iPad/iPhone apps for RE teachers?

TES Religious Education - Forum

The TES RE Group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in the teaching of RE.

Members 1739 Total Posts 12126

iPad/iPhone apps for RE teachers?

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if there are any religious education teachers out there who know of any good reference applications which may be of help when teaching religious education? I am really looking for good applications which are of the major secret texts (without some kind of religious-laden agenda!) , but also possibly some kind of interactive encyclopaedia of all the major world religions? Also, are there any good applications in general for philosophy, theology, and religious studies. What I mean, is are there any secular applications out there as well? Of course, as a religious education teacher, I do not view my job as converting or proselytising, therefore, if any of these acts are as impartial and as unbiased as possible, I would be very much appreciated. Alternatively, I've found it quite hard to wade my way through all of the free books or "kindle" free downloads. Does anyone have any recommendations? Which ones are the better ones? It seems, to be honest, that some of them look like they have been written by monkeys with typewriters! I've downloaded already the  "locus Bible software" but finding it quite limited and quite theology heavy. I am sorry, in advance, if this thread has already been begun elsewhere. I have done my best to "Google" it, but technology has never been my best facet! Thank you very much, Jonny
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    The only ones I have are: 'Bible' (its logo is brown background with gold text saying 'Holy Bible' - i like the search facility on it 'iQuran' 'Festivals Lite' always on the look out for more but like you i get fed up of searching :)
    Posted
    Thank you! I downloaded the Bible one. It looks good! And I think you are right about the search feature. I had a look at the Koran one, but was put off by the price! Do you know if there is a good one on Amazon, or even on iBooks? Festivals lite seems only for iPhone at the moment. Do you know if there is something similar For the iPad? Also, do you have any good ideas about how I can use the Ipad in general? Jonny
    Posted