Year 11 Leavers' assembly and prom speeches

TES Secondary - Forum

The TES Secondary Group is a great source of support, ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in secondary education.

Members 4460 Total Posts 12307

Year 11 Leavers' assembly and prom speeches

I have agreed to 'help' my Deputy Head write speeches for the Year 11 Leavers' assembly and prom. In reality, this seems to mean I'm writing them! Any suggestions regarding content would be gratefully received...
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Dr Seuss' "Oh the places you'll go" goes down well
    Posted
    Thanks Packerguy
    Posted
    Not a speech as such but the last 2 years I have put together a powerpoint of photos that we have of the kids, especially from things they did when they were in years 7 and 8. I add funny speech and thought bubbles to the photos which appear a few seconds after the photo comes up. A chance to get a few digs back at one of two of them. Add a soundtrack (this year it was School's out by Alice Cooper).
    Posted
    For the last two years, we've enlisted the help of the year 11 form tutors. They've all had a 5m inute slot where they've given a speech or done a presentation for their form. The students love it because virtually all of them get a mention. Some form tutors did a 'guess the comment' quiz where they read out some of the year 6 comments from each student that were passed through to us as part of the transition process in year 7. Students had written down what their fears were and what they were most looking forward to; some of them were hilarious. The form teacher also showed year 7 and year 11 pictures of the students which went down a storm. One form tutor wrote a song and performed it but the tutors that just did a short speech were as equallly well received. You could also give out silly awards - whatever happens the students will love it.
    Posted