Level 3 writing- it's so different school to school

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25322 Total Posts 188790
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

Level 3 writing- it's so different school to school

I'm going to ask a dummy question. Does anyone have an example of moderated level 3 writing they could share with me? I went on key stage 1 SATs moderation recently, and am amazed at what was offered for level 3. I felt there was some very strong L3 writing, (not my own) that other moderators felt was only a 2A. Other pieces of writing, that were presented, only achieved a 3c, yet I felt they were higer than this.

I know that at KS1 we only report a L3, but would love any help, or examples of 3c writing to share!!

Thanks for your help!!!
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    I would love to see some examples too as I'm not sure what level 3 looks like. I've marked 1 child as working at level 3 and I'm just wondering what the moderator is going to say.
    Posted
    Well, at cluster moderation, one of my school's L3s was marked down. I was really disappointed, as the situation wasn't handled at all well, and the moderator was arguing that the SATs evidence wasn't a 3, when the child had a strong mark, and evidence to back it. We chose to send this work as school felt it was a strong l3, if not a 3b, and it was rejected.

All L3s are being called in for LEA moderation, and if that experience is a benchmark, then lord help me!

If that particular child was only a level 2A, then my year 1 level 2c's are W!!!!!! And I mark harshly!!!

ooh, I'm so anrgy at the situation.
    Posted
    up
    Posted
    You could always do what our Key Stage 1 staff do - confer, then thrust the suspected level 3's at the Key Stage 2 teachers to 'check' and 'affirm'.

I have to say, levelling those KS1 papers does seem like a stress-inducing task; particularly since those all important 'value-added' scores rest upon the decision.
    Posted
    I have a strong level 3 and a 3c which have just returned from moderation. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner at home but could scan them on Monday if that would be some help?

Leave your email and I'll send them sometime Monday.
    Posted
    Forgot to say, I think the key things for level 3 are:
    * Extended sentences
    * Range of punctuation
    * Flowing style which shows structure
    Posted
    I got a look at some writing from the yr 4 optionals this week and was horrfied at what they were marked up to.

Stuff given level 4 that I would have said was no more than a low 3.

But the teacher concerned said 'It hits all the boxes'!

She marked up for commas, but they were wrongly used: the clauses they joined were not related in any way and should have been separately demarcated sentences. In which case, the child had only written in simple sentences. She said the child had used commas to separate parts of a sentence.

What does anyone else think about that?
    Posted
    I agree that sounds dodgy! Sounds like that teacher maybe feeling the level pressure! Year 5/6 will not be happy about that! If that teacher was definite about the level, maybe you could have suggested showing it to year 5 just to be sure! I think this is where group levelling comes into its own. It can be a pain and time consuming but gets everyone on the same playing field.
    Posted
    It is all so subjective, we moderated with an LEA advisor this year and now all yes all my yr4 children have gone backwards at least 2 sub levels compared to last years work which was moderated by the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I have added no value at all this year :)
    Posted
    Next year we are planning to set aside regular staff meetings for this as its always going to be an issue isnt it.
    Maybe theres a way we could set up some sort of virtual staff room somewhere where people could scan in pieces of un named anonomous work for people to comment on. Also maybe with common list of what we are looking for to get specific sublevels. Could also add in moderated work from schools or LAs to look at with the agreement that offensive or derisive comments are just not necessary you dont have to agree on something but theres absolutely no need to be rude is there. Any thoughts as to whether this would be useful and if so what would be best way to set it up
    Posted
    Hmm, interesting to find others think the year 4's are slightly ... 'over interpreted'. I suspect my incoming cohort are going to slump half a level or more when they hit my marking. :/

Posted
    Actually, we've recently heard a rumour that optional SAT's can be sent away for external marking. Anybody here know any more about that?
    Posted
    yes you can send them to nfer to mark - it costs though :O)
    Posted
    We always have hassle with Y3 teachers about levelling L3 work and I do feel for them, but this year we all handed in samples of levelled work to someone who marks SATs. There were some very angry teachers after that, and they weren't Y2 teachers. I'd like to see other schools levelled work. I'd also like to see some L1 and 2C work done in beautiful joined handwriting with good spelling to compare with.
    Posted
    so how could we set this up instead of waiting for it to be done.
    Posted
    I think the whole level 3 issue is interesting. Doing PPA this year I have been involved in administering and marking both Y2 SATS and Y3 optional QCAs.

A piece of writing that is a level 3 in Y2 and fulfils all the criteia would not be anything like this in the Y3 marking grid. For example, children cannot get a level 3 in KS2 if they don't make attempts at using paragraphs (yet are not even taught this in Y2). Sentence structure is also incredibly different. I think this is why so many moderators at SATs err on the side of caution as marking things on the high side makes things even more difficult for lower KS2.

I would advise that you look at some writing that has been graded as a 3c and even a 2a in KS2 for comparison purposes...
    Posted
    And don't forget that Level 3 at key stage 1 is taken to mean a level 3B (not 3c) when looked at nationally.

This was the message our HT DHT and KS1 leader brought back from a conference earlier this year.
    Posted
    This one issue has been the biggest problem for me this year - I had children coming into my class (mixed 5/6) from a total of 5 different classes, and despite moderation, the levels just didn't feel consistent. (Although it's yr 5/6, we have about a third of our them still 2a/3c.) It is so difficult to find clear examples of levelled writing in different genres. The level descriptors are all very well, but they don't give an overall feel for levels. The problem I've found with moderation is that more experienced teachers seem to go on more of a gut feeling, which doesn't really help those of us still new to it - I've had some work moved up levels and some moved down. Why won't anyone admit that it isn't a science, it's an art, and for many pieces of writing they don't fall clearly into just one sub-level? The pressure of value added targets and performance management targets only further complicate something that was a pretty tangled web anyway. I think it's amazing there is so little levelled work available to look at on the internet.
    Posted
    Thank you Mrs Peel for that comment re the 3B. My head came back with the same message recently but no-one else seemed to have heard this. When I told the infant feeder school this they were shocked and hadn't been told this at all. They said they marked chn at level 3 if they were working at some of the objectives of level 3 and were a secure level 2a.

Posted