HELP with RE plan - YR - baby naming ceremony

TES Religious Education - Forum

The TES RE Group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in the teaching of RE.

Members 1716 Total Posts 12074

HELP with RE plan - YR - baby naming ceremony

I am a trainee teacher, trying to plan a lesson on a christian baby naming ceremony. Where can I find the learning objectives and some ideas on how to approach teaching this?

It is for YR 2.

Thanks

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Definitely a naming ceremony as opposed to a Christening?

Posted

Initially looking at a christian christening, but then looking at a Jewish baby naming ceremony/how they welcome a new baby, before comparing the 2.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Posted

I'm not a primary teacher but maybe you could talk about them joining school and compare it with a Christening as joining the Church. Do you work in a church school?

Posted

Do you know where the lesson fits into a scheme of work?  Are the main themes in the scheme of work based on religious rituals, belief, identity, worship???

If unsure, i'd probably heavily go down the AO2 'learning from religion' route. 

This way you could focus on the nature of names, a label of someone's identity then go on to examine the nature of identity.  What makes you YOU.  Physical characteristics, emotions, feelings, family, upbringing, religion, soul etc...

Have a look at what some names means (e.g. Matthew = Gift from God) - perhaps even researching the histories/meanings of names of some pupils in your classroom (or finding out for homework)

I'm guessing since its a primary lesson your not teaching Jewish birth ceremonies (including Brit Milah and Pidyon Haben?) 

If looking at baptism etc... you could encourage other pupils to discuss experiences (the chances are some have experience of what a baptism is) - but would you be explaining the meaning of such ceremonies?  Sorry, I'm guessing the concept of washing away Original Sin from the Fall is too advanced for year 2.  So you could focus on the Vicar/Priest accepting the child into the Christian faith - yet still focusing on the nature of identity.
    Posted

Thanks! Good idea to link it to joining school. Thanks. It is not a church school that I am in. It is the 1st RE lesson I have had to teach, just making sure that I am on the right track :)

Posted

Thanks for the ideas. It is part of the 'belonging' theme, looking at Judaism. Linking the ceremony to identity would be a good route to take, as they have just looked at special places.

I didn't know if there was a scheme of work for RE to take ideas from? I don't think my school uses one.

Posted

I always feel you're not really comparing like with like with, for example, christening and a circumcision ceremony......if you're not confident, it's not as easy as it appears.

Posted

Have you specifically been told to do a lesson on naming ceremonies?  If so, I wouldn't have chosen Baptism and Brit Milah.  I'd have probably focused on Sikh and Muslim naming rituals and focus on identity and belonging. Or did they specify 'Christian/Jewish naming ceremony'?

Posted