New Primary Curriculum 2014

TES Primary - Forum

Join hundreds of primary teachers in the TES Primary group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place for debate on the latest issues in primary teaching.

Members 25604 Total Posts 190345

New Primary Curriculum 2014

I'm trying to understand the timescale for implementing the new curriculum- do we need to begin the implementation in school before 2014 so that it is up and running in time for then? 

Am I correct to think that teachers will continue to work from long, medium term and short- term plans? If so, does anyone know when medium and long term plans, or a framework/ strategy of any kind, will be available online?

Thanks, bobbycat

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

The final consultation on the new curriculum closes on the 8th August and the changes will be put to parliament Spt 1st. Most of the current curriculum has been disapplied from Sept so schools can choose to teach the new curriculum if they wish

"This will mean that while maintained schools will still be required to teach national curriculum subjects, they will not be required to teach the centrally prescribed programmes of study (or use attainment targets as part of statutory assessment arrangements) from September 2013 for the following subjects:

English, mathematics and science for pupils in year 3 and year 4

all foundation subjects for pupils at key stages 1 and 2

all subjects for pupils at key stage 3 and key stage 4.

Schools can choose to continue to teach the current programmes of study or they may use the flexibility that disapplication provides to adapt their curricula to ensure that pupils are well-prepared to start learning the new programmes of study which will be introduced from September 2014"

I don't think there are any plans to provide a framework/strategy of any kind - basically up to schools to devise their own.

Posted

I have been working on a framework and happy to share examples if anyone wants to PM with an email address.

Posted

jazzster, you are not going to make money this way. You need to think again, my friend.

Posted

If you're willing to share, I would be willing to view and offer my thoughts.

Posted

jazzster- that would be brilliant if you could. I am an nqt teaching a mixed year 3/4 class, my head teacher wants me to teach all subjects from the new national curriculum and feeling a bit lost at the moment with no guidence from sites such as hamilton who dont seem to be releasing anything until September. my email is aliceclifford@live.co.uk

Posted