Katie Morag

TES Scotland Early Years - Forum

Discuss the key issues in early years education in Scotland in the TES Scotland Early Years Group. This is also the place to get lesson ideas, inspiration and resource advice from other early years practitioners.

Members 433 Total Posts 773

Katie Morag

Hi everyone
    I was wondering if anyone could help. I am planning on writing a new topic planner for p1/2 about Katie Morag and her adventures. Does anyone have any ideas or planners that would be of any help pleeeeeeease! I noticed that the north ayrshire sites has a few good links but just wondering if anyone else had tried out any good ideas?
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Slightly off topic - but did you know katie Morag writer was at the west end festival in Glasgow nest week sometime
    Posted
    Have done this topic with slightly older children in the past and we looked at life on an island compared with life in a town; jobs - farming, post office; technology- designing and making trailer for Grannie Island or cart for Katie Morag. Class wrote letters as Katie Morag or Granny Mainland. Role play - a post office/general store.It's a great topic and the children enjoy the stories, there is a Katie Morag area on Storybookweb (LTS I think) and if you go on to the Random House website you can download information and ideas.
    Posted
    Thank you these ideas sound absolutely great cant wait to get it all sorted think it will be a great topic!
    Posted
    Apparently Katie Morag and the two Grandmothers is required reading for Year 2 in England. They do a huge topic on it. I would look at some of the English sites.
    Posted
    Oooh thanks I didnt know that I will do! Not a lot came back when I googled but will look more in depth now I know that!
    Posted
    Posted
    Thanks all this is all great help. Does anyone know if N Ayrshire have a planner for this? I see that it is on their website but wondered if there was anything to accompany this?
    Posted
    Hi

N Ayrshire don't have a planner as far as I know. The ERS website is simply for ideas and information on some topics.

Lynzie-Bear
    Posted
    found this by doing a tes forum search, might be useful!

at is Katie Morag’s island really like?
    As you may know, Struay does not exist, but is based on the real island of Coll.
    There is a useful pack available to support the QCA “Island Home” unit:
    Discover Coll: The Real Struay
    Jane Graham and Greg Walker

2 maps, 26A4 and 9 A3 photos plus activities

£34.95

Wildgoose 2003
    Tel 01530 835685

Also try
    www.scottish-island-shopping.com/coll/vtour/index.htm

The DFES pack on speaking and listening has a couple of nice drama activities for Katie Morag and the Two grandmothers
    Hope this helps

3 | Posted by: natsplat at 05 Oct 2005 19:38

Type Katie Morag into google and there is a good web site. Plenty of information on the net to help.

4 | Posted by: Zaria at 06 Oct 2005 19:36

We do 4 weeks of Katie Morag in Y2 as part of Literacy and linked to other subjects.

Katie Morag and the Two Grandmothers
    Character studies/comparison
    Hot seating; Teacher in role
    Writing Katie Morag's homework "My Grandmother" (children choose which parent to write about)

Katie Morag and Tiresome Ted
    Looking at characters feelings
    How is Mrs McColl, Katie Morag or Ted feeling at different points in story
    brainstorming feeling words (children wrote on sticky pads and we stuck these on giant ted picture)
    drama/role play - what happened to ted in the sea? retrace through the book and think about ted's point of view -
    what did he see? hear? feel? smell? etc...
    we then wrote ted's story
    story starter:
    One day my friend Katie Morag was feeling ____________ and she kicked me into the sea.
    We also did some art work by creating large illustrations of our favourite part of story/ mounting on card and writing a few sentences on illustration; they looked fab!

Giant wall collage of The isle of struay
    writing postcards from struay describing setting

Geog QCA; an island home
    drew panoramic pictures of struay and labelled significant features
    loked at isle of coll
    made katie Morag's family tree
    read non fiction books about islands
    listed good and bad things about living on island and decided if we would like to live on island and why
    compared local area to island: features/ amenities etc.

music: listened to songs about the sea /scottish folk music

lots more!

Posted
    if you search on resources here for katie morag, there are a number of activity ideas and also someone has kindly uploaded their planning. i have just finished a 2 week block with my year 1 kids in england, they love it!
    Posted
    Thanks everyone this is such a great help you have all been fab!
    Posted

hi mrs henderwick i dont know if you remember me my name was janet kilbride i played with tammy and mark i have bought youre books for my nephew children and they want to here all about katie morags life mabey one day they will visit

Posted