KS2 - Art activities for water topic

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25428 Total Posts 189400

KS2 - Art activities for water topic

I teach a year 5 class and our topic this term is water (coasts and rivers). Any good art ideas please?

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Did water topic with my Year 5 last term - some of the art activities we did included coastal collages, constructing our own Thames barriers (more D&T I know), pictures of famous buildings, examples of architecture near rivers, oceans etc (we did this using chalks, buildings such as Forth Rail Bridge, Golden Gate bridge, London Eye, Houses of Parliament etc).

Good resources to have include lots of tissue paper, based on my own experience!

Posted
    I did water a while ago with Y3/4 children. One thing they loved doing was learning how to use watercolour paints as most had only experienced poster paints before. Linked in with Quentin Blakes illustrations and some of his water linked stories. There is a lovely video clip on his website where he himself shows how he designs and paints his character.
    Posted

For art linked to water last year I looked at impressionism, particularly the work of Monet.  The art objectives were to use impressionist techniques and perspective.  I printed off photographs of a variety of river landscapes which children then recreated in an impressionist style, having first experimented with the style on a smaller scale.  We watched this tutorial to help with perspective too:

http://www.drawingnow.com/videos/id_764-how-to-paint-a-river.html

The results were really good and I'll be trying it again this year for our school art exhibition :0)

Posted

The Finding Nemo DVD has a great real life coral reef bit on the extra features which Dorrie narrates- we looked at how it teemed with life/colours/texures etc We used pastels an brusho, then added textures, to create a fantastic wall display.

Posted