World Book Day Costume - Help!

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25625 Total Posts 190466
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

World Book Day Costume - Help!

I need to sort out a costume today for World Book Day and I am completely stuck for ideas!  I'm female and teach Year 5 so I want something my kids are going to like.  Any help extremely gratefully recieved.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Can I copy/steal whatever ideas you get please?

I am at a total loss for something very simple and straightforward, ideally made from boring teacher outfits that I already own.

Late 30s is not a good time to even contemplate dressing as Tracy Beaker or Hermione! Just look like a tart!

Posted

Spider from Charlotte's web (or Anasi or other books with spiders in). wear all black including a thick black belt. Then stuff two pairs of thick black tights with balls of newspaper and thread them through the back of the belt (making 8 legs including your arms and legs). Then using black wool or thick cotton  join your arm to a tight leg to another tight leg so when you lift your arm the legs move up too, repeat on the other side. This was a real big hit for my world book day last year.

Posted

Hi there

I did cat in the hat which was easy to do but looked great and kids loved it. 

I just wore a block polo neck and black trousers, cut a white piece of felt for the belly and stcitched it on. made a red bow tie from crepe paper and a tail from tights and newspaper. The hat i made from a st patricks day hat and covered in red and white tissue paper. If you dont have a big hat you could make a top hat shape from stiff card. Then paint your face white and your good to go!

Ive also done Burglar Bill and just wore a black and white stripey top (loads of them cheap in primark at mo) and black pants and made a mask for my face from card and wore a black hat. We read the story in the week and were saying 'I'll have that' about different things and then on the day burglar bill visited our class while the childrne were working (i disappeared for while) and stole some things and put them in his sack and ran out. 

We then did wanted posters and the children started making traps to catch him and interviewing people. He was even spotted at play time. I did this for ofsted and was brill. 

hope that helps

our school are doing bedtime stories and we are wearing PJ's

Posted

Think yourselves lucky. I've got to dress up twice this week - once in a welsh lady costume and the other time as some book character.  Geez.  This job takes the mickey..... No, I'm not that bothered really - mainly because thankfully a friend of mine lent me the costume for World Book Day and I wear lots of long black skirts anyway (for Welsh day), so all I need is a white blouse and a shawl (sod the hat)...

Posted

great ideas! In past have done eeyore and piglet, using alice band with ears and suitable pretend tail...witch harry potter style teacher...this year it is same day as our class assembly for parents which has china theme so wearing chinese dress, and then later will say I'm lila from firework makers daughter...Y5 also!

Posted

I'm going as a pirate, just got to decide what character I'm meant to be! Not Captain Hook as it's more pirates of the caribbean, but need to find other books that include pirates!

You could do Aliens love Underpants. Wear green and wear a pair of pants on top of your clothes.

Posted

Goodness you people are so much more creative than me!

The spider idea sounds possible, as does the cat in the hat. If I can persuade OH's mother to make me a hat and sew some white onto a black jumer for me I reckon the cat in the hat will do nicely. If I can't persuade her then a spider it will be.

Like the idea of Aliens love underpants, but am not at all sure wearing my knickers over my clothes would go down to well with HT!!! Or maybe it would? Wink

Posted

'How to train your dragon' by Cressida Cowell is coming out in 3D at the cinema next month.  It's about vikings, so that would be topical.  Film Education have just brought out a free educational CD rom which could be used on the day - it's really good.

Posted
    I found this thread and unearthed it as I'm busy thinking what to dress as next week. I'm just back from the Viking Festival in York so was thinking of being a female Viking but need a book to be out of -might go with a Norse Myths and Legends one my husband has. I'm teaching the older children that day so think it might engage them if I tell blood-thirsty tales (and perhaps a bit of history). Just can't think what to wear though!
    Posted

I'm thinking of refusing this year.

Posted

I've also been trying to think of a good book with vikings so I can just wear my reenactment kit.  Going for one of the myths is a good idea though. Maybe I'll say I am Saga, goddess of story telling. Seems quite suitable.

Posted
    Burglar Bill jeans and boots black and white t shirt mask and a cap and bag with swag written on it! Dead easy and t shirt is still in my cupboard in case we dress up again!
    Posted

Going to recycle my idea from last year and go as Where's Wally unless I can think of anthing different - worked in a primary school last year so more of the kids got it. Now work in an infants in EYFS so any EYFS friendly ideas would be appreciated! 

Posted

We've just read The Lady Of Shallott so I'm going as a medieval lady and we are going to spend the day learning all about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Great FunBig Smile

Posted

Winnie the witch, or Worst Witch for me!

Posted
    crazycatlady101

Winnie the witch, or Worst Witch for me!

My year 2 class's favourite characters, but not sure how to do it myself?

Just black top and skirt with crooked witch hat and then stripy or grey tights?

Posted
    Once went as the Wardrobe, - easy costume, just a sandwichboard, made with painted card on straps.
    Posted
    Am going for the Queen Of Hearts. Will wear black and red, will make a crown out of cardboard and add red hearts
    Posted

try this link     www.capes4fun.co.uk  handmade capes 

Posted