implementing the new curriculum

TES SLT - Forum

Members of senior management teams in schools across the UK get together in the TES SLT Group. This is the place to share career tips, get advice on staff management and generally get a helping hand from your peers.

Members 2738 Total Posts 6892

implementing the new curriculum

Hi, I've just joined this group and wanted to pick some brains! I'm deputy head of a primary school and have been give the job of implementing the new national curriculum. I need to do an action plan and it's such a biggy that I'm already mind boggled about how to go about it! Anyone else thought this through yet, and if so, any good ideas/pointers of how to go about it??!! Gov website quite vague which hasn't really helped! I know I'm starting with lit and num in y3/4, then what? thanks in advance.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Good luck!! I am glad I am not in your shoes!!  The impression I have been led to believe is that the government have purposely made it vague and woolley due to the high amount of critisism on social media.  If you listen/read a transcript of Gove mans speech on the topic he hints at things like "freedom" and the vaguness is on purpose to allow you the freedom to truely educate the children.  You have a great opportunity to inspire and innovate and change the lives of countless children.  FREEDOM - Unfortunately OFSTED are a little behind and therefore you will need to jump through hoops and cover your A*** . OFSTED criteria limits schools, induces fear and stops schools taking risks.  Until OFSTED have a different idea of education and remove set critera schools will not take risks.  GO ON TAKE RISKS TO EDUCATE THE CHILDREN AND IMPROVE EDUCATION (but watch out for the OFSTED bogey man!!)

Posted

I'd do nothing until the final version of the new National Curriculum is published and very little after it is published.

The existing NC is being disapplied with effect from September but there is nothing to prevent you staying as you are.  In fact this may be the sensible thing to do because KS2 National Tests will continue to assess the old curriculum even when the new one is up and running.

Posted