year 3 instructions

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25597 Total Posts 190326

year 3 instructions

Anyone used the book 'Monsters an owners guide' for instructions unit in year 3? any good ideas for making this unit exciting?

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Hello. Not sure how helpful this will be but!

I taught Instructions on TP to Y5 and did it with my own class (Y3) just before Xmas.

On TP the class teacher wanted them to produce instructions for using this website. It was SO boring haha.

In my class, we made sandwiches for the Xmas party, so linked D&T and English for planning the sarnie and then writing some instructions for making it. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff, I know, but the food was a big motivator and it was easy to get them interested!

My favourite thing to do, which I set for hmwk for both the Y5 and Y3 classes, is to get them to write a recipe for Teacher Pie. Tell them it can be as gruesome or as gorgeous as they like. I nicked that off one of my mentors and it always gets brilliant responses :D

Posted
    Our year 1 class do making sandwiches in instructions. In year 2 we do 'instructions to make sure your teacher has a great day'. Not sure what year 3 do.

Like the Teacher Pie idea.

Posted

Thankyou. Making something to eat sounds like a good idea. Teacher Pie I'll definitely use!

Posted

It's brilliant, isn't it?! I wish I could say I'd thought of it!

Posted

recipes,games,mixed up/organise

I got them to play a game eg ludo and then to  makeinstructions on how to set up for ow ability..the highers i got them to imagine the rules had been lost and  to make them up.others then played the games.

simple recipies to order cut up and organised to give ideas

Posted

also some ideas here

http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/english/contents_writingnonfiction.htm

making smothies based upon georges marvellous medicine

or even instructions for a spell.conncoction for teacher

even the lesson plans for a weeks work lol/not mine i add!

pcp-lesson-plans.wikispaces.com/file/view/instructions+plan+-+lit.doc

you could search tes under 

'ideas for writing instructions for year 3'  .there are 708 possible ideas?

Posted
    After all the phase 1 investigating and identifying the features part. In phase 2 we did how to get ready for school and how to make a jam sandwich. Then in phase 3 for independent writing we did monster recipes and the children could add anything they like to the recipe, most chose cups of snot, spiders, broken bones ... The list goes on. I got some amazing results and it engaged some very difficult boys! Hope that helps :)
    Posted
    Whilst I'm not a huge fan of the HT lesson plans, I think that the Y3 instructions isn't that bad. The text that it recommends is good and lends itself to some really disgusting recipes, which the chn love creating! I also link it in with sandwich snacks and write instructions on how to make our sandwiches. The link is http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Yr-3-NF-Unit-2A-Instructions-Recipes-and-amp-Pet-Care-6054857/ As I said, I don't follow it to the letter, but I do use the recommended text (Beware of Boys) and it's very successful.
    Posted

i did something like that with georges marvellous medicine..only trouble is the head read some of the work and thought it disgusting and i was told not to teach such things!

not that im worried! lol  the kids loved doing it!

Posted