Bangor Dyslexia Test

TES Special educational needs - Forum

Join hundreds of special needs practitioners in the TES Special Needs Group. Whether you work in a special needs school or you’re an SEN practitioner in mainstream you’ll find lesson ideas and inspiration here.

Members 3958 Total Posts 11330

Bangor Dyslexia Test

Hi all, I've joined this forum as a last resort to obtain some much needed info. My child is struggling at school and has been given the Bangor Dyslexia Test - at our request for some type of screening. However, I am pretty sure the school haven't done/marked the test correctly - maybe because of limited funds for future help. My questions are : If a student gets some answers within a section wrong is this classed as a positive, negative or intermediate score? On the times table questions, what times tables should be tested for an 8 year old? How many points out of 10 indicates that the student is showing dyslexic tendencies? I would be really grateful if someone could please help me. Amy
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Sorry I haven't used this test but was wondering why you think the school has not marked it properly.
    Posted
    I don't think its marked properly because from the small points that I can glean from the web I think there should be a mark or at least half a mark on some of the sections and if that is the case then it would confirm our suspicion that he has dyslexic tendencies. Also some of the tests carried out don't seem to be in line with the instructions on the test sheet we have a copy of.
    Posted

http://www.patoss-dyslexia.org/

Hi,

You could ring up Patoss and ask for some advice.

I wrote you a long reply and it disappeared but  you are obviously very worried and it may be worthwhile  having a private assessment done on him if the school is not being helpful. Patoss have an index of tutors who will undertake this type of assessment.

Do you not feel comfortable going into the school and asking them to explain the results - the thing to remember is that  the Bangor test is a screening test which gives an indication of dyslexia tendencies. It is not a formal assessment of dyslexia which would require your son to undertake a  range of assessments  ,which would take a few hours, to pin point his strengths and weaknesses.

I have seen students in my college badly let down by the system (although many haven't) so it is worth pursuing this so you can have a better idea of what it is exactly that is causing your son to struggle so much.

What are his main difficulties?,

Posted
    Thanks moonpenny, We are thinking of having him privately assessed, however we would like the full (and correct) picture before we went down that route. We are trying to get a meeting arranged with the school but because 'it's not in their interests' to find anything wrong (ie resources for extra help) and the discrepancies we feel are on the bangor dyslexia test sheet, we just feel that they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes. If we could just find out the correct procedure for marking and scoring this test it would help us when we do approach the school. He struggles mainly with his writing, numeracy and reading comprehension and in our opinion is displaying approx 70% of the symptoms listed on the British Dyslexia Association website.
    Posted

I have just been looking at a copy of the Bangor test but I don't have the teacher's manual as I have never used it - just copied  the test for reference.

I use a combination of tests to screen and decide if I should contnue with more detailed assessments  on a student.

I did find this on the internet. I don't know if it will help as the report is for an older student but  it also recommended that the Bangor test be used alongside other tests.

Having looked through the questions on the Bangor myself myself, I would not be happy to base my opinion based purely on the Bangor test but that is just me. I would want to use it along other tests, especially in view of the things you have said about your son and the concerns you have.

Bangor Dyslexia Test

This test was developed by Prof T R Miles from research conducted in the

Bangor Dyslexia Unit (1973, University of Wales).  The BDT is most suitable as

part of a wider assessment, and provides a screening for dyslexic type

difficulties, rather than a definitive diagnosis. Dyslexia positive indicators are

identified through 10 sub-tests:

1. Laterality (Left-right body parts)

2. Repeating polysyllabic words

3. Subtraction (mental arithmetic)

4. Tables

5. Months forwards

6. Months reversed

7. and 8. Digits forwards and digits reversed

9. b-d confusion

10. Familial incidence

Generally speaking, a student who scores at least 2 – 3 positive indicators will

exhibit a discrepancy between performance and ability that is unexpected. 

Student X presented with 4 positive indicators, and these results are as follows:

Laterality:   Student X made four errors in this test, and stated that she used the

strategy ‘right is the hand that I write with’, to assist her with orientation.

Subtraction:  Student X did not make any errors on this test, but it should be

noted that her responses were hesitant, and she stated that she ‘counted on’ or

‘counted up’ to calculate answers.

Tables:  Student X stated that she had major difficulties with tables at school. 

Although she manages tables with an ‘easy’ pattern such as 2x, 5x and 10x,

other tables are more difficult.  Student X attempted her 7x and 8x tables.  Her

progress was extremely slow and hesitant.  Student X stated that she calculated

each answer by adding-on to the previous answer, but was not able to say where

she was in the table.

Digits reversed:  Student X made errors at the 4 and 5 digit level.

Familial incidence:  Student X said that she has a cousin who struggles with

spellings, but is not aware of any family member with a formal diagnosis.

www.tcd.ie/disability/docs/screenreport.doc

This is quite an interesting read as well and discusses different screening tests including the Bangor.

http://www.lucid-research.com/documents/factsheets/FS19_Understandingdyslexia.pdf

Posted
    ...alongside
    Posted

Dyslexia Test
    The test used most commonly is the Bangor Dyslexia Test. Dyslexia positive indicators are sought through a series of sub-tests. It is essential that this test is not administered in isolation. There may be other reasons for scoring 'positive' on sub - tests and therefore the 'Bangor' should only be used in conjunction with a test of ability.

http://www.all4kidsuk.com/resources/dyslexia

Posted
    Posted
    Thanks, the info and links have been very helpful. I have managed to source a copy of 'The pattern of difficulties' by T R Miles from which the test is taken and it seems to confirm our original suspicions. If anyone does have a 1993 copy of this book I would appreciate knowing if the scoring is the same.
    Posted

amys12345
    Thanks moonpenny, We are thinking of having him privately assessed, however we would like the full (and correct) picture before we went down that route. We are trying to get a meeting arranged with the school but because 'it's not in their interests' to find anything wrong (ie resources for extra help) and the discrepancies we feel are on the bangor dyslexia test sheet, we just feel that they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes

It may be worth considering. Anyone who wishes to discount a private assessment will IME invariably say something along the lines of paid to tell the parent what they want to hear.

(not saying this is true !)

Posted

Hello Autism - fancy bumping into you here;)

I don't do private assessments - just them for my college so have no financial incentive to say anything that isn't true. I know this brilliant ex colleague who is like a mad professor type person and she definitely wouldn't do them for money or say anything that wasn't true - she goes into great depth.

If my child was struggling because of dyslexic type difficulties and   I knew having some written evidence would help my child get the support they need, I would quite happily go along that route.

From an assessor's point of view, the fact that dyslexia is a spectrum of difficulties which vary in severity from student to student makes assessing potentially open to individual  interpretation.

Maybe that is the problem, rather than assessors' setting out to mislead.

One thing that can't be argued with is the test scores evidence - it is the interpretation of these which is the responsibility of the assessor.

If someone has paid money for an assessment, I can see the potential pressure there. My experience of DSA assessments is that if the student has genuine problems relating to spld and you present the scores and a summary of difficulties, this is acceptable to sfe.

What is important is that the student gets the equipment and support they need and  nearly all students taking the assessment, take up the support as they need it. I can think of one who didn't but he had his partner giving him study skills support but he did use the equipment and he was quite clearly dyslexic.

BTW, Amy: any luck?

Posted

The other thing is defense of assessors is that we are a sad little bunch ...well, my bunch is...and we spend lots of time in in depth discussion about various conclusions we have made. One colleague who used to spend lots of time discussing various issues with me has now left to be the co-coordinator of a big university. I really miss our chats.

Also assessors are heavily vetted now. I have already had to renew my practicing certificate once since qualifying and it is up for renewal next year.

This involved showing evidence of  quite a few hours of relevant CPD which all has to logged in great detail.

You then have to submit a report which is scrutinized and comments made about your standards of assessing and then a decision is made about whether your reports meets the required standards and believe me the people doing this put the forum pedants to shame.

It also costs money. The last time it cost me £150 to renew. I have just paid £80 to  rejoin Patoss and will be paying monthly  for professional indemnity.

The other thing to remember is that most assessors go into the area of dyslexia out of interest in the subject, rather than to make money.

Or maybe that's me being my fluffy, naive self as usual;)

In fact, after reviewing my above post....beating myself over the head with a big stick would be easier and cheaper

.Plus as I am the only one who can assess at  my campus (there are others from our other campuses and we all see each other quite a bit) so no-one else realises just how hard and time consuming it is to asess and write the assessments up and what a responsibility it is, I still have to teach for my allocated hours and fit in the assessing when I can, often putting myself under greater pressure than I would need to if I just said 'no' I don't have time........but then it isn't just a job to me, it is an interest as well.

Posted

Just read this and wondered how you had got on with your child's assessment? 

I have just come across the Bangor test being used in isolation to indicate to a family that their child is not dyslexic.  As class teacher and convinced that she is on the spectrum was upset but not surprised but a rebuff querying my motivations in questioning the result particularly when based on limited work not representative of her usual output.   The matter is now closed and the parents are to be advised there is no indication (despite their being a recorded low risk)

Posted