What is a noun phrase?

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25156 Total Posts 187436

What is a noun phrase?

Hi

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} .AF1 in Writing Level 4 APP says 'eg. description elaborated by using adverbial and expanded noun phrases' I've got my head round explaining an adverbial phrase to my year 6s (it's just descibing how something is done eg she looked at me strangely) but am struggling a bit with an 'expanded noun phrase.' Does it just basically mean adding adjectives to describe the noun so instead of 'the chair' say 'the green chair' ? Want to get it right as being observed tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Sorry really don't know what happened there! Was it because I cut and pasted from APP and it didn't like the font? I'll just type it again! Does an expanded noun phrase as in AF1 Level 4 writing mean just adding adjectives to describe the noun eg instead of 'the chair' say 'the green chair' or is there more to it? Want to get it right as being observed tomorrow. Thanksin advance for any help.

Posted

I think you're a bit confused about adverbial phrases, first of all.

An adverbial phrase is a phrase -a few words - which act as an adverb. So it's more than one word which describes the way in which an action is done.

For example:

I walked quickly

has the form: subject-verb-adverb

The same sentence can be expanded with an adverbial phrase:

I walked with a skip in my step

The whole phrase explains how I walked.

In the same way, an expanded noun phrase adds detail which means that a phrase acts like a noun. Arguably this can just be a few adjectives:

I saw the big black cat

But usually we would use it to refer to a phrase which expands the noun with a more interesting phrase, such as:

I saw my neighbour's big black cat

Posted

Thanks that makes it much clearer xxx

Posted

Sorry tafkam another question. So are you saying that for example that 'I walked cautiously' isn't and adverbial phrase but 'I walked cautiously forward' is? As it contains more than one word about how something is done

Posted

Neither of those are adverbial phrases.

The 'I walked' part isn't adverbial at all, because it doesn't describe the verb - it is the verb (plus is its subject)

In some sense, I suppose, 'cautiously forward' is an adverbial phrase, although this is really just two adverbs. I'd go for something which contains some non-adverbs. So, for example:

I walked cautiously towards the chasm

where the final four words all work together to describe how the person walked; or

I walked with great caution

Here, none of the words individually are adverbs, but they work together as a phrase to act like one.

Does that make sense?

Posted

Just read your 'more confessions' thread you started which made me laugh a lot! Especially where you said 'I think lots of primary school teachers don't understand some of the grammar they are attempting to teach'. I am the case in point! I'm still confused and have poured a glass of red wine and am going for a bath! Ddecide if I don't understand | haven't a hope in hell of teaching the kids so I'm just sticking to trying to get them to add adjectives and adverbs to their writing. I'm sure the noun phrases and adverbial phrases will just happen naturally for those who are able and lets face it adding adjectives and adverbs is a bonus for some of them!Why over complicate it?

Posted

I am struggling with adverbial and noun phrases. My kids have huge EAL issues so don't know phrases like 'wtih a spring in their step'. How can I teach them what an adverbial phrases is?

And what is it called when they say 'Walking down the road, I saw a giant bear coming towards me.'?

And... where do embedded clauses fit in to APP?

Posted

Ref: Noun and adverbial phrases

We use to teach it this way:-

Noun phrases - Who? What? Which?

Adverbial phrase - When? Where? Why? How?

This was printed out and stuck on every single piece of writing the children did (alongside their LO and SC) and was referred to in  - ie have you written a noun/adverbial phrase?   It was also referred to in guided reading.   

Posted

If teaching EAL children, I'd avoid idiomatic phrases like 'with a spring in my step'!... Along with 'raining cats and dogs'...

Embedded clauses probably link to WAF5 at Level 5 - 'some features of sentence structure used to build up detail'

Posted

Avoid idiomatic phrases (such as 'with a spring in my step') with EAL children.  'Raining cats and dogs' would probably cause much confusion!

Walking down the road, I saw a giant bear... --> Subordinate (non-finite) clause, main clause...

With respect to APP question: embedded clauses - WAF5 at L5 'some features of sentence structure used to build up detail'.

I think...

Posted

Just want to make sure I understand adverbial phrases! Are these right?

I put my coat on as quickly as I could

The cat ate its fish with great enthusiam

The exhausted teacher fell fast asleep in her chair. (not sure about that one).

Thanks to anyone who checks (hint hint Tafkam).

Posted

Sarbon,

I'd say that your second and third examples do contain adverbial phrases.  Your first example, if I'm not mistaken, has a comparative clause.

M

Posted
    Thanks for 'marking' my work, lol!  Need more practice methinks.
    Posted