Capital letters and full stops!!!

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25425 Total Posts 189380

Capital letters and full stops!!!

Does anybody have any suggestions/tips/resources on how you get your children to remember capital letters and full stops in their writing!? Other than putting it in their targets/success criteria etc do you have any other little strategies that you have used in your class?

Many thanks!!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    I share your frustration. Despite putting it on the board or working wall as 'Success Criteria' they still don't do it! Lots of practice in writing whole sentences may help - the theory being that the more they do it the more they will use it without thinking. We can but hope.
    Posted

I've had an issue with punctuation pyramids which put the full stop as the easiest punctuation mark- I find mid KS2 do frequently struggle with the concept of a sentence, and thus full stops. They also struggle with using capital letters for proper nouns, but I think that is because of it being downgraded in priority of teaching.

I think Alan Peat  www.alanpeat.com has  a useful publication on punctuation, devoting several pages and teaching strategies to constructing simple sentences. Basically creating grids with the content of the sentence being derived from the answers to questions placed as column headers such as Who? When ? Where? What? - the final column being the full stop.

In KS2, I think LA pupils can get thrown by the variety of more complex sentence types they now encounter, and punctuation becomes a sign of this.

Posted
    I put a pot of counters/tiddlywinks in the centre of the table and every time they use a full stop they get to take one. Then at the end of the lesson they look at each other's work and if they spot a capital letter being misused/not used they get to take a counter off the person who made the mistake. At the very end I draw targets on their desks with my whiteboard pen and they get to 'play tiddlywinks' with their counters and the one who gets the highest score overall gets a merit. They love it. I also wander round sometimes and take tiddlywinks off children so I get to play too - when they see me coming they frantically check their work which has to be a good habit to get into :-)
    Posted

Beestoni
    I put a pot of counters/tiddlywinks in the centre of the table and every time they use a full stop they get to take one. Then at the end of the lesson they look at each other's work and if they spot a capital letter being misused/not used they get to take a counter off the person who made the mistake. At the very end I draw targets on their desks with my whiteboard pen and they get to 'play tiddlywinks' with their counters and the one who gets the highest score overall gets a merit. They love it. I also wander round sometimes and take tiddlywinks off children so I get to play too - when they see me coming they frantically check their work which has to be a good habit to get into :-)

Never heard of this one. Did you invent it? I like it, but I think it helps children who understand sentences but are lazy about punctuating, not so sure how it would work with older pupils struggling with composing good sentences, which might be varied too. I still think understanding when a sentence begins and ends, can be the problem with LA KS2.
    Posted
    I invented it. And you're quite right - it doesn't teach children how to use full stops / capital letters. I teach year 6 and most know, but don't bother / forget. For those who don't know I do one to one teaching/support a few times and the fact that everyone is getting involved with the tiddlywinks motivates them to be able to join in. I don't let the other children spot their mistakes, I do it myself until I feel they understand enough to do peer checking.
    Posted

Hey I love this idea!

Great!  Big Smile

Posted

I posted the same a couple of weeks ago at:

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/395573.aspx?PageIndex=2#5469122

Posted

Sometimes I think we all worry too much, some of my SEN kids (primary)  who I worried about constantly, are now fully fledged teenagers and when I accidently fall across their FB comments, they use capitals and full stops beautifully....it really surprised me..

Posted

Have you seen Kung Fu punctuation?  If you search for it on Teachers TV there's a video about it.  I have used it and the children love it!

Suzi xx

Posted

Sometimes getting them to take a different coloured pencil and "play the teacher" with their own work gets them to spot a lot of stuff they've missed out - no idea why it works but it does! (Interestingly - they correct their own work in all those "damaging to self-esteem" ways that we're told we can't do - great big crosses, alterations, going straight for the red pencil).

Have seen a variation on the tiddlywinks system working very well much further down the school as well (used play money and team totals) - liked it then and was going to suggest something similar on here but you got there first!

Posted

An old thread, but some useful ideas..

Posted