HELP! University Interview, BA Primary Education

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25323 Total Posts 188780

HELP! University Interview, BA Primary Education

I'm currently an A Level student and I have a university interview for Primary Education in 2 weeks. The university have sent me a list of work I need to prepare beforehand. One of the tasks is to write an essay on what roles and responsibilities a primary school teacher has, I have more or less covered the basics. e.g. assessing and recording progress, the welfare of the children, planning lessons etc. However, if any of you have any suggestions of other things I could mention it would be very much appreciated. I also have to prepare a 2 minute talk on a chosen topic, I have chosen to discuss why I think adding modern foreign languages to the primary curriculum is a good idea. I have some ideas, but again if you have any ideas it would help me enormously. Also, I would appreciate any tips on the interview process and reading about your own experiences of the interview process would help me greatly. Many thanks, Sabrina.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    lucky u myns in 2 days at universty of cumbria =P where did u apply 4? haha this is my first ever post online thats not FB im quite excited =P I did roles of the teacher in my health and social corse so i copied n pasted wha i wrote here hope it helps u hun: Teacher’s job role All early years workers need specific skills and qualities in order to perform their job roles successfully. These qualities and skills is what helps the children develop beneficently and positively reinforce the children to meet their aims and individual needs. Teachers will need to develop a close relationship with the children to enable encouragement, Learning and responsibilities of every child. Knowing the teacher is helping the children achieve will influence the children positively. This is because the children will feel relaxed, therefore will increase their confidence and increase the chance of better progress in development. Qualities are based on the person’s personality. Teachers always have a positive personality because of these parents and careers can feel relaxed and happy that the children will be treated well. Here is a list to show the qualities of an early year worker, which teachers also account for: 1. Approachable 2. Enthusiastic 3. Patient 4. Reassuring 5. Understanding 6. Physically and emotionally fit 7. Self aware 8. Flexible 9. Caring and understanding 10. Trustworthy 11. Respectful 12. Sense of humour Skills are what teachers use to enable them to plan, prepare and carry out activities with children to help them learn to develop. Teachers need a wide range of skills this is because the teacher has various roles to help the children’s develop. Teachers have a lot of responsibilities. The teacher focuses on the development of the children’s social, communication and numeric skills through a variety of play and creative activities. Teachers have to be fully dedicated to their jobs they should have lively personalities and their classrooms should make the children feel respected and motivated. The teachers have to follow the national curriculum and must meet the foundation stage and enable the children to achieve their full potential. They have to attend school meetings. They also teach the children discipline and what acceptable behaviour is. A teacher must be qualified with GCSE and degree courses. Three main features of a pre school class teacher: Planning lessons Teachers have to plan lessons. Lesson planning is a special skill. Planning lessons can avoid frustrations and unpleasant surprises it also helps the children meet their aims. Because the teacher has planned the lesson in advance she would have visualised how the lesson will take place and therefore can help the children met their aims and individual needs. Lesson plans is a chance for improvement for the teacher. The teacher can find what she needs to do to improve her lessons in order to help the children. Lesson planning does take a lot of time and thinking. The lesson plans also helps the children keep on task and everything is time planned so the teacher always knows how long each task will take. This way the children will have been taught a decent amount and teacher will have time to see the children who are struggling and those whom are doing well. Writing Reports Reports show the children’s achievement and what they need to improve. It both positively and negatively reinforces the children. It allows the teacher to understand what the children need help on so she can focus on that part Monitor progress of the children By monitoring the children’s progress will help the teacher see how well they are coping or not coping. The child’s parents can also see how their child is improving and by how much. If the child’s progress is low then the child’s parents and teachers will need to come up with another alternative to improve the child’s development. The main reason to monitor the child’s progress is for comparison.
    Posted

Please tell me that wasn't copied and pasted directly from something you submitted on your course.

Posted
    Good luck Sabrina, and well done for plucking up the courage to post on the Primary forum!

As to roles, think nurse, social worker, optician, police officer, psychologist, parent, educator (nearly forgot that one), listener, eye-opener, and you won't be too far wrong.

Another tip - you MUST get into as many schools as possible to observe between now and then. Primary Education is vastly over-subscriber at the moment, and this is always the way during recessions. What will give you the edge is having more to say when asked why you want to teach than the terrible "I love working with children."

Because, trust me, some days you won't.

As to your 2 minutes on MFL, it might be interesting to find out how many languages are now spoken in the schools in your local area, even by 'British' passport holders - the fact that you had done this research will help you to stand out. (As, incidentally, will the fact that you asked a question on the TES primary forum - be sure to slip that into the interview somewhere!)

Posted

pinkflipflop

Please tell me that wasn't copied and pasted directly from something you submitted on your course.

I am 100% agreed with you here... jesus  christ who would think that is acceptable?

Posted

Not so much that but if one of her markers sees that online and can't verify it's her, she could be accidently done for plagiarism or someone else could copy it. 

Posted

Welcome to the forum.

I will try and remain positive and suggest that you have two days to rewrite this, I would suggest you actually talk to a teacher about it and ask for some advice.

It seems that you may have just made up what you think teachers do and what teachers are like.

Posted

You could mention the need to have good communication with parents and carers, governors and the wider community.

Posted
    haha lool yess y
    Posted
    not really a big deal..it was a rough copy werent wha i actualy submitted
    Posted

Hahaha.. troll in the dungeon. I ALMOST fell for it. No-one is this dumb.

Posted

Rathen
    No-one is this dumb.

Sadly they are!

Posted