Read write inc comprehension plus-anyone use this?

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25416 Total Posts 189322

Read write inc comprehension plus-anyone use this?

Is it any good? I'm in year 5 and looking for some comprehension stuff. Do you need the cd rom or can you get by easy enough with the books? Our school has been using rwi in ks1 and fs for a year and had great results but a gap in phonic knowledge higher up the school. Not massive as generally reading is good but spelling is dire. Just wanted to try it in my class without massive investment. Apologises if that all sounds a bit garbled-been up all night with a teething baby and now need to do my planning :-(
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    We use the RWI comprehension plus materials for guided reading. By using the anthologies and pupil books we have been able to create teacher led group sessions as well as worthwhile activities for the children to work on independently on the days when they are on their own. The texts themself are challenging enough as well as introducing higher level vocabulary to the children. The books contain 6 units which we spread over 2 or 3 weeks for each ne. Therefore in a half term we do one unit from RWI as well as having enough time to read and discuss other materials. The comprehension plus does not teach spelling though, there is a separate RWI scheme for this - we also use this and have found it effective provided it is used regularly.there are 3 books for the children to work through, each with 12 units. Each unit contains 10 activities for the children to work through in pairs, they fit nicely into a fortnight. Hope that helps, if you want to know anymore just let me know.
    Posted
    Thanks for replying. Sounds just what I want. So you use the anthology and pupil book-do you use the handbook and cd rom? Also what is the spelling scheme called (there are so many RWI bits and pieces!) hated the sound of rwi but now I've seen it in action alongside the results I am a convert - plus our teachers are still really creative so it hasn't limited them at all.
    Posted
    We don't use the CDROM or the teachers book, but still it works well. I'm fairly sure the spelling scheme is just RWI spelling, there is a turquoise, purple and yellow book. It works through the sounds a red words they should already know and then teaches spelling rules.
    Posted
    Hi - I have just been looking up the comprehension materials. On amazon you can buy a teachers handbook, a pupil book and an anthology. Do you need to buy the module books aswell or can you get by on the comprehension alone? Thanks
    Posted

jenni10uk
    Hi - I have just been looking up the comprehension materials. On amazon you can buy a teachers handbook, a pupil book and an anthology. Do you need to buy the module books aswell or can you get by on the comprehension alone? Thanks

I've just bought the anthology and pupil book for year 5 to see how I go - thought I'd try some books on approval from OUP if we decide to go for it and the spelling properly rather than shell out myself without really knowing how it will work. I will claim for the other two from school though I think.  Not sure what you mean by the module books though - was that for comprehension plus or a different part of the RWI scheme (there are so many!!)

Posted
    Thanks for your reply - We have been doing the phonics scheme for the past 2 years and its worked really well. When we got our materials delivered, we were sent some module books for comprehension. They are like the fresh start books but blue. I'm not sure if these will be needed. I'd be really grateful if you could let me know how the books you have bought work when you have got them. :)
    Posted

We don't have the fresh start stuff - we have only been using RWI in FS and KS1 since last Christmas and didn't buy into anything for KS2 but we have to do something to work on some of the issues.

I will PM wmy email to you so we can stay in touch. Smile

Posted
    Posted

RWI sucks a big bag of bums.

Posted
    The way the scheme should work is that the children work through the RWI phonics scheme through ks1, thn n y3-4 the children do RWI comprehension. Y5&6 have the comprehension plus scheme which is what the OP was referring to. For comprehension plus we have adapted it fr guided reading so we only use the pupil books and anthologies. The children don't write in the books, instead they have an exercise book for the activities. This way the books last for years without having to be replaced. I think comprehension plus should replace the entire literacy session, however, we preferred to adapt it into 30 minute guided reading sessions split between teacher led and independent work. Hope that helps.
    Posted
    We have bought the pupil book, teachers book and anthology. I am struggling without the software though. Lots of resources are referred to throughout the teachers book. How do you get around this?
    Posted
    I just have the pupil book and the anthology and am just using the texts and appropriate questions from the pupil book for guided reading.
    Posted

We are using RWI fresh start at the moment. I am confused. Another school advised us to do a RWI fresh start week then a comprehension week  from the comprehension booklet. However I am working with y5 pupils and when I have read up on this , they should be doing RWI Comprehension plus. Also its seems silly to drop the fresh start at the end of the week then go to the comprehension the next week. Has anyone done the training that could enlighten me? Much appreciate it if you can!

Posted

Hi Hubcap. When we first took on RWI, the school school started with the basic phonics. Years 5/6 did Fresh Start to ensure they had the basic skills and knowledge. It's a fast track catch up programme. Only when they have secured the basics should they then move on to comprehension plus. Remember Fresh Start is the phonics programme and until they have a secure understanding of reading they cannot access comprehension plus. I adopted the comprehension after my year 6 had completed the fresh start programme. Hope that helps :)

Posted

Can I ask, the fresh start doesn't include spelling does it? I have the spelling stuff but didn't manage to get it going this year - for anyone who does it, is it fairly easy for the children to work through it with their partner or does it need a lot of adult support?

Posted