Phase 6 activities for TA to do

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25487 Total Posts 189773

Phase 6 activities for TA to do

As it says really - need to send out the TA with top group (Y2) while I teach phonics to phase 5 lot, so are there any simple games/activites she can be doing for 10 minutes or so? Have thought of hangman to reinforce previously taught suffixes/prefixes; compound word bingo but am a bit of a blank.Thanks

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Tbh, while they sound like lovely fun activities, you need to think carefully what you want the TA to teach. Quite a lot of phase 6 is teaching and making explicit the rules for spelling eg when you add 'ing' or 'ed'. I often get kids to read words and see if they can work out what the rules are for themselves. Or send them off to read a book and locate certain word types for themselves. Just playing games like hangman is fairly pointless unless there's some teaching first.

Activities I'd suggest are: looking through books for example words, looking at words with suffixes added and finding out what the rule is, sorting words, writing words and sentences froma root word.

Posted
    Thank you for those ideas - of course I would teach the suffix etc first, just have been told that for phonics I cannot have the whole class on the carpet and must use the ta to differentiate, so am trying to make sure that I am teaching both groups and not just leaving the bottom group to her. She is good at supporting the la with phonics but phase 6 is new to her.
    Posted