Reading APP?

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25423 Total Posts 189376

Reading APP?

Hi, Can anyone offer some advice for a NQT re. the Reading APPs? (I will ask my Mentor, but am aware of how busy they are at the moment)! I am in a mixed Year 1 and 2 class and we do Read, Write, Inc for Literacy. What is the best way for me to assess the Reading using APPs? Should I spend time listening to each child read, asking the relevant questions etc and highlighting, if so, how long roughly does this take for each child? If not, is there a better, easier, quicker way of filling out the APP sheets? Also, how often would you recommend that I update them - is it a once a term thing or more often? Thanks for any guidance you can give.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

We have just started APP'ing our children in reading.  We let them choose a fiction, non-fiction and a play.  Then got them to read a few pages of each.  Asked them why they chose that particular book, what type of books they like and why.  Then some basic comprehension questions to check understanding.  It took about half an hour for each child (year 5)  Our year co-ordiantor had simplified the AFs into simple statements for a checklist which we then used to highlight the sheet. 

Hope that makes sense!  It's all very new to me ;0)

Posted

If you are looking for something that is quite practical to use, have a look at these bookmark. Link is here... http://primarytools.co.uk/pages/appsupport.html

I know there is a cost, but it is really cheap compared to a lot of fancier stuff around that end up being just as complex as the original app grids. 

Posted