Preparation for working life lesson ideas

TES PSHE - Forum

The TES PSHE Group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in the teaching of PSHE in schools.

Members 2083 Total Posts 3265
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

Preparation for working life lesson ideas

I have been timetabled one lesson per week for this module-however the resources are quite complicated. The class is medium/high ability, but has anyone any fun resources that match the criteria please? The exam does not seem to be as complex as the teaching schedule-or am I just missing the point?
    Cheers for all guidance.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    It is me again

I have been delivering PWL for 3 years and really enjoy it.

I have ended up making some booklets of my own as there are no text books that follow the course.

Axis education;
    Collins "Issues series

both of the above are pretty good

Good luck

Anna
    Posted
    Anna you are a very talented lady. Am in awe. Will try your recommendations. Erm...being cheeky, but ...any chance of copies of your booklets please? x
    Posted
    hi
    i'm teaching this course, first year, no resources nightmare! Have got 2 days off timetable with another teacher next week to prepare some resources.
    Have bought loads from Axis education and use a lot of careers resources we already had for the working unit.
    Posted
    Anna I too am calling on your help. I am an Australian teacher who normally teaches English but have been asked to take a PSHE class. The unit I am doing with the students is Preparation for Working Life. Could I be cheeky and ask for a copy of your booklet? I am at my witts end and just don't kow where to begin with this subject.

Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ali
    Posted
    Huh, we spent £450 on Axis resources, went through them today and they are all really bland and boring, have to use them as a guideline and re-do them.
    Can't find the issues books, do you have a link?
    thanks
    Posted
    Hi vicx

I'm surprised about your reaction to Axis resources. I have been using Axis resources for 2+ years pupils in PRUs and they go down really well. For my learners the materails are good because there's not too much text on a page and the variety of activities keeps pupils interest. Which ones did you find bland?

For preparation for work we've been using Job skills and Basic skills for work as well as social skills for work and some of the Skillbuilders.
    Posted
    I seem to be jumping on the same band wagon, but would it be possible Anna to have a copy of the booklet you have put together fot Preparation for Working Life. Like everyone else, I have had a nightmare trying to put together resources for a subject I have never taught before and only get one lesson a week to get across to PRU students.

With Thanks
    Posted
    Hi Anna!

I too would like to jump on the same band wagon and would like a copy of the booklets you have put together for Preparation for Working Life. Like everyone else, I have had a nightmare trying to put together resources for a subject I have never taught before. I have three lessons a fortnight and three other members of staff who want lesson plans from me!

With Thanks
    Posted
    Re: Prep for working life.
    Hi Anna, Are any of the booklets that you've created for sale? I'm trying to finish a scheme of work for this course at the moment so getting my hands on workbooks etc is one less thing!
    Thanks
    Mark
    Posted
    Hi Mickle,
    I am the new Youth Support Co-ordinator in a PRU and come September will be teaching PWL for the first time would love to speak to you and discuss the syllabus and share some gd ideas practice etc. my eamil is awhitey44@hotmail.com
    look forward to hearing from you
    p.s. that goes for any 1 else teaching PWL in Sept
    Posted

Hi all,

I have been informed this week that I will be teaching PfWL in September!  I am a youth worker based at a part time key stage 4 EOTAS project.  I have been given two lessons per week to deliver the course and have very little experience in this subject area.

Any advice would be greatly received as would any lesson plans or recommended resources. 

Would also like to jump on the band wagon and request one of your booklet please Mickle.

Please forward anything useful to:

kirstyabetts@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Posted

hi all

I can not send out that many hard copies, but if you are in/around the berkshire area could arrange a meet. Much of the material is taken from a variety of sources

There is a lot of free material out there is you just hunt around.
    Posted

i forgot to mention, have decided not to do PWL next year as ASDAN have a great new GCSE equivalent course called Personal and Social Development..(PSD)it answers all the criteria for PHSME, citizenship and financial education, very flexible and available at a varity of levels.

Not the same on COPE as the emphasis is on learning..no key skills

Posted

Dear Mickle,

I have just seen your message about a hard booklet. Would it be possible for me to meet you somewhere around Berkshire to pick one up? It sounds very interesting and just the kind of resource I am looking at rolling out to my KS4 PSHE pupils.

Kind Regards,

Laura

Posted

No problem... just let me know what are the best times for you..I am based In Wokingham at a residential EBD school...my number at home is 01344 774400   after 5 any evening

hi..no problem..I am based in Wokingham..so send me your contact details

Posted

hi, im new to TES and also the course prep for working life. I have a new job at a PRU and i am to deliver the course. havnt a clue were to start, have searched high and low for resources, can youor anyone out there help. thanxs

Posted

hi andy its adelle, did you get any response to your post regarding PWL? let me know if you have any ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X

Posted

Hi  Anna 

Like all the others  I  am struggling  to get  resources for  PWL.  I  was  wondering whether I  could have a  copy of your PWL  booklet

lynda.thompson@oldham.gov.uk

Kind  regards 

Lynda 

Posted

There are a whole host of free, well documented, detailed and easy to use resources here for both PHSE and Careers/ Working Life lessons.They are from groups like SkillsActive and the Institute of Motor Industries.

We're always looking to find new resources too, and hear more about your feedbackl on them so  please take a look at what we've got so far and if you have any recommendations - do please say so on the site.

Hope you find them useful!

http://www.free-teaching-resources.co.uk/careers_key_stage_3.shtml

Best,

Mark

Posted