More Confessions

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25152 Total Posts 187395
« Please enter a number between 1 and 39 Page of 39 »

More Confessions

Jazmiya

Where do I start? ...

• I love going on courses because I get to go home at 3pm and not mark any books.

So many more...

Couldn't agree more with that one- also you get a decent amount of time to eat your lunch too on a course!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Few more things I hate.....

- being criticised and then offered no support

- too much marking as others have said....

- chn spending ages in the classroom before going to lunch and break... I only have 15 mins to grab tea, please dont use ten of them putting your coat on.

- too much planning which half the time I dont end up using as chn ask questions and we follow tangents which half the time are more helpful.

- trying to get year 5 chn to use full stops - it clearly isnt working, i give up trying!

- targets.... so much emphasis. Chn dont care, achieve them one day and then dont achieve them a week later. 

grrrrr!!

Posted

Confession:

I always avoid work by reading all the vaguely relevant threads on here...

I've never actually done guided reading, despite having taught in a full-time class for 2 years...

writing comments for children who can't read them is pointless - we might as well address them Dear parent/Dear Ofsted inspector/Dear Subject monitor...

I also agree with other confessions on here too!

Posted
    starsanddreams

- targets.... so much emphasis. Chn dont care, achieve them one day and then dont achieve them a week later. 

grrrrr!!

This. Ticking boxes in class, i.e. achieved/not achieved. I tried to argue in a former school that this can only prove I've taught it, not that they've learnt it, seeing as the following week they've probably forgotten it! They didn't understand. :)
    Posted
    • I hate guided reading in Y1. I'd rather hear them read individually.
    • I hate marking. Most of my kids can't read what I've spent ages writing and I prefer verbal feedback.
    • When my kids are tired or just 'don't get' something I ditch it and run around outside with them for 5 mins to take a break.
    • I like baking unhealthy things with them.
    • Every crappy 'jump through hoop' piece of paper just takes my time and concentration away from my class and only benefits heads and OfSTED.
    • I HATE HATE HATE that we get criticised for using the lights. WE CAN'T SEE!! THEY'RE THERE FOR A REASON!!!
    • I hate staff meetings that are ALWAYS just about KS2 and resent wasting my time at them.
    Posted

I hate:

teachers who have taught for years and just wont even attempt to try something a little bit different

staff who wont put things back after using them so no one else can ever find them when they are needed for a lesson

headteachers who dont teach and think they know everything but havent been in a classroom for years

parents who tell me their child needs to be moved up a reading level or into the higher group-or why havent they ever been star of the week and it should be their turn!

hate staff meetings where we talk for hours and nothing ever gets done

the fact i get home and am too tired to have a life as have used all my eneergy on my kids in class!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-roll on half term(thats one part i do like!!!)

Posted

I don't agree with inclusion. They should re-open all the Special schools and more and allow children to be taught in schools and groups according to their needs.

Posted

ooh what a lovely thread!

we all agree on so much.

• re inclusion: yep, more special schools. having taught an autistic child most years since qualifying and watching how they struggle in mainstream.
    • targets?  5 year olds? PUH-LEASE!!!
    • competitive colleagues. let's go on a learning walk and slag off eachother's classrooms.
    • some children you just can't like, no matter how hard you try.
    • lazy, lazy colleagues. feel like you're doing all the work? that's because you probably are.
    • someone else said it, but pseudo-management speak. cringe-worthy.
    • flipping acronyms. it's like a whole other langauge...APP, SLT, SEN, QFT, AFL, CI blah blah blah...
    • no one in early years really knows what to do - just look at the EY forum for proof. that includes advisors/consultants/LEAs/me.

gosh, that was cathartic! 

Posted

* I hate printed annotated plans, I think they look messy.

*  I adjust my plans as I go along on the computer, saving over the original each time.

*  I dislike doing proformas for TAs as I think a chat before and after the lesson is much better.

*  I HATE HATE HATE marking Literacy!

*  I get the children to mark as much work themselves as they possibly can - partly because that means I don't have to.

*  I don't think 2hours a week PPA is even close to long enough.

*  I refuse to work at home on weeknights.

*  I would love to see people in the authorities try to teach a lesson, never mind a day, so they can see what we are really up against!

*  I can't stand those parents who ask pointless questions at the door, e.g. "Is it so and so club tonight?" I normally answer with "Is it Friday? Then yes."

*  I wish some staff would actually use their common sense and realise that, just because I'm the ICT co-ordinator, I CAN'T FIX THE PRINTER/PHOTOCOPIER/NETWORK/COMPUTER/LAPTOP!!!

*  I don't like the parents who, after weeks, months and some times years of me pulling my hair out, they FINALLY (in Y6) say "I'm worried about x's writing/reading/maths, why is it so bad?"

*  I hate the fact that I get to work at 7:15am and leave at 5pm and STILL haven't finished all my jobs.

* I wish that I could actually arrive at 8:30, leave at 4:30 and that be the end of my working day, without feeling guilty for refusing to work weeknights.

Thanks, I needed that!

Posted

Some children I'd happily take home and others I'd happily thump

I think Phonics is robbing children of an enriching and useful English education.

I sometimes 'accidentally' overrun stuff to shave a bit of time off boring lessons

I once waited until a TA had gone home, took down a notice she'd made ("Rule's For Our Computer Area"), re-did it without the preposterous apostrophe and prayed she never noticed

Posted

lily_leopardprint
    Some children I'd happily take home and others I'd happily thump

I think that sums up the job quite nicely.

Posted

- I love laminating, it is a passion of mine and often take home laminating pouches from school to laminate stuff at home

-I hate painting and have avoided using paint (except the mini water colour tins) for the past 6 years

-I love going on course for one reason and one reason only - biscuits and a free lunch. This often determines which courses I go on as I pick my venue carefully.

- I'm the one that used all the colour printer ink

Posted

miss_informed
    one reason and one reason only - biscuits and a free lunch.

Isn't that two reasons? Wink

I've thought of a new one:

•  I know several other departments' photocopies codes... and occasionally use them!
    Posted

When teaching Y6, forgot to send on the childrens assessments and results etc to the secondary school with all the childrens reports and files. Did they ever contact us?? No course they didnt... shows how much they look at our results.

Love teaching painting but only from the little water colour boxes as hardly any washing up.

Kept a child back after school to look for his missing PE shoes as then his dad would come looking for him. The dad was drop dead gorgeous.

Targets are a waste of time.

Inspectors only critisize as they are afraid that Ofsted will and then they can say I told you so. But if Ofsted praise the school then the inspectors will say that the school has taken their advice.

Teaching goes in circles- APP is just a rehash of assessment from 16 years ago and will be gone in 2 years.

Children dont care about targets to move them on - only if they have a house point, star, smiley face etc.

Posted

lily_leopardprint

I once waited until a TA had gone home, took down a notice she'd made ("Rule's For Our Computer Area"), re-did it without the preposterous apostrophe and prayed she never noticed

I'm the same! She'd done a lovely job, but I couldn't have that apostrophe there all term. She hasn't said anything yet...

* I print most of my things off in the computer suite and not in my classroom, to save my own ink.

* I don't look at many of the answers in a long page of Maths problems, I just put a big tick at the bottom.

* I get scared whenever a parent says "Can I make an appointment to see you?".

* There are certain members of staff that I don't have much respect for, as teachers.

* I don't like spending time after school planning, just because the other person is too slow to get it all done in PPA time.

* I want to be able to teach the units I want, in the order I want, if I have to teach from units at all!

* I got a really excited feeling inside the other day when one of my difficult pupils said they might be leaving.

Ooh, this thread is bringing it all out.

Posted

I hate piles of paper and often just put stuff in the bin, then pretend I was never given it

I often wish children would come to school without the parents getting involved, would be much easier.

More often than not, I day dream during staff meetings and when asked a question, I have no idea what it is but make it up.

Posted

Id take my box of marking home with me - but leave it in the boot of the car- just so I look like Im going to do something.

We ran round the school turning the lights off when school was shut due to no electricity but it came on at 9.30 

another school I worked in we shut for 3 days as no heating - but we did have it in Y5/6 where I was.

Posted

This thread made me laugh A LOT!

*I occasionally hide paperwork or really dull pieces of homework for a couple of months before filing them at the bottom of the recycling bin.

*When parents are moaning utter nonsense to me I use the tried and tested 'smile and nod' technique to pretend that I care.

*I make up most of the ticks on my assessment sheets because the children who don't understand make that perfectly clear in the lesson when they stare at me gormlessly/throw rubbers at each other.

Posted

forgot to say;

I don't like doing  IEPs as no one ever seems bothered about what is on them!

I find it annoying that SMT turn up late to observations and miss a chunk of the actual teaching bit.

That ofsted inspectors can hardly be bothered to give a clear grade or feedback after a lesson.

Kids with slack bladders and or who cry a lot.

Posted

That's hysterical

Posted