Peace at Last

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25142 Total Posts 187300

Peace at Last

I'm planning to do the Peace at Last story with my Reception class in the next few weeks to link in with our Bears topic, and wondered if anyone had any pictures that we could use for sequencing? Obviously I can't photocopy the ones from the book due to copyright (this actually came up in a staff meeting last week, quite randomly!), but I would really like full pictures rather than the very simple ones on sites such as Twinkl or the old Sparklebox ones that I used to have a couple of years ago. They don't have to be the exact ones from the book, anything similar would be fine.

Also, I have my guided work sorted, but any ideas for independent and child-initiated activities would be fab also!

Thank you in anticipation!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    bump!
    Posted

Could you have some simple pictures of rooms /things which make the noises and then ask them to put them in the order Father Bear goes to them / hears the noises?

Also do you have a visualiser? In which case you could show pages and then elicit where in the story that picture fits.

Individual activities- matching up sounds to the 'noise' words/ music making activities to produce 'animal' sounds / sorting onomatopaeic words / drawing Father Bear's joureney around the house and garden.

Posted

Has the world gone daft?? So we aren't allowed to photocopy illustrations to enable children to immerse themselves in a book they enjoy? Surely that's the whole point of children's literature? I looked up copyright law and found this

Acts that are allowed

Fair dealing is a term used to describe acts which are permitted to a certain degree without infringing the work, these acts are:

• Private and research study purposes.
    • Performance, copies or lending for educational purposes.
    • Criticism and news reporting.
    • Incidental inclusion.
    • Copies and lending by librarians.
    • Acts for the purposes of royal commissions, statutory enquiries, judicial proceedings and parliamentary purposes.
    • Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of listening to or viewing at a more convenient time, this is known as time shifting.
    • Producing a back up copy for personal use of a computer program.
    • Playing sound recording for a non profit making organisation, club or society.

(Profit making organisations and individuals should obtain a license from PRS for Music.)

I am taking this to mean I can use copies in the classroom, and if the old bill come sniffing round I will hide in a cupboard.

Posted

dagnabit
    Has the world gone daft?? So we aren't allowed to photocopy illustrations to enable children to immerse themselves in a book they enjoy?

Actually we've had this conversation as linguists and my understanding is that; provided you own a copy of the 'said book' you  the pictures into a powerpoint for exclusive use with your own classes ie if it's a department you need a copy of the book for each member of staf,f if you share the resources within the department.

Posted

Thank you so much for the suggestions, they sound great, and I really like the idea of drawing Mr Bear's route.

Dagnabit, thank you for the copyright info, thats really useful to know too!

Posted