Beetroot Experiment on temperature and Cell Membrane Permeability

TES Science - Forum

Join hundreds of science teachers in the TES Science group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place to go to debate the latest issues in science teaching.

Members 3957 Total Posts 15447

Beetroot Experiment on temperature and Cell Membrane Permeability

I have been asked to help a family friend with an A-Level Experiment conclusion. It is the experiment with beetroot pieces to find out how temperature affects cell membrane permeability. I know that as the temperature increases it increases the permeability and I think it is due to a permanent change in the protein structure part of the membrane (they become denatured), but am I right?? Thanks.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Hi, I did this excellent experiment recently teaching my AS level Biology students.  Your conclusion is correct, and I have added a few extra points that you & your family friend may find useful :

•  Higher temperatures (for example, from 55 °C) increased the permeability of the tonoplast and plasma membrane
    •  The phospholipid bilayer could become progressively more disaggregated (increased kinetic energy of phospholipid molecules)
    • Membrane proteins could become denatured
    • Both could create extra holes for pigment leakage by diffusion – more leaky membranes and faster diffusion at higher temperatures
    •  Without the ability to control what goes in and out of cells, the control mechanisms in cells are disrupted, so they die.
    Enjoy Big Smile
    Posted

Permeability increases well below 55C - you will see an increase from 0C upwards as the fluidity of the membrane increases.

This is an experiment that can give good or rubbish results. Rubbish comes from:

• using different beetroot for different samples
    • taking samples from different soil depths, they should be from the same circumference line
    • different depths of sample from the outside in

At this time of year in particular, plants are changing their membrane make-up to acclimatize for winter which can affect results. Cells in different parts of the beetroot are changing at a different rate, so causing "noise" from the above effects.

Posted
    Posted