Powerful verbs - activity ideas?

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25325 Total Posts 188837

Powerful verbs - activity ideas?

Hi - i teach year 3 and am being observed on Wednesday. I'm in phase 2 of a narrative unit at the moment and thought "powerful verbs to create impact/suspense" would be a great lesson. My class are used to VC~OP lessons and we have a display using the super hero theme.
    My problem is that although i feel i am a good teacher I've had a few confidence knocks and where i once could say I've only had good/ outstanding lesson observations my nerves get the best of me and have recently been seen to be satisfactory with elements of god. Obviously I am anxious to improve and would love to get a good observation under my belt.
    My problem is that i am so anxious to show what i can do i tend to over complicate the lesson.
    What i am looking for help with is ideas to get the children really motivated and activities that don't include the tired old "change said to a powerful verb!"
    I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Hi , I used templates of a bee with a blank space in the centre so that the children could insert their chosen verb. We hung these up around the classroom.
    Group discussion prior to this using a charades activity where the children had to guess the verb.
    Posted
    This may work better for adverbs, but it might still work for verbs:
    What about doing a charades type activity where the child has to act out the verb and the rest of the class have to guess (obviously talking would be necessary in some cases)
    Posted
    thanks - I'm thinking of introducing Juliateacher's chilli pepper in Tuesdays lesson on time connectives as openers, but not showing thm the fiery ideas dancing pepper until the observation lesson. My class is a difficult one so Ihave to chop and change strategies to keep them interested.
    I lik the idea of children being able to evaluate "hot" sentences throughout the lesson.

I've found a "super hero chilli pepper so could fit that into existing theme.

HT very keen on ofsted criteria and i know some of the things she'll be looking for although i haven't been given a focus.
    I would normally gat SEN children to ocus on "Big talking" and ask TA to support roleplay leading to children being able to verbalise "Hot sentences" but i'm a little worrid that HT will not see this as "learning" because they would produce written work... what do you think?
    Posted
    ^
    Posted
    Im obviously not your HT but wouldnt have a problem with a group talking sentences as long as books demonstrate this approach is impacting on their writing.
    Will give this thread some more thought
    Posted
    http://www.icteachers.co.uk/children/sats/verbs2.htm

http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/Phase2delivery/Wales/Lit...

quite like idea of verb plants for a less interactive activity for one group http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/publications/lit...

good list of verbs here that you might be able to use
    http://www.getintouni.com/Free/PowerfulVerbs/

A FEW RESOURCES that might help
    one suggestion might be too look at texts and undlerline the powerful verbs that create suspense and see which they are.

Another activity which might get them engaged would be something practical eg as them to do something as a pair eg little dramas and then others watch and describe what was happening and these could be verbs that could be improved.

At moment thinking off top of head cant you tell!!!
    To be a good lesson really push the MA ones to be producing sentences of a good level for age. Do an uplevelling activity.

Pace dont keep them long on carpet.

Keep them really engaged thats the key i think with something they are enjoying and thats what im trying to think of at moment why they would be engaged.
    Posted
    Thanks Bluerose - rally appreciate your help.

Like the plants - as I've got a feeling HT won't see the value in "spoken" work - i may incorporate them into the SEN group work.
    Posted
    Thanks again -
    This is what i'm hoping to do tomorrow - the lesson introduction will include me rolplaying different ways of walking to encourage use of powerful verbs. I've mead a activ flipchart to model impact of using different words for said - and will model writing "Hot" sentences using powerful verbs (and reinforce punctuation for direct speech)

I've adaptd the plant idea to incorporate the chilli pepper theme and my SEN group will be with their TA (one boy with statement so extra literacy time). They will be discussing / roleplaying different powerful verbs for "went" - then recording on chilli - peppers which will be displayed on our new hot sentence wall.

MA - will be given speech bubbles with a saying in them and a selection of powerful verbs. They have to choose which would be appropriate then write a as sentence including correct punctuation (consolidation of today's punc lesson). The LA group will have this task but will have adult support.

HA - Bland sentences to uplevel using powerful verbs - compare the impact of using different verbs during plenary. I'll work with one group to support and encourage children to uplevel using openers too - as this seems to be an area of difficulty with this group.

Plenary will be sharing some of the sentences and asking groups to work together to decide whether it's "hot" HOT HOT or "HOT HOT HOT" - (and why) and using th fiery ideas dancing chilli pepper.

I know that it all depends on my delivery but hopefully it will be ok
    Posted
    I recently tried this for an observation and got and outstanding, having gone for good!

Decide on the verbs you want them to use.
    e.g. running, shouting etc.

Sort out some powerful synonymns for your verbs and write them on cards. Distribute these around the class - you can obviously differentiate around table groups. Ask the children for a word that is similar or the same as the one on your board. Get children to discuss on their tables or in talk partners thereby inlcuding everyone. When they have decided, bring it up to the board to stick it on. Or if you are using IWB have the powerful words on one side and the synonym on the other and they have to move it to be with its partner. Works a treat. Plus don't forget, children can't conjure them out of the air - they have to know and see them to be able to us them. Good luck.
    Posted
    good luck
    Posted
    Thanks

(and i really do appreciate you taking the time to help - i know how busy you must be)
    Posted
    No problem Mrs H

If we can't support each other there's no hope!! I have picked up so many useful ideas just from reading things other people have tried - you can't re-invent the wheel all the time.

Enjoy your lesson, don't over plan, feel ready. When is your obs? Would love to know what you tried and how it went.
    Posted
    Lesson went well - good overall which I'm happy with. Childrn behaved well and as I'm absolutely full of head cold I'm really pleased.
    Thanks again to those who gave their time to help :o)
    Posted