South Lanarkshire Council

TES Scotland unemployed teachers - Forum

Get support and advice in the TES Scotland Unemployed Teachers Group. You’ll find advice on other career options you could pursue, application tips and general support on how to deal with being unemployed.

Members 243 Total Posts 501

South Lanarkshire Council

Hello - could anyone enlighten me on how SLC recruit non-promoted teaching staff? Do they have an interview pool and the match up successful candidates to vacant posts? If so, does this mean Head Teachers have no say in the process? I'm a bit baffled & would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

You are basically right. There are the mass interviews and then the successful candidates are put on to a list with highest scoring ranking first. Head then have a chance to submit personal recommendations for certain candidates.  Heads then attend a meeting and are shown the successful list. They have an opportunity to take their pick and then other successful candidates who have not been personally chosen are allocated accordingly to other posts (pointages/fixed term). This is what I have been told by heads that I have worked for.
    Posted
    Thank you very much for your reply. I really can't believe the way they make their choices. I can't believe Head teachers have little control over the selection and that new staff are fousted upon department Head's without any thought to personality. I can only imagine lots of very unhappy departments across SLC and I have to say it has put me off working for them. I really hope other authorities don't go this way!
    Posted

jackson97
    Thank you very much for your reply. I really can't believe the way they make their choices. I can't believe Head teachers have little control over the selection and that new staff are fousted upon department Head's without any thought to personality. I can only imagine lots of very unhappy departments across SLC and I have to say it has put me off working for them. I really hope other authorities don't go this way!

I can assure you other authorities do! 

Posted