What docs have you been asked to take to JSA interview?

TES Supply teaching - Forum

Get together with hundreds of other supply teachers in the TES Supply Teaching Group. Share your experiences; get advice on the state of the supply teaching market and career opportunities for supply teachers.

Members 3242 Total Posts 27282
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

What docs have you been asked to take to JSA interview?

I know this is a bit late, but I'll ask anyway.

Phoned to make a claim for JSA yesterday and my interview at the office is tomorrow. The pack came through the post today and I've just looked at it.

My fault for leaving till last minute, but I'm a bit shocked at what they're asking for. She didn't tell me over the phone I'd need all this stuff. Mortgage details, copies of all bank statements, wage slips, original £1 premium bond I've had nearly 40 years!

I should be able to find all this, I think, but "...letter from employer..." What's this?

I don't have such a letter - did anyone else have to provide one?

Any advice appreciated.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Hi coronel, thanks for replying.

TBH, I don't know what I'm eligible for. MY husband's the primary childcarer now, so he doesn't earn.

For the duration of the school hols, we may need help, hence all the paperwork, I suppose.

I did save some of my wages for this time, but it's not going to last. I will need extra work, methinks.

When you mentioned "...be firm..." were you referring to contribution based, rather than income based?
    Posted
    Thank you...:)
    Posted
    I had my interview for JSA last week and they had asked me to bring all this stuff, letter from employer turned out to be a P45. Anyway took it all and all they looked at was my final payslip!!! Still havent' heard anything though...
    Posted
    They're being funny with me actually. Signed on for the 1st time last week and a day later I received a letter asking for more details. How long have I been a supply teacher? Am I still with agency? provide hours I've worked for the past year and do I have wage slips for them?
    I rang up and I said how am I supposed to inform them? Write on the back, as it's in a standard formal structure they sent me? Also how do I send all of my wage slips from the past year as I won't be sending them through the post to get lost!
    I had an appointment at job centre and handed in all wage slips to be photocopied and I gave them my answers to all their Qs on the back of the letter they sent me - I was quite snotty actually as they have all these details from when I first put a claim in back in February until April. I didn't have to hand in all of the 40 odd wage slips I have! All this for 6 weeks JSA! Ridiculous! If I knew it'd be this much work to keep my stamp duty I wouldn't have bothered!
    Posted
    Well, I had the interview and showed my last wage slip for each agency, and a few other bits. Did not need a 'letter from employer'.

They've said it'll be about 10 working days before I hear anything.

Signed the job seekers' agreement and have to look for admin jobs as well as teaching jobs.
    Posted
    I have been told that my JSA will be stopped as I 'left' my job voluntarily according to the agency. this is not the case i have explained that as its agency work I will continue to work in Septmember but need part time work to keep me going or JSA to tide me over the 6 weeks. They will not listen to this and are stopping my support. can they do this as whether I have left or not I am out of work and am seeking employment. Just to clarify i am still registered with Hays BUT not currently getting work.

YOu will all laugh at this one, when asked to get help writing my CV I was told we cannot do that but we can send you onbasic literacy skills course. I laughed and kindly reminded them that I AM QUALIFIED TO TEACH LITERACY!

This is really getting me down :'( I have no money and can't get a job anywhere!
    Posted
    Keep signing on an Appeal their decisn. If they keep getting your signature every two weeks, they will have to pay up, with arrears, when you win the appeal.

Write a detailed letter explaining that you are simply registered with the agency/agencies an they can't give you work when the schools are on holiday. State that you are an unemployed teacher who has been prepared to take p/t or temporary posts in the absence of permanent work.

Most appeals are granted if you make a clear case.
    Posted
    One of my agencies contacted me in July to say that if I wanted to take other work over the summer (and presumably if I wanted to claim JSA too) I would have to request a P45 FROM THEM AND RE-START MY REGISTRATION LATER. pOINT THAT SORT OF DETAIL OUT TO THE aPPEALS PROCESS TOO.
    Posted
    I had my interview at the Jobcentre today and it all went pretty smoothly. The guy checked over all my docs and processed my claim and the woman who is my consultant went through another form, my agreement (that I promise to apply for 2 jobs a week etc etc), gave me a couple of jobs to apply for and said right, thats about all we can do really! She looked for jobs and agreed that there wasn't anything that suited me. :) looking forward to a nice sum of much needed money!
    Posted
    Has anyone who has successfully received JSA also received a letter of confirmation?

I got a letter in the post this morning about Housing/Council Tax Benefit that the Job centre apparently think I am entitled to, but before they can give me anything they need a confirmation letter of JSA and also a letter from my letting agency confirming that I am up-to-date with rent payments.
    Posted
    I've had that letter, oodles, but on phoning to check the status of my claim, now find I'm not entitled to JSA (see my other thread).

I'm not unemployed, apparantly.

Were you successful?
    Posted
    Just re-read your post - you were successful :)

So how did you do it?
    Posted
    I've just finished my PGCE and haven't been employed recently, the people at the job centre were actually ok about it all - they just said it was an unusual claim! Not really sure how I did it! Although, signing on on Monday the guy who went over the things I should be doing was really interested in my teaching and said that he didn't really expect me to apply for any old job because of the supply I will be starting in Sept...its all been a bit strange really!

propbably not what you want to hear lwt2006...sorry.
    Posted
    Thanks anyway...:(
    Posted
    It has taken over four weeks and numerous phone calls but finally received the letter this morning to say that I can claim jobseekers allowance at the grand sum of £59.15 a week, hoping it will be backdated to my original claim date. Hasn't gone in the bank yet but hey!!!
    Posted
    So what did you have to say to them to be successful then, gill?
    Posted
    I told them i worked for a supply agency and that I would be returning to them in september, they did ask if i would be returning to the same school, so told them it was highly unlikely as I went wherever i was needed.
    They did ask if i had been paid for my final teaching practice back in feb/march and if the lea had paid my fees. I said no that the government had paid my fees and that I hadn't been paid for my final teaching practice.
    They did say that some supply teachers did not qualify for JSA, but somehow I did - not complaining about it though
    Maybe its where you live????? I really dont' know, I think its the luck of the draw or maybe all those millions of phone calls i made to them. The money is also in the bank today so I can eat this weekend.
    Hope that helps a little
    Posted
    me being thick thought you were automatically entitled to income support however when i turned up for my interview on frid at the job centre was told they would assess it even tho i have been working long term since lsat sept and even tho i have worked 3 weeks of the 6 weeks hols at a children's centre and have another job lined up for sept long term

what the hell are you supposed to do financially esp as a lone parent with a mortgage.

my new job is for derbyshire county council who pay a months wages in arrears-problem is that they think there are 7 weeks in a month (from previous experience and when you whinge they say you don't understand the system!!!)

wish i knew how you can live in a £500,000 house with dozens of kids and not work at all!!! only joking but it really makes you think like that!!!!

then to cap it all, whilst i was having my interview at the job centre my agency called me at home offering me work for mon but because i didn't get home until later they offered the work to someone else. didn't even try my mobile. is it just me or do they seriously expect you to stay at home waiting for that phone call

sorry but really pxxxxd off!!!!
    Posted
    Your recent work record is irrelevant for automatically getting JSA Contributory.

It's your National Insurance contributions in 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 that give you an entitlement to that JSA WHEN CLAIMING IT IN 2007. It simply pays the Personal Alowance of approx £59 per week, with nothing for dependants. It pays out even if you have a working partner or have oodles of money in the bank. It's the State Insurance policy that you have paid the premiums on and which you can claim on when you are unemployed.

JSA Contributory can be topped up with JSA Income based if your circumstances make you eligible (no working partner - or one on a low income working under 24 hrs per week-, low or nil savings).

If you have no entitlement to Contributory JSA, you are assessed for Income Based . If eligible, you can claim Housing Benefit if you rent and Council TAX RELIEF IF YOU RENT OR ARE A HOMEOWNER (you can also claim HB and CTR when working if your income is low- apply direct to the Council).

If you have amortgage, you do not immediately get help with the mortgage interest, unless you have the same mortgage product that you took out prior to a date in the mid- 1990s. I think you need to be claiming Income Based JSA for 40 weeks before they pay 50% of your motgage interest.

If you have an insurance policy connected to a mortgage,that kicks in when you are unemployed, you will only benefit financially from it (on Income Based benefits) if the policy is paid direct to your mortgage lender. If the money is paid direct to you, you have to declare it as income into the household and it will REDUCE your JSA!
    Posted