Possible application for SenCo Job!

TES Special educational needs - Forum

Join hundreds of special needs practitioners in the TES Special Needs Group. Whether you work in a special needs school or you’re an SEN practitioner in mainstream you’ll find lesson ideas and inspiration here.

Members 3461 Total Posts 10430

Possible application for SenCo Job!

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a possible career move to Senco.

I have just currently started my 3rd year of teaching in a large primary school in Devon. In my first year I taught a mixed year 3/4 class and in my second and current year I am teaching a mixed year 5/6 class. We have just found out that our part time (3 days) Senco has handed in her notice to leave at Easter. Her job is being advertised internally for members of staff to apply for if they wish. SEN has always been an area of education that has interested me during my BEd training and my teaching. During my training I was fortunate enough to spend 4 weeks in a special school working with children with ESB difficulties. In all 3 of my classes I have had a variety of children with SEN - Autistic children, dyslexic children and children with severe behavioural difficulties.

I am considering to apply for this role but I don't know if I'm experienced enough for it?! Has anyone gone into a Senco role this early on in their career? I'm worried I don't have enough subject knowledge but I'm told I will learn on the job and could have the chance of shadowing the current Senco before she leaves.

Do you have to do a further degree if you become a Senco? This doesn't put me off at all - doing an MA is in my future plans!

So what to do? Do I bite the bullet and apply for it or wait a few years for some more experience?

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

APPLY!! Why on earth not? At the very least it's experience of applying and interview. I'm trying to make the move from mainstream to SEN and in my 4th year now. If the opportunity is there, it's always best to try!!

Posted

Thank you for the reply! I now have a week to write my letter of application ! wish me luck as I don't have a clue where to start!

Posted