Forums

TES Teaching assistants - Forum

Get together with hundreds of teaching assistants, learning support assistants and HLTAs in the TES Teaching Assistant Group. Share your experiences in teaching support, get advice on TA pay and conditions from your peers and find a sympathetic ear.

Members 3927 Total Posts 13656
« Please enter a number between 1 and 18 Page of 18 »

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR T/A

My interview is 2mz at 9:00am!! Please think of me and cross your fingers! haha!! I have been preparing for weeks! Let's hope it pays off!

Some answers for the questions,
    ~ If the teacher doesn't turn up- This interview is for the foundation stage, i would say...

Before opening the doors up for the children to come in, i would pop my head in next door and explain to the Class teacher the situation, and the T/A for that class could go down to the office to say the teacher hasn't turned up. I personally wouldn't send a child down, the note may not get there etc.
    But i would carry on with the routine- as i would be aware of what was happening in the week from talking to the teacher previously so would set up activities on the tables, floor etc. lunch register, actual register and carry on as normal until i hear otherwise.

~ Parents question...

I think it is vital to get to know the parents of the children as they are the main educators of their children at home and before their children came to school, so you must value them and any contributions they may be able to bring to the school, for example, it is going to be statutory to teach french next sept, we have a parent in our class who can speak french and so we invited her to come in and read 'the very hungry caterpillar' to the class in french! etc.

~ when i had to use my own initiative?

The class teacher went out at lunch time and did not return to pick the class up at the end of play, so a member of staff came and told me, i obviously didn't have anything planned so i had to pick up the children and take the register and set up a quick activity for the children until the teacher came back! If you are not asked the previous question about the teacher not turning up, use it as an example!!

~ Confidentiality (if a parent came up to you in tesco) ...

I would explain that because of the policy of the school, i am unable to discuss this with you, but if you made an appointment with the head or your childs class teacher, i'm sure they would be more than happy to talk to you about it.

~ child protection (if a child tells you a secret)...

Explain to the child that i may not be able to keep this a secret if it means we can help you, don't ask any leading questions- you may put words in their mouths, write everything down that was said and refer it to the school child protection officer. If the alogation is about the child protection officer- go to the head) etc.

Can't think of any more at the moment. Hope some of those helped!!!
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Sounds like you've done your homework and got it sorted. GOOD LUCK x
    Posted
    Good luck for today !! Let us know x
    Posted
    I got it woooohoooooo!! I'm so happy! The questions were a bit eeeekkk! I will try and remember them!

~ What would you say is the most important part of the EYFS curriculum? why?

~ Role play areas are important- can you name one that you have seen before and explain what would be in there to develop children and their learning?

~ What sort of things would you refer to the CT and what would you deal with yourself (in relation to child being ill in the morning- school trips etc) this one confused me a bit????

~ Skills i would bring to the job

~ what would you do if you didn't agree with an activity your teacher planned?

~ what would you do if you were faced with a challenging pupil who wouldn't listen to your instructions?

can't think right now, if ii do will write them down for you all!!! xoxoxooxx
    Posted
    ^
    Posted
    All this sounds very scary. I have an interview for TA post (3 advertised at the school) on Tuesday. Have been told I will have to select a book to read and explore with children. This followed by interview. It is my first interview, although I have been doing supply TA work and I am very nervous. Activity not a problem but don't want to be stuck for words or sounding as though I don't know what i'm talking about when answering questions. Reading previous posts has been very interesting and helpful. Fingers crossed!
    Posted
    Good luck Sara Let us know how it went!! xx
    Posted
    This thread is a great idea and seems has given me loads of help so thanks everyone! I've got my first ever interview on friday and am pretty nervous - I spoke to the head on the phone and she said I would have a tour of the school and basic literacy/numeracy tests followed by the interview. Does anyone have any ideas about the style of these types of literacy/numeracy tests? Also anyone have any ideas about new initiatives/policies I should be well aware of to talk about in the interview? ANy help would be greatly appreciated and I promise to report back any tips and experiences I have after the interview!
    Posted
    I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the interview advice given on this thread. I read it all, prepared and got the job! This was my first interview in years, and although I have been qualified for years, it is a complete departure from the kind of work I have been used to. The real world, here I come!!

I can't remember all the questions but was asked the following;

What is your understanding about the EYFS?
    Two year 6 pupils are arguing in the playground. How would you deal with this?
    If you could look down on a perfect infant department what would it look like?

Then the usual, skills, knowledge etc questions.

Hope this helps and thanks again!
    Posted
    If you have a question which you really cannot answer. Try to put it into a context. Example if it is a behaviour or a child protection issue question. You can say "If offered the post I would make myself familiar with the schools behaviour or child protection guidelines", and "I would also watch out and learn from other members of staff how they are implementing the schools policies successfully".

Sometimes the scenario based question can be bit dodgy. If you run in and answer as if you are solving the problem, you may conflict with the schools policy if you are thinking on your feet.

However referring to the schools policy you are showing awareness that you would implement it is something they will be looking for. Its worth having in your head if you get desperate for an answer.

I looked back on this thread and noticed the question about developing the outside area.

I thought this was a really dodgy question.
    If I was asked this question my first reaction would be its a Health and Safety question. I may be wrong, however I would mention Health and Safety and Risk Assessment policy to show I am considering them.

Also I think it is a dodgy question as they may be really asking is the interviewee likely to go off re arranging the outside area without proper consultation with the classroom teacher.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth

Posted
    Thanks for all your questions!

Good idea geffone Liked the bit about "I would also watch out and learn from other members of staff how they are implementing the schools policies successfully".
    Good idea!!!

Did you get the job sara or Martin??
    and well done jebs!! xx
    Posted
    Thanks for this thread ...I'm on the other end having been asked by the head to be on the interview panel and come up with the questions.
    Posted
    really? interesting!! Msz!

I would love to be on an interview panel!
    Posted
    Literacy and numeracy tests at interview have got me thinking. I have to arrange the interviews for a TA to assist in delivering our literacy intervention programme.

Bearing in mind that this is secondary and that one of the essential parts of the intervention is to get children up to speed with being confident about decoding multisyllable words, and making plausible attempts at spelling them, would it be particularly mean to give the interviewees a short dictation passage containing lots of those dodgy words, such as 'definitely', 'appalling', 'separate', 'accomodation', 'necessary' etc.?

After all, anyone can spell well on an application form, but I need someone who can spell well without the use of a spell checker or dictionary..

I won't tell you what the questions are; one of you might be applying;-) but they are focussed on candidates' understanding of the implications for children of poor literacy skills and on behaviour management.
    Posted
    Sadly I didn't get the position I applied for as I didn't have enough experience of Wave 3 etc. However, on the positive side I have another interview next Tuesday, 15th July. This time I have been asked to initiate a discussion with a group of KS2 pupils on a subject of my choice. Not sure how many or what year group! No idea what subject to choose so once again, help!!!! Have thought about how would children like to improve their school/learning environment but according to a teacher at the school it has already been improved recently so wondering whether to discuss how they would "market" their school to other children, talking about out of school clubs etc. Only have 20 mins to do it in too which doesn't help. Looking forward to some ideas!! Thanks guys!
    Posted
    This topic is brilliant! Lots of great ideas to note down.

I've got an HLTA interview next week, and I will have to teach two lesson starters and then have an interview.

Can anyone think of any HLTA related questions which may be asked? The post is within a primary school by the way!

Plops xx
    Posted
    Oops - posted a seperate thread first!!

I have an interview next week for a level 2/3 (dependant upon skills and knowledge) Teaching Assistant for SEN.

The interview process is to last from 9am and includes lunch and carries on into the afternoon. Can anyone tell me what they think the schedule will be for the morning/afternoon?

Also other than by explaining my existing qualifications how can I tell them / demonstrate I should be paid at level 3?

Thanks...
    Posted
    Thanks for starting this post the questions are helping me prepare for my interview tomorrow morning.
    Its for a level 1 Teaching Assistant - I have been a stay at home mum for almost a year and I am now ready to get back out there, I am looking to train as a teacher eventually so am wanting experience as a TA before I take the plunge!
    Posted
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site so please be kind to me! ... I have been preparing for Teaching Assistant interviews this week having had a three year career break to have my children.

I found that your contributions and suggestions were extremely helpful and thought I would share some of the questions that I was asked at interview today for a TA post in Nursery and Reception.

We were first of all given samples of work by two children which had written comments and assessments on them by their teacher. We were given 20 minutes to comment on each piece of work, explaining what might the next step be for the child in order for them to progress in their learning and what activities/resources/experiences would you provide in order to help the child progress.

In the main part of the interview, I was asked...

-What attracted you to this school?
    -What factors do you think make good teamwork?
    -You arrive at school in the morning and are faced with an angry parent, how might you deal with this?
    -In what ways can you contribute to the monitoring and assessment of childrens learning?
    -What experiences of children with children with SEN have you had? How did you support them?
    -Can you tell us about an experience you have had where you have positively involved/built a partnership with parents?
    -What do you think is the role of a TA?
    -How might you deal with a child who presents challenging behaviour?

...there were a few more but I can't remember them!
    Posted
    Hello everybody I found this blog tonight and it has been really helpfull. I have an interview on friday for a General Assistant post, the job spec is very similar to a TA. Has anybody else got any advice or any knowledge of this post? Any advice related to this kind of work would be very much appreciated as I have only just graduated and this is my first interview!! Also I know it is late for applications but there are still jobs being posted, has anybody got any tips on the application process as I have only heard from one school out of many up until now!! :( hope to hear from you all soon,
    Melissa
    Posted