Forums

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25253 Total Posts 188260

SCITT interview...ideas please!!

I have an interview with a SCITT provider at a Primary School in January.

It looks like a really intense day which includes the Maths and English tests, Team Based Activities with the other candidates, a 'Learning Conversation' and a formal interview.  On top of all this I have to plan and deliver a 30 minutes lesson based on a story of my choice, I have loads of ideas but the lesson has to be for Year 1 or 2 and this is well out of my comfort zone and I don't really know whether my ideas would work with the younger children! 

I have been Cover Supervising in a Secondary School for the past 5 years so I am confident about my classroom presence etc, but this is the opposite end of the spectrum.  Had it been a Year 5-6 class I would have had hundreds of ideas but having not worked with Year 1-2 I am really struggling...I think it's because this is so important to me, it's all I want and I've worked so hard for the past 5 1/2 years gaining a degree whilst working full-time and raising a family that every time I think about the interview day I actually feel sick and tearful...I feel like this is my chance at last to do what I really really want and I don't want to blow it!  I'm even having dreams about the day going horribly wrong, from unplanned lessons to getting lost on the school grounds, so it's obviously playing on my mind!!

Anyway, before I started my inane waffling the points I wanted to make were; any suggestions for suitable stories, and any suggestions as to how I could excel in the lesson.

I don't really want to go for a straight literacy lesson as I think that's too obvious, but with 30 minutes for the whole thing its going to be tight whatever I do!

Ok, deep breaths....panic subsiding!

Thanks in advance!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

How about some drama with a really familiar story?
    I did some great drama activities around the story Little Red Hen on a Talk for Writing course recently - have a look at the Pie Corbett and Talk for Writing stuff on the strategies site (if it's still there!).
    We retold the story using actions, from the different characters' perspectives.... and lots of other ways I can't remember at the moment. It would be great fun, simple to organise, few resources needed and relatively easy to fit one or two activities (maybe a group activity and a paired activity) into one half hour session.

Good luck!

Posted

Hi, I'm afriad I can't help with any specific activities - I'm actually working in a seconday too, but next year am training in Primary with the hope to teach KS2 afterwards, so I know how you feel! My advice would be to try to get even just a couple hours in a primary school to observe and get some ideas, and maybe even put some ideas you already have into practice. It would also help to maybe be able to talk to a KS1 teacher over the phone, or face to face, as this might help to really get some ideas rolling

Try not to panic, you've worked hard to get here, and after all, they're not after perfection, that's what the training's for :)

Good luck! 

Posted

Hi,

I think drama/role play is a good idea. We did some work based around Little Red Riding Hood with out year 3's last year. We read the story and then we talked about what the pupils would want to take to grandmas house. We got them to write/draw ideas on paper then stuck them to the basket. We also did some stuff on consequences for the wolf why he did it, what reasons he had for trying to eat grandma.  Ideas we did around this were a court scene with pupils arguing for and againest convicting the wolf. Then we discussed ideas for punishment and ways the wolf could make amends.

This could be used for other fairy tales. Books I know year 2 used last year were the gruffalo and funny bones - about the skeletons.

Good Luck 

Posted

Thank you very much everyone, I am still having a good think about what I am going to do.  I would love to do some drama and have just read right through the National Strategies document on the Talk for Writing stuff which was really interesting, I'm just not sure how I could develop it in any depth in 30 minutes, but then thats because I am inexperienced!!  Am I perhaps hoping for too much in 30 minutes?

I have been into a Primary but have been focussed on KS2, I had already arranged another 3 days work experience within a Primary School which happens to fall the week before I have my interview, I was going in to work with Year 3/4 but I will now ask if I can spend a couple of days with Year 1/2 and have a chance to try out a couple of ideas!  I would quite like to do some science/maths based activities as I want to stand out, and I'm not sure whether literacy based activities will be the obvious choice for 'a lesson based on a story of your choice'. 

I think I need to relax a little about it all, but I have never wanted anything so much in my life so I am building it up inside to panic mode!!

Posted

Maths through stories is a great idea. I love Jim and the beanstalk  (or an extract from it: it's quite long for a 30 minute lesson). I've used it in Y3/4 as an introduction to measuring but I'm sure you can differentiate it down to Y1/2.

The story is about Jim, who goes up the beanstalk and meets the Giant, who is now old. His sight is failing, but Jim goes back down the beanstalk and gets an optician to make a giant-sized pair of specs. He then has large false teeth and other things made, but you could concentrate on the specs.

You could get some glasses (visit Specsavers or similar, maybe they'd lend you some glasses from their "donations" box?) , read the story, ask the children to identify the maths (measuring) and then for middle/higher ability maybe measure each other using string for fitting glasses, for lower ability use the glasses as non-standard units of measure: e.g. the table is 13 pairs of glasses wide and 18 pairs of glasses long.

Plenary could be about why using glasses as a unit of measure is not very reliable - and making a quick mind map of the standards units of measure they already know about.

Posted

Hi -how about something on Jack and the Beanstalk? Someone once shared an idea with me which I then did with my class of Y1s. We watched the first part of Cbeebies Jack and the beanstalk then paused when Jack got to top. Chn then went back to tables and listed to 'growing'music (Spring?)and planted a 'magic bean' (jelly bean) in their own tub. Then they had lots of talk about what they might feel climbing and what land they might see at the top. I forget if the objective was to use descriptive language or describe a fantasy setting. Probably the former.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have lots of good ideas, so try not to panic xx.

Posted