Help with NPQH application?

TES Professional development - Forum

If you’re looking for advice on how best to develop your career then join the TES professional development group. You’ll find advice on CPD courses, which career path to take, moving from primary to secondary and much more.

Members 2070 Total Posts 3227
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

Help with NPQH application?

I am currently a Deputy Head of a large school (over 1000)

I was previously unsuccessful with an NPQH application and have now worked hard to develop weak areas. I was wondering if anyone out there has been successful with the recent re-vamped course.

Would anyone out there be kind enough to share their successful application form so that i can see the type of layout and level of detail needed?

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Hi - In Wales we are allowed to apply once a year. I have applied 6 times now and failed each year. I have attained from friends successful applications and have been amazed to find that the content in my own application is clearly much stronger. I have even based my application on similar lines to their successful applications and still not made it. I really do think it is all wrong as my own career has been strangulated to death by a system that fails to give me the equal opportunity of undertaking the NPQH. It really is an abysmal selection system that in truth is looking more and more like a lucky dip lottery.  

If you can leave me a contact email ad, I will let you see 3 successful applications.

Regards Pete 

Posted

Hi

If possible could I also have a look at those application forms. The hurdles we have to jump!!!!

Thank you

emma_jc@hotmail.com

Posted

Hi Pete,

Just about to apply for next round myself for first time- any chance of sharing these applications with me? Would be grateful for any help

Thanks

Julie

Posted

Sorry- email address is edkinsj@bf8.md.e2bn.net.

Thanks in advance

Posted

Hi Pete,

I am in the process of applying for NPQH and have drafted about 2/3 of the application form. I would be really grateful to have a look at examples of successful applications to give myself the confidence that I am on the right track (or not!) There is not much guidance on the 3 reasons for knowing that one is ready for headship and though I can think of several and back them up with evidence, I would like some exemplars so that I format my answers appropriately.

My email address is imaths@yahoo.com

Thanks very much,

Jackie

Posted

Hi Jackie

I am also in the middle of applying for headship.  Do you have any tips?  My email address is;

sandraulett@hotmail.com

Cheers sandra

Posted

Hi there

I too would really appreciate a look at the forms you have.

Email is littlebrecks@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers

Posted

Hi Pete,

I am currently a Deputy Head of a medium size primary school facing npqh application form!!!!!!

Would you be kind enough to share any examples of  successful application form so that I can see the type of layout and level of detail needed? I'am a bit frustrated at the moment........

Kind regards,

Kash

my email address is kashab@btinternet.com

Posted

Hi Pete,

I am sorry to hear that you have had six attempts to gain a place on the NPQH.  A little hard to believe when we all know that there is such a demand for Headteachers.  It really says something about the system.  I like so many others have probably looked at the screen trying to get inside the minds of those we must impress!!! With little luck.  I see that you have three successful applications and would be grateful if you could forward them to me.  I would also be interested in your own as you have much stronger content.  You wonder what the criteria really is.  All the very best and good luck with your application.  I hope that one day soon you are one of the successful ones!

Harry

harry2471@hotmail.com

Posted

NPQH Headquarters 2010:

Terry is opening the post.

"Oh terrific, yet another application based on those doing the rounds on the TES website."

Paula looks up from her work.

"Chuck it over here then Terry.   I can see your bin is already full".

Posted

I am looking to apply in this round, and would really appreciate looking at some sample application forms. 

If anyone is willing to share, I would be really grateful. 

Thanks - sarahsantos@btinternet.com

Posted

NQPH Headquarters.   Terry is monitoring this site.

"Paula, could you add the name Sarah Santos to the REJECT LIST?"

Posted

Yep.

Sarah Santos, Sandra Ulett, K Ashab, Julie Edkins. . .

It really is not advisable to look at someone else's application for ANYTHING.  It's all too easy to be over-influenced by what you've read, and then unwittingly include phrases or even whole sentences from the other person's work.  Involuntary plagiarism, yet still plagiarism.

UCAS are using plagiarism software to spot similarities between personal statements in undergraduate applications.  PGCE courses are too, for trainee teachers.  Local Authorities are getting on to the bandwagon, and using the software for applications for teaching posts.  Don't you think the NPQH lot are likely to be following the crowd?  Be daft to have your application thrown into the bin for this, and your chances of becoming a Head stymied. 

Stymied for ever.

It is also very unwise to have your real name on a public forum; 70% of employers do a search on applicants for posts.  I have just googled one of the people above - the one who, Google tells me, is a Deputy Headteacher at B********* M***** S***** in L******* B******.  In a few years' time (assuming she gets her NPQH) she could be applying for a Headship and I could google her and discover that in 2010 she was asking for help with her application . . .  Not the best start for a shortlisting committee to see that.

And finally, to put your e-mail on a public forum in its actual form is just asking for spam.  The web-crawlers will find it and sell it.  If you must put your e-mail somewhere public (preferably without your real name), then do it in this format: theo dot griff at hotmail dot com so that it cannot be recognised by the crawlers.

Yes, I know that you think that I am a sad old bloke, interfering in this way.  But I am telling you this for your own good.

Honest, folks, this is NOT a good idea!

Posted

Hi Pete

I was debating whether I should apply for npqh, but all these depressing comments are putting me off.  I did the leadership course with ncsl which was really good.  It's all very well them asking for strategic things we have put in place - that can only be done if the HT has let us do it!  However, I would like to see your forms if that's ok.  Keep trying!!

Regards

Muninder

mkmuninder@hotmail.com

Posted

NPQH Headquarters 2011.

Terry grins broadly.

"That TES thread is back."

Paula punches the air.

"Thank heavens for that, I was getting sick of actually having to read the applications."

Posted

Hi

I am struggling with the readiness for Headship part at the end.  I would appreciate any guidance from other people who have been through the process. 2  area's for development....are these best to be whole school issues that need addressing? or for example learning more about finance and governance???  Help

My email is: helen.georgia@yahoo.co.uk if anyone had any good advice!!

Thanks Helen

Posted

I would just like to add that I do not wish to see any forms....I have my own content....just some tips or words of wisdom!

Thanks Helen

Posted

I am utterly amazed that people who think they are ready to take on a Head's job are openly asking to see other people's applications.  A headteacher needs to command respect and

I would have no respect for any of the people on an open forum requesting copies of other people's applications.  Shame on you - you do not deserve the job.
    Posted

And just look at the date of the original post!

Posted