Diary examples KS1

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25597 Total Posts 190326

Diary examples KS1

Hi all,

Spent the last hour or so hunting the net for diary entries suitable for Year 2 children.  I can't find anything suitable. Does anybody have any diary examples they could share?

I want the children to have different examples to read so they can identify the features.

Many thanks!!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    In the past I've used picturebooks for this. Dougal's Deep-Sea Diary (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dougals-Deep-sea-Diary-Simon-Bartram/dp/1840115092) and Diary of a Wombat (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diary-Wombat-Jackie-French/dp/0007212070/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349294070&sr=1-1) are very popualr with KS1. There is also a book called At the Beach which is not diary entries but postcards - but essentially the writing has similar features and I've used it as an example of recounts that add interesting details - good for Year 2 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/At-Beach-Roland-Harvey/dp/1741147042/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349294091&sr=1-1).
    Posted
    Dear Diary, It's not fair! I wish I could go to the ball like my sisters - they have all of the fun! I would love to wear a beautiful ball gown, with frills and a big satin sash. Just imagine, all of the town swaying and dancing to the music . . . we might even meet Prince Charming! If only I didn't have a long list of awful chores, then maybe I could have gone too. It's so unfair. Cinders x x x
    Posted

Thank you for the quick response coffecakes.

Did you use them to pick out the features? I basically want the children to identify feelings, thoughts and the use of I.

Posted
    Thanks apostrophesnob!!
    Posted
    Dear Diary, GRRRRRRRR . . I'm SO hungry! I thought I was going to grab my favourite snack from the deep dark wood today, but then something really scary happened and I had to run away. I was so afraid that my terrible tusks were trembling and all of the purple prickles on my back stood on end. I had come face to face with the meanest creature in the wood . . . . the big bad mouse!! Even the cunning fox was scared of him! I think I was lucky to escape, and will hunt for snacks somewhere else tomorrow. GRUF x x
    Posted

apostrophesnob
    Dear Diary, GRRRRRRRR . . I'm SO hungry! I thought I was going to grab my favourite snack from the deep dark wood today, but then something really scary happened and I had to run away. I was so afraid that my terrible tusks were trembling and all of the purple prickles on my back stood on end. I had come face to face with the meanest creature in the wood . . . . the big bad mouse!! Even the cunning fox was scared of him! I think I was lucky to escape, and will hunt for snacks somewhere else tomorrow. GRUF x x

Love this!

Posted