solar system. Maybe we could do something about rockets.

Our topic is space and our science unit is electricity which we teach as a subject on its own.

Posted
    Black balloons and yellow dot stickers, make the constellations they have learnt about. Or you could get paper bowls and carefully make holes then in dark room shine a torch through to see them. Day and night is always good or you can look at the seasons and position due to earth spin etc.
    Posted

We're doing a space topic in my y1 class this half term. We have started off with art using different techniques to make space pictures, blending chalk, flicking paint using differnt tools, blowing paint to make shooting stars - we also made a meteor shower on our classroom window by flicking paint and the children painted the planets on the windows - it looks fab Big Smile

We are doing some history this week around neil armstrong and the moonlanding, we're then going to build a rocket as part of D+T to send to the moon and co-incidently Y5 are making rockets with an outside agency so we are going to watch them launch them in the playground and maybe launch our own! We are going to look more closely at the planet earth and the creatures we can find on it (gods creatures), what makes a living animal, animals and their young, one of our TAs dogs has just had a litter or puppies so shes going to bring them in for us Cool was also debating doing some geography around the topic, get a alien to 'land in the playground,' going to tell him about what our local area on earth is like and draw some maps to help him find a new launch spot for his spaceship to go some. 

Posted

i love the idea of doing a study of neil armstrong and i really like the idea of tying in geography objectives too! thanks!

Posted

I have an interview for a PGCE next Tuesday(19th) and need to do a10 minute presentation.

I thought I would do mine on the Space Shuttle launch. I'll be presenting to the interview panel as if to a Y1 group (which will be a little odd). My plan at the moment is to begin by asking them to close their eyes and imagine they are looking up at the sky, asking what they can see etc. I will then say that there are lots of things up in the sky that we can't see, that something very exciting happened that they might have heard about (listen to ideas etc) and then get them to open their eyes when I'll be holding up a large coloured pic of the space shuttle taking off.

I thought I could then talk about what the astronauts would be feeling as they waited to take off into space etc, and maybe get the panel to sit in the positions for take off and talk about what they can see as they take off through the clouds/space etc.

Not sure where to go from there/how to wrap it up as it's only a short talk, but as a little touch I'm going to make some "astronaut" badges for the panel to take home with them..

Can anybody help with this? Is it a good idea for a 10 minutes presentation?Is there any hand-out activity they could do during the talk?

I have only just heard about the interview so don't have long to prepare but I wanted to do something current and different. What other basic facts can I talk about without dragging the talk on?

Eeek!

Posted

Do you have access to IWB or CD player? You could ask them to close their eyes and then play the count down prior to space shuttle launch (loads of clips on youtube that you could use). Then ask them what they thought it was, partner talk etc, you could then show a bit of the launch (really give them a feel of what it would be like - all that noise and power!). I like your idea of getting them to sit in the positions for take off! Maybe discuss how they would feel though, rather than what they would see and justify what they say - why do you feel excited, scared, amazed etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwHyNmsaE74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FROxZ5i67k

Posted

Thanks comenius!

I don't think there will be any tech-like things available, but I like the idea of listening to the launch somehow. I will have to see if there is some way I can play a CD and have the launch count-down and take off noises... hmm...

Maybe I'll call the uni and see what will be available on the day.

Posted