More Confessions

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25432 Total Posts 189437
Please enter a number between 1 and 39 Page of 39 »

More Confessions

It's been a good couple of years now since my last thread of confessions, so I thought it time to update. So here goes...

• I don't think that sharing success criteria achieves anything in the long term
    • I think lots of primary school teachers don't understand some of the grammar they are attempting to teach
    • I think that the new curriculum will make relatively insignificant difference to what happens in our classrooms
    • I don't think that 2 hours of PE a week is a sensible target
    • I don't think it's important to have children's work on the walls
    • I don't think the kids give a toss about their Literacy targets, or Numeracy targets, or any other targets for that matter
    • I hate laminating

There. Glad I've got that off my chest. Feel free to add your own.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I don't see why I have to put displays up in the corridor where no-one ever looks at them.

I hate having to ask for ink for my printer, like I'm not supposed to use it all up!

I wish there were some textbooks I could get the kids to work from every now and then.

I don't see why I have to listen to patronising advice from people, just because I'm an NQT. And look pleased about it!

I hate the way it's always the nice kids that leave.

Posted

I do have the occasional text book lesson.

I hate APP.

I want Science SATs back.

Learning walls, key words etc are a waste of time.

I do 'fun' science practicals which aren't part of the curriculum!

Lots of my assessment is from tests.

I only do display work when I want a light marking week.

Posted

Haha, I like this, the true side of teaching.

Posted

paulie86

I do have the occasional text book lesson.

I hate APP.

I want Science SATs back.

Learning walls, key words etc are a waste of time.

I do 'fun' science practicals which aren't part of the curriculum!

Lots of my assessment is from tests.

I only do display work when I want a light marking week.

I agree with every single one of these! Especially the APP one...

Posted

Sometime children just have to learn things

We don't need to change wall displays every 5 minutes to keep the children's attention

Just because we fit in 101 things during the day doesn't mean we've  done them all well, we've just done them

There is no point in linking subjects just for the sake of it, not everything goes together.

Posted

i don't really like being outside :(

Posted

* I hate guided reading, and it rarely gets done.

* Some of my best lessons are where we've gone off on a tangent, or I've winged it.

* Sometimes pupils appreciate being talked to like normal people, rather than "teacher language."

* A teacher who's been in the job 18 years is not necessarily good at the job.

* My paperwork is often so drastically behind, if the Head asked to see it at once, I would be forced to do a Basil Fawlty-style faint.

Posted

I hate being asked to cover other people's duties.

APP is a complete waste of time and paper.

Parents are the main cause of most problems in children.

The nicey nicey approach to things takes too long and panders to kids encouraging more problems.

Why study villages across the world when most don't know the Capital of England.

Writing reports is incredibly boring and not really sure who pays them any attention.

Rant over.... :)

Posted

I hate marking and rarely do it - bad girl!

do a lot of the other stuff above- ho hum!

Posted

I think I put this on the last confessions thread but still....

I LIKE a class to work in silence.

The so-called "creative" curriculum isn't. 

Posted

I did look at the profiles from reception class for a bit but then sorted my groups out based on my assessment and put the profiles at the back of the cupboard.

I reallly hate whiteboards and pens. 

Learning objectives are, for some, a waste of time because by the time it's written down, the lesson is over.

Heads who actively avoid teaching have no right to judge your teaching.

Not all heads are good teachers.

Teachers should not get a payrise every year just because they have taught for another year.

You can put all the comments, response marking, etc in a book but children still look for the team points.

SEAL and Circle time are really boring but easy planning.

No I couldn't actually tell you the exact sublevel of children in PE after that lesson. I was actually trying to make sure that no one hurt themselves.

Teaching gymnastics quite frankly scares me because backward rolls and cartwheels are unnatural. Get a PE teacher.

Do you really need the level of RE as well? -  that is not going to affect their life.

Teachers are hypocrites - we tell the children to tidy up yet in a typical staffroom, how many cups are left in the sink? (As a supply teacher - let me tell you - loads)

Posted

I love this thread!

• I like the children to work in silence (so I can help the ones who need it!)
    • I use textbooks in maths lessons regularly (sometimes they just need practise with a particular type of calculation to make sure they have got it!)
    • I don't like teaching PE!
    • Hate science investigations!
    • I hate when children ask if they can stay and do jobs - no go outside, I need a break from you!!
    Posted

So much honesty!

I think heads should teach - even if it's just a bit, now and again.

And yay to all of the above!

Posted

I hate planning.

I hate staff meetings and all the pseudo management speak.

I don't like teaching music lessons and missed loads last term with the excuse of the Christmas play!

I think sometimes staff and parents should just be told a plain no and not be pussy footed round.

I also hate APP and dread the fact that Science APP may be coming soon.

I think Year 2 SAT's are a waste of time

I also think that the primary curriculum is way too hard and has leaped up far too much- do children really understand half of what we are teaching them?

Does anyone actually do Guided Writing like how the LEA's show you on course days with the scarily quiet class that never interuppts the teacher?

I think sometimes TA's are more a hindrance than a help. ( not mine tho!!)

I wished I worked with more men- women get so upset over the silliest of things!

I hate treating children like numbers- they won't all hit their target and even if I stood on my head gving them intervention groups till I popped it still wouldn't make that much diffference!!

Posted
    Ooh me!

*very quietly*

I don't understand layered targets.

Please don't tell anyone!
    Posted

I think this is my new favourite thread... I agree with so much!

• I hate APP
    • I hate having nothing to plan from and no guidance other than the stupid framework which I also dislike
    •  I love my class working in silence and get stressed if there is too much noise!
    • I love doing my displays as they are a way of relaxing but I know for a fact my children take no notice of it so there is no point in doing them....
    • I hate the fact we are observed constantly. As someone in another thread said, GPs arent observed practising, why are we so much?
    Posted

Ooh, is it OK for me to have a long list....?

Learning Objectives and success criteria - how much notice do the kids really take?

APP - enough said

Headteachers that don't teach - don't comment on mine if you aren't willing to teach a class

Planning overload

Too many literacy areas to look at - guided reading, guided writing, Big Writing, APP, speaking and listening....

Schools that pussy foot around very badly behaved children - they're not going to be able to behave that way at high school / wider world so don't set them up for a fall

Being given more and more subjects to squeeze in to the timetable

Schools who have too much equipment on the playground - what happens to children's use of imagination???

Creative curriculum - just an excuse to be able to squeeze foundation subjects together to make room for more subjects (MFL, PSHE, citizenship...)

Teaching french - what's the point when when they go to secondary they are all at different levels and start from the beginning again?

Being micro-managed by heads, government, country at large - why are we treated like children?!

Parents - let me get on with my job the best I can

Courses run by people with fantastic ideas but don't teach (ie critical skills courses I have been on....!) Do you know how much we already have to do?????

Applying for new jobs and having to look around schools and then having 200+ people go for the same post

Posted

Where do I start? ...

• Some kids just aren't clever - let them enjoy life instead of endless interventions!
    • Interventions are often a waste of time
    • Children in primary school shouldn't need to have to explain what a fair test is
    • We cover way too much in maths and science and kill any enjoyment of either
    • Children don't read the marking i spent 2 hours on last night
    • I remember about 5% of what I did at primary school, can't imagine my class will remember diddley squat about their time with me.
    • I like it when we have an unplanned chat as a class where we all end up crying with laughter - no I wouldn't have shared a learning objective for that.
    • I hate that everything gets thrown out and frowned apon every two years
    • I love going on courses because I get to go home at 3pm and not mark any books.

So many more...

Posted
    Oh marking! I hate to have to write sentences critiquing a year 2 child's work when they can barely read. What is the point?
    Posted