Help! Primary PGCE vs School Direct (Employment)

TES Prospective teachers - Forum

Whether you’re a career changer, thinking about starting a BEd or you’re planning on taking the PGCE route you’ll find lots of advice here. Charlie Taylor will answer new topics containing "Dear Charlie" in the subject.

Members 6255 Total Posts 22341

Help! Primary PGCE vs School Direct (Employment)

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the final year of an Education based degree. I have been interviewed for a PGCE Primary place and been conditionally accepted (subject to 2:1, as I've already completed the Skills Tests). I now have a School Direct (unsalaried) interview soon.

I was just curious, from an employers perspective, if a school had one vacancy and you had got it down to two people, who had done the same degree, who were equally qualified, had performed the same in the interview etc and you could not decide between them, would you look at their route into teaching? PGCE vs SD? What would you / your school do to decide who should get the job?

Also, would you advise or discourage people from going down the SD route?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Hi I too have this dilemma. I have a place on a PGCE and Schools Direct and I have to choose one this week :-( I have managed to speak to one headmaster before the schools broke up and he said he would not make a choice based on PGCE or Schools Direct as the applicants route into teaching. I am going to speak to a couple more headmasters this week to ask their advice. I think I am leaning more towards the Schools Direct route though. I think it gives you better experience of school life and hopefully more chance of a NQT position at the end of it. I know you are not guaranteed a position but you must have a better chance as you would already be known to a group of schools.
    Posted
    I wouldn't use someone's route into teaching as the deciding factor. Their teaching ability (so interview lesson and references) are what matters most. But what route you choose may affect your teaching ability - schools direct means you are thrown in and teach straight away (how confident are you?) whereas the PGCE means more time to reflect, more theory, building up your teaching skills. I'd probably recommend the PGCE as it is more traditional / recognised by Heads when recruiting (schools direct is v new and one of a raft of Govian iniatives...). But it depends on you. If you're a TA or already have school experience, then you might feel the SD is for you.
    Posted