PGCE for teaching Psychology/Sociology

TES Social sciences - Forum

The TES Social Science Group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in social science.

Members 913 Total Posts 2159

PGCE for teaching Psychology/Sociology

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help... I'm studying for a degree in BSc Social Sciences and would really like to go into secondary teaching. My degree is from the department of social and policy sciences and is predominantly made up of Sociology and Psychology.

I've been having a good look round at PGCEs and it seems only Manchester Met and Staffs offer a PGCE in Social Sciences/Psychology/Sociology. To do a PGCE in just psychology I know 50% of your degree has to be of that subject, however mine is around 35%...

So... Was thinking about applying for a PGCE in Citizenship at Bristol, as they state that if you have a degree in psychology/sociology there may be opportunities to teach these subjects on placements. However if I did this PGCE what does anyone think my chances of getting a teaching post in Psychology or Sociology would be after training? Just really confused as to what I can actually do!!

Any help would be really appreciated!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Hiya,

Well, I would say it depends where you apply....the job I am in right now were let down and I was the only applicant so got the job...and then the next teacher to take over from me (I am on a fixed contract) I think is doing her PGCE in RE...

So it depends if you are flexible in where you want to teach...I'm in Surrey at the mo.

My last job in Oxfordshire, I was actually called by them whilst on my PGCE course (in post compulsory ed) as they had been given my name and were desperate for a teacher for Sep....

But I know of a post advertised recently that had 12 applicants, so I guess it's just luck of the draw.

Good luck whatever you decide xxx

Posted

Hi,  

I have just been offered a place on the Secondary PGCE (QTS) in Social Science at the IoE in London. My degree is in Psychology and Sociology. So there's another course to consider (although I believe it is full now for the Sept 09 start). There are lots of Post Compulsory PGCE's out there as well if your're not so bothered about whether you get QTS or not. 

Good luck!

Posted
    Posted

Hi

I am currently studying on the social sciences course at MMU. My degree is in psychology and management, but there are people on the course with all different types of degrees. Sounds to me like your degree would be perfect for this course, as we teach a lot of psychology and sociology. The courses that do a PGCE in social science are:

MMU

Keele

Leicester

IOE, London

There are others that do straight psychology and others for the new diploma. Have a look on www.gttr.ac.uk for more info.

Hope this helps!!

Posted