Forums

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25153 Total Posts 187411

lesson observation: pirate directional language

hi all, just after some advice and ideas?

am teaching an observed lesson with yr2 with the learning objective being to use directional language.

my plan is to read a pirate related book, perhaps buried treasure, pirate pete or the night pirates, then introduce task of looking for buried treasure outside. Recap directional language for directing partner to treasure. 

My query is how to set up outside.  give children certain places to direct their partner to and check for treasure, give them a map to identify potential areas to direct partner to. they'd need to use language such as anticlockwise, quarter turn etc.  Just unsure as to how this bit would work. Can picture it in my mind, but cant think of how to organise it. Im thinking not to actually put any treasure outside, but when they come inside, ill describe somewhere in the classroom using positional language, and then they find it.

Hope you can help

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    It sounds a fab idea. How about laminating sets of picture cards, (6 sets should be enough) with a waterfall, palm tree, beach, boulder, old shack, overflowing treasure chest, and a set of direction words that you want the children to use. Then use sticky tape to fix the picture cards to PE cones to mark out an area. Get one child to walk the directions given to each 'clue' eg forwards 5 paces to the waterfall, turn one quarter turn left to reach the palm tree. Once the children have seen a demonstration they should be able to work in 4s to set up their own game and then work in pairs, one pair watching and one pair navigating around their 'island'.  The challenge is that they have to use the vocab cards to direct their partner.
    Posted
    Absolutely perfect, thank u!!!
    Posted

I've been playing around with the idea myself now, do you want a copy?  lizzzyy@live.co.uk

Posted
    there is a nice story about finding a treasure map and following directions on here . . . http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/short-stories/the-treasure-map
    Posted
    daybyday

I've been playing around with the idea myself now, do you want a copy?  lizzzyy@live.co.uk

Hi daybyday, The idea sounds fab, we are doing pirates this term and was thinking of doing treasure maps. I like your idea of giving the children cards to help them on their way around the map. Any chance of a copy please? deb_m77@hotmail.com
    Posted