SEN/vulnerable pupils case studies for Ofsted

TES Special educational needs - Forum

Join hundreds of special needs practitioners in the TES Special Needs Group. Whether you work in a special needs school or you’re an SEN practitioner in mainstream you’ll find lesson ideas and inspiration here.

Members 3709 Total Posts 10877

SEN/vulnerable pupils case studies for Ofsted

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I'm the SENCo of a primary school and the Ofsted phone call is expected anytime now. I've been asked to put together case studies of children on the SEN register who also identify as being 'vulnerable'. I really don't know where to start with this. Aside from presenting data and tracking to Ofsted, does anyone have any idea what these case studies should consist of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    We've added notes to our tracking sheets - just a narrative rather than a fixed format, as they are so particular to each child. So for example if a child has SEN and other compicated family issues - parent in prison/looked after/under CP/moved schools a lot/sibling with SEN ... whatever, then that has been attached.
    Posted

This is a good idea, thank you.

Posted

Hi,

At our secondary school we first put together a list of our top 20 students with SEN - in terms of the gains they were making in reading / spelling ages and levels - and included their IEPs (which are a bit more like profiles rather than step-by-step plans, as often seen in Primary). We also had attendance info to back it up - to show their engagement with school had increased.

We then also included examples & notes on students who weren't making progress, why this was and what we were doing about it.

This was communicated face-to-face in a meeting with an inspector, rather than simply on paper. I think this is important as misinterpretations could be made, I feel, when purely looking at numbers.

Matt

Posted
    Hi I am in the same poisition For my case studies I will have an a4 summary sheet with needs, interventions, other agenices, impact of interventions then behind it I will add egs of work and IEPs
    Posted
    Hi Don't suppose you have a template I could have? Also how often would you be expected to review each individual case?
    Posted
    devilinthedetails

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I'm the SENCo of a primary school and the Ofsted phone call is expected anytime now. I've been asked to put together case studies of children on the SEN register who also identify as being 'vulnerable'. I really don't know where to start with this. Aside from presenting data and tracking to Ofsted, does anyone have any idea what these case studies should consist of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Suspect the clue is in the title. A commentary / resume with with key points and impact / success criteria would be useful. We also used to use these for INSET ( secondary ) to remind the staff / continue to raise awareness of the often very damaged students with whom we were working
    Posted