Secondary school Admission appeals - advice required

TES Secondary - Forum

The TES Secondary Group is a great source of support, ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in secondary education.

Members 4452 Total Posts 12293

Secondary school Admission appeals - advice required

Hi Folks

I have twins who are in year 6, so today they found out that they will not be going to their preferred secondary school.  They have been allocated a place each on the school marked as 3rd choice on the application form.

Do you think it is worth appealing against this decision?  The school in question is a Church Of England school and presumably they have already looked through the Supporting Evidence Form from our faith leader, but do you think I should try and gather more information from my faith representative in order to present it at the appeal (if I decide to go ahead with it).

Also, if I do appeal, I have the option of taking someone with me.  Who would be the best person to take with me?  Would it be someone from the Education dept in the council or my faith leader, or somebody else?

If my appeal gets rejected, do you think I should not persue it more or can I have some sort of a 2nd appeal?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I don't think you've got anything to lose by appealing.

My mother in law sits on appeals panels and says that sometimes the school wants to accept the children but can't because it would take them over their official numbers. So at the appeal they say they'll accept the children and because it's gone to appeal they're allowed to take them even though it means more pupils than they're allowed. Of course, this isn't always the case.

Posted
    I have been on panels in the past as a school governor giving the case against admission for the school. To be successful in your appeal you need to make it clear why your children will be especially disadvantaged by not having a place. This is not easy to do. I have seen cases where the girl appealing had suffered sexual abuse so her parents wanted her to go to a single sex school not get a place (if I had a vote I would have said yes). The people serving on an appeal panel are all human and want the best for the school / children involved. Your best bet is to come prepared, bring your children with you (making them real people to the panel) and above all be calm and polite. It is worth bringing someone with you to provide support if necessary.
    Posted
    I went through a (fairly) recent secondary school admission appeal for my two children - with success. If you want to, PM me and I will discuss my experience with you.
    Posted

I went through an appeal 2 yrs ago, and even paid for a solicitor, but were unsuccessful. The panel was split and eventually the headteacher won them over, due to lack of space.

You can't appeal against the appeal panel's decision but you can go to the ombudsman if there is a procedural apsect to appeal against. We were advised to do that by our solicitor but decided not to pursue trying to send our son somewhere where the head clearly didn't want him! (Even if it was just through lack of space).

He's in his second year at the school he did go to, very settled and doing very well. It's not always the end of the world not to go to your first choice, although it feels like it, but I guess it's worse if you've not got your second choice either.

Posted