Level 6 Reading SATs

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25237 Total Posts 188183

Level 6 Reading SATs

Hello all and Happy Christmas! I'm a secondary school English teacher and have been asked to do some work with a group of G&T Year 5 and 6 students to prepare them for the Level 6 SATs papers. As I usually just do secondary, I have a few questions... * Where can I find examples of the level 6 reading papers, mark schemes and resources? * When do the SATs take place and are they externally marked? * Does anyone have any tips regarding teaching at this level? Any ideas and tips to get me started would be fab!
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

We've only had the one level 6 paper recently (ie last year) and the papers were downloadable-but obviously the link is now impossible to find! if you PM me, I can e-mail them to  you.Otherwise you need to look at the level 4-6 KS3 papers ( but not the Shakespeare!) which will give you some ideas of the levelof questionning at level 6. This years papers should have been ordered by the school-so will not be available to download. The Level 6 tests are being externally marked this year and will be sat the week after "normal" testing is over so 21 and 22 May ( but not sure when the english will be)

As the level 6 tests are relatively new, there are few, if any, resources aimed at KS2, you need to look at KS3 material for any help. Have a look at the APP targets for level 6 reading to give you some idea but at thislevel it is almost exclusively inference and deduction and very precise use of vocabulary to express meaning!

Posted

When SATs 1st came out in the late 1990s there were level 6 papers for about 3 years and I'm trying to track these down. I think they are still available on older versions of Testbase. You can actually learn quite a lot by studying the marking scheme for the Level 6 paper which has been published in 2011 and is available on line. I'm also going to give my Level 6 group a list of challenging but enjoyable books to read which we can then discuss together. I know probably  none of them will pass, but we can enjoy the lessons anyway!

Posted

CarrieV
    at thislevel it is almost exclusively inference and deduction and very precise use of vocabulary to express meaning!

I'd disagree.

The big difference between KS2 and KS3 assessments has always been the move away from a focus solely on inference & deduction (AF3) to a much greater emphasis on AF4-6, i.e. the elements of authorial craft. While inference & deduction will doubtless continue to be important, the ability to select evidence from a text (AF2) to support arguments about layout (AF4), language (AF5) and viewpoint (AF6) will be much more significant... if the Level 6 tests are really about level sixness!

Posted
    Thanks everyone, that's really helpful! I'll let you know how it works out when I start... :)
    Posted
    Here is a link for KS3, http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS3SAT.htm#English If you find any KS2, let me know. Thanks
    Posted

2011 KS2 Level 6 papers can be found here:

http://www.freepastpapers.co.uk/sats-key-stage-2.php#sats-key-stage-2-level-6-english-past-papers

This link is to the English papers, but if you scroll down the page you'l find the maths papers too.

Posted