KS2 literacy Wizard of Oz

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25160 Total Posts 187483

KS2 literacy Wizard of Oz

Hi

Has anyone done any Literacy work on fantasy/adventure stories using the Wizard of Oz?

We're going to see it at the theatre and I'm thinking about doing my Literacy around it. I'm thinking about getting the children to compare the theatre production with a book version, and then the film version. I'm also thinking about getting them to write their own story using the idea of a disaster taking you off to another world.

Has anyone used it as a basis for fantasy/adventure stories before? If so any suggestions/ideas you'd be willing to share?

Thought it might be a nice fantasy element for this time of year. My class are Year 3 by the way.

Thanks in advance Smile

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    OH, MAN! What an amazing idea! My toes curl at stuff like 'fantasy/adventure' - I loathe that kind of guff. EXCEPT THE WIZARD OF OZ! Oh wow, so excited! I've never taught the unit before, sorry. Am excited rather than helpful. Have you looked on saveyoursundays.com? Their planning is for Y3 and I use loads of it :) Wizard of Oz will be absolutely ace because there are soooo many abridged versions knocking around, it will be so easy to differentiate for the LA to access. And the HA can have the proper L Frank Baum. And we can all have a movie afternoon! Hooray x
    Posted

Yes I have to say the movie afternoon was one of my first thoughts! (in the interests of comparing different versions, of course...)

Found something good on the internet that I can adapt. One of my lessons will be observed by HT and Lit coor. so I wanted something I'll enjoy and the kids will be excited by, as we go to the theatre the day after the observation lesson!

Thanks for your reply x

Posted

I used this a while back when doing a 'Disasters' topic when we were looking at tornados/hurricanes.

You can do looking at the story from different perspectives/viewpoints. So retell the story from Toto's perspective. lots of opportunities to brainstorm adjectives describing feelings, could link to use of black & white then colour in original Judy Garland version. Brilliant for recounting a story-tell Scarecrow's story/ Tinman's etc. and then they could suggest another character for Dorothy to meet and they write their own version of the meeting/adventure.Could then make up  a class story with diffreent chaps. written by groups of children.

Posted

Great ideas, thank you Lara mfl 05!

Posted
    Hi , I have just been searching through the internet to get ideas for my planning . I am doing my Year 3 literacy based upon the Wizard of Oz , was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that might give me some inspiration ?
    Posted

We used The Wizard of Oz as a stimulus for Fantasy writing in the Autumn term. We focused on the different portals and the comparisins between the original settings and the fantasy lands. We also used Narnia, Mary Poppins (street painting scene) and entering Diagon Alley. We watched clips on youtube of the films and read extracts from the books, focusing on how the author described the character entering the fantasy land - using lots of 'in the distance she could see...' 'next to the mountain she noticed....' 'from the corner of her eye she caight a glimpse of...' etc. The kids magpied phrases from extracts we looked at, with least experienced children describing images and film clips to TA to scribe ideas. 

Next the kids designed their own fantasy settings on large paper using pastels, paint, glitter etc. The had some strange and interesting things in the foreground, something interesting in the distance that the character had to get to, and a path that took them there (we had lava rivers, golden sparkly stepping stones, ice bridges - the lot!). They also had to design a fantasy character they would meet. They kept all of their 'designs' at their tables as they wrote to help with their descriptions. 

The kids then wrote about their characters journey in the fantasy setting using the following plan - boring setting - find a portal - enter fantasy setting - decription of setting (main assessment focus was subordinate clauses and fronted adverbials)meet a characte - journey to something in distance - return to portal and go home. We kept the structure pretty rigid as we wanted the kids to concentrate on their descriptive language. We taught this to a year 4 class of varying abilities and the writing was fantastic. 

Posted

We used The Wizard of Oz as a stimulus for Fantasy writing in the Autumn term. We focused on the different portals and the comparisins between the original settings and the fantasy lands. We also used Narnia, Mary Poppins (street painting scene) and entering Diagon Alley. We watched clips on youtube of the films and read extracts from the books, focusing on how the author described the character entering the fantasy land - using lots of 'in the distance she could see...' 'next to the mountain she noticed....' 'from the corner of her eye she caight a glimpse of...' etc. The kids magpied phrases from extracts we looked at, with least experienced children describing images and film clips to TA to scribe ideas. 

Next the kids designed their own fantasy settings on large paper using pastels, paint, glitter etc. The had some strange and interesting things in the foreground, something interesting in the distance that the character had to get to, and a path that took them there (we had lava rivers, golden sparkly stepping stones, ice bridges - the lot!). They also had to design a fantasy character they would meet. They kept all of their 'designs' at their tables as they wrote to help with their descriptions. 

The kids then wrote about their characters journey in the fantasy setting using the following plan - boring setting - find a portal - enter fantasy setting - decription of setting (main assessment focus was subordinate clauses and fronted adverbials)meet a characte - journey to something in distance - return to portal and go home. We kept the structure pretty rigid as we wanted the kids to concentrate on their descriptive language. We taught this to a year 4 class of varying abilities and the writing was fantastic. 

Posted
    Thank you . That was really helpful!
    Posted