Mother Teresa

TES Religious Education - Forum

The TES RE Group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in the teaching of RE.

Members 1788 Total Posts 12197
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

Mother Teresa

Anyone know of any resources for year 9 observed lesson on Mother Teresa?

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I have recently uploaded an assessment on her.

I find assessment prep lessons about the best to be observed; afl, exam technique, games etc.

Posted
    There are some great resources/ideas on Mother Teresa at http://learningtogive.org/lessons/unit37/lesson2.html
    Posted
    If you can, track down the film that BBC made about her work some years ago. I used to use it a lot. You can show it in part with some thoughtful questions to discuss afterwards. I'll have a quick look for it on Youtube and BBC sites.

Does anyone else know the film I mean? I remember at the time the BBC cameraman saying that when they filmed in the temple which she used as a place for people who were dying, the light was not sufficient for filming, but because it was so moving he continued filming anyway. When the film was developed this part came out fine with a very gentle light that 'by ordinary scientific principles' was simply not there.
    Posted
    Just uploaded some good video links from YouTube.

this is my 100th resource! I am so glad it is for someone so significant. If ever there was a Christian saint who walked the earth it is Mother Teresa - in my view. I wish I could have met with her.
    Posted

Thank you for all your resources durgmata. I was in Calcutta when I was 18 (a long time ago!) and someone came into the room and said 'do you want to meet Mother?' I remember saying 'Mother who?!' We went to her house and she was so generous with us and very very humble. It felt very strange being next to this tiny woman who was so famous. She was very smiley and interested in us and our time in India and I now have a lovely framed photo of her and I on my classroom wall!!

Posted

Thank you so much for your help with this!

Posted
    surf41sun
    We went to her house and she was so generous with us and very very humble. It felt very strange being next to this tiny woman who was so famous. She was very smiley and interested in us and our time in India and I now have a lovely framed photo of her and I on my classroom wall!!
    Wow! I was in Calcutta in the early 80's with the family and we were all set to visit Mother Teresa's centre and meet her - but my son became ill. We had been 'playing Holi' and I think some of the coloured water that was being squirted everywhere had got in his mouth, and with it some nasty bugs. So when we should have been enjoying the wonderful visit to see Mother Teresa I was sitting in my brother-in-laws flat holding my son's hand and trying to spoon boiled water down his throat, which he was just vomiting back. I really feared for his life and without the expert doctors and medicine he probably would have died. It was one of the most virulent strains of that kind of sickness and he was only quite young. I still feel cold when I remember it.

Later, when he was 14, he went with some friends to Italy and was able to meet Mother Teresa when our spiritual Teacher honoured her. So at least I got to meet her 'by proxy.' I just found this photo of the occasion on the website

http://www.srichinmoy.org/kind_words/mother_teresa/index.html

The torch she is holding is from the World Peace Run, renamed since 9/11 when peace became a 'political word' as The World Harmony Run.
    Posted
    durgamata
    The torch she is holding is
    This photo is towards the bottom of this page. You will see from all the quotes, that the two individuals had a great love and respect for each other.
    Posted
    Just added another file of Youtube videos on Mother Teresa. These include a film made in 2003 about her life, very interesting, you could show it older classes in instalments, Its a bit slow and complex for yr 7 or 8 I think, as it really does trace the whole history of her work, including the ins and outs of Catholic politics etc.

do let me know if you have any other good resources - films, books or anything else which I should include to make the resource as complete as possible. I would particularly like to track down the documentary by Malcom Muggerage 'Something Beautiful for God' which I used to use but no longer have.
    Posted

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the mix....

I volunteered at one of Mother Teresa's projects in Calcutta, a hospice called Prem Dam. The conditions were squalid, bot for the patients and the volunteers. Every morning we would scrape soiled sheets and hand wash them in water that we'd boiled over a fire. The patients had nothing to keep them entertained, nothing to comfort them, everything extremely basic. I was therefore suprised to discover that the Missionaries of Charity is the richest charity in the world!! MT liked to keep things simple at her projects in order to keep 'Western volunteers' humble. I'm sure MT has done a lot of good, but it angered me to see how much of a saint she has been turned into, when she did and said many questionable things as well...

As you can see I like to play Devil's advocate, and if you want to as well you could get your students to think about her from this angle, challenge preconceived ideas and get to the heart of the matter etc....

Posted
    There are some people who think she did nothing 'political' to attack the causes of poverty - but that was not her 'calling.'

Her calling was to respond to each of the people who was in her care, with love and compassion - to see Christ in them and serve Him in them.

The money received by the Missionaries of Charity is all used to serve the poor and expand this work into more parts of the world - including the affluent West. She commented that it is harder to remove the poverty of loneliness, depression and despair that her members encounter in the West than to satisfy the physical hunger of those who beg for food in the 'third world' countries.

I think all of this is worth discussing in class. It is not a question of 'keeping western volunteers humble' - her work demands tremendous dedication and humility from those who work in it, wherever they come from.

If you compare the conditions of those in Prem Dam with the conditions that they were in before coming there, you will find a big improvement. Otherwise they are free to walk back out and onto the streets. I guess the whole experience was a big shock as you were seeing the people through the lens of your own cultural and economic conditioning. That prevented you from feeling real oneness with the sisters and entering fully into the spirit of self-giving.

Being loved and cared for, having someone wash your soiled sheets, talk to you and treat you like a person of worth - this is a great gift for those who had nothing and nobody who cared about them before coming to such a Centre.

There are many who attack Mother Teresa and her work, It is easy to criticise and find fault. but my questions are,

Did Mother Teresa make a positive difference to the lives of those in her care? = Answer is yes.

Do the members of the Sisters of Charity who continue her work make a positive difference to the lives of those in their care? = answer again is yes.

Our faces, after the age of about 30, reflect our lives. Does Mother Teresa's face reflect the love for God and compassion for suffering people that she spoke about? = the answer again is yes.

Our students have a right to learn about good people and to be inspired by them. I would put Mother Teresa very high on such a list.
    Posted

durgamata
    Our students have a right to learn about good people and to be inspired by them. I would put Mother Teresa very high on such a list.

They also have a right to learn that the charity runs homes for people with TB and leprosy - two conditions that can be cured but they are not given antibiotics, they are instead taught the rhythm method and given a 'Catholic death'.

Don't believe me? Have a read of her nobel acceptance speach.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1979/teresa-lecture.html

This woman flew herself to the US for medical treatment when she needed it but denied it (and her followers still deny it) to others.

It is worth discussing in class, but that is discussing, the good and the bad, not just saying "hey this woman is wonderful".

Please expose your student to the criticism as well, the article in the Lancet describing pain medication being withheld on principle, syringes being rinsed and reused.

http://www.sallywarner.blogspot.com/

http://www.ucanews.com/2011/11/25/police-raid-church-run-orphanage/

FInally please read this interview

http://www.facebook.com/notes/hemley-gonzalez/another-of-mother-teresas-houses-of-horror-electroshock-therapy-as-punishment-wo/192031457481961

Posted

sashh

They also have a right to learn that the charity runs homes for people with TB and leprosy - two conditions that can be cured but they are not given antibiotics, they are instead taught the rhythm method and given a 'Catholic death'.

I don't think someone with terminal TB or leprosy would be very interested in methods of contraception. Your charge doesn't make much sense.

Maybe they can't afford antibiotics. Other agencies are free to set up their own charitable institutions where antibiotics are available, but they'd probably face the problem that they'd have to turn most applicants away, because you need to be trained doctor to know what antibiotic to administer (dispensing them willy nilly causes resistance to develop and does more harm than good), and it's hard to get qualified doctors, medical training is very expensive.

Posted

bgy1mm

I don't think someone with terminal TB or leprosy would be very interested in methods of contraception. Your charge doesn't make much sense.

not my charge - did you bother to read the speech?

" And also, we are doing another thing which is very beautiful - we are teaching our beggars, our leprosy patients, our slum dwellers, our people of the street, natural family planning."

That is a direct quote. I actually agree with you about it not being of much interest.

Read the rest of it.

bgy1mm

Maybe they can't afford antibiotics. Other agencies are free to set up their own charitable institutions where antibiotics are available, but they'd probably face the problem that they'd have to turn most applicants away, because you need to be trained doctor to know what antibiotic to administer (dispensing them willy nilly causes resistance to develop and does more harm than good), and it's hard to get qualified doctors, medical training is very expensive.

The drugs for leoprosy are provided via WHO free. Free to everyone in the world and they are not antibiotics.

In the case of TB you only need a Dr to prescribe antibiotics, anyone can give them out. I doubt a slumb dweller  in Calcutta has had numerous exposures to antibiotics.

Yes medical training is expensive, but mediciens sans frontiers seem to manage to recruit a few docotrs.

You mention people with terminal leprosy and TB - the fact remains that these diseases are not only treatable but curable, but the homes for the dying do not even attempt to save lives.

Please have a look at the facts, read MT's speech and ask yourself  why you find it acceptable for an organisatioin to raise money to provide a death but not to prolong life.

Surely this is relevant to education. Looking at both sides, not just accepting something at face value the publicity machine.

Posted

sashh

bgy1mm

not my charge - did you bother to read the speech?

" And also, we are doing another thing which is very beautiful - we are teaching our beggars, our leprosy patients, our slum dwellers, our people of the street, natural family planning."

That is a direct quote. I actually agree with you about it not being of much interest.

So she's teaching poor people natural family planning. By leprosy patients she presumably means people in the early stages of the disease. Natural family planning is a way of limiting family sizes whilst respecting the integrity of the human being. Contraceptives are what corrupt Westerners use, and they are taking down our society - they're the root cause of the current financial crisis.

Yes medical training is expensive, but mediciens sans frontiers seem to manage to recruit a few docotrs.

So medicins sans frontiers may be doing an excellent job. Because they're an organisation of French doctors, they can recruit volunteers with medical degrees. Mother Theresa's missionaries of charity maybe can't.

Surely this is relevant to education. Looking at both sides, not just accepting something at face value the publicity machine.

I agree here. There's a tendency to accept religious organisations at their own self-evaluation.

Posted

bgy1mm
    Contraceptives are what corrupt Westerners use, and they are taking down our society - they're the root cause of the current financial crisis.

What???????

And I still think telling someone with leprosy that they can get free treatment is more useful than family planning advice.

MT's charity is the richest in the world, they can afford the odd doctor.

Posted
    If I was teaching Mother Teresa, I'd certainly be playing Devil's Advocate and would have serious concerns about anyone who presented her as an untainted paragon of saintly virtue. Christopher Hitchens, for example, writes in God is not Great, '...only a few years ago Mother Teresa denounced contraception as the moral equivalent of abortion, which 'logically' meant (since she regarded abortion as murder) that a sheath or pill was a murder weapon also'. And here's Bryan Masters writing in 1996: 'Mother Teresa is before all else a sincere, committed ambassador for the Vatican. When she says that the greatest single threat to world peace is the practice of contraception and abortion, she believes it, and cannot see, because she does not think, that she is talking bunk. Though she sees all around her the disastrous effects of unchecked population, the misery and wretchedness which result from from the denial of contraceptive possibilities, she encourages those evils, even rejoices in them. She has applauded the world's most wicked, life poisoning dictators, such as Haiti's Duvalier and Albania's Hoxha, because they welcome increase in population and express their love for the poor by rewarding prolific mothers and punishing sensible ones. In short, she is not a charitable force so much as a dogmatic one. She is, perhaps, the best living exemplar of the dangers of an empty head allied to a decent heart.'
    Posted

sashh

bgy1mm
    Contraceptives are what corrupt Westerners use, and they are taking down our society - they're the root cause of the current financial crisis.

What???????

Too many old people, not enough young people.

Posted
    Mother Teresa and Abortion

I think there are many interesting and important questions and perspectives expressed in this thread which could be edited to stimulate some great discussion and research, so I have copied it and am uploading it on the resource where I have given the links to lots of good youtube videos about Mother Teresa.

Although I disagree with MT on the subject of abortion, I appreciate the sincerity and strength of her passion to protect and care for life in all its stages, from conception to the grave.

I have read that from the perspective of reincarnation and karma, the soul can enter the foetus at any stage from conception to birth, but usually does not connect with a foetus until the latter stages of pregnancy. If an abortion occurs before a soul has made this connection, then an abortion is no more spiritually significant than having a tooth out. It is just a matter of the mother's body.

But if the soul has made a connection and then that foetus is aborted, the soul just flies back to the 'soul's world' where it was before. No actual harm is done but the soul may be angry or frustrated at loosing this opportunity for its next incarnation - and that anger can harm the mother, causing her to have problems with subsequent pregnancies.

From the perspective of karma, it is more serious to bring a child into the world without a loving family who want it, than to recognise you have made a mistake and correct this by having an abortion.

This is an interesting perspective to share with your students when covering the topic of abortion.
    Posted