Forums

TES Teaching overseas - Forum

If you’re looking for an overseas teaching job, or you’re already working abroad, this is the group for you. Join hundreds of overseas teachers and find out more about what it’s really like to teach in a foreign country.

Members 6201 Total Posts 52217

Excellent examples of letter of application and cv

Hi,

I'm looking to move abroad in August 2009 and am looking for primary school teaching positions abroad. I am in the process of putting together a CV and letter of application but am looking for some useful hints, tips, examples etc. Or if anyone would be available to mentor me through this process?

HELP!!!! I'd really appreciate it!  It's been a long time since complete CV or application of letter.

Is there anyone that could help me please? 

Any comments would really help.  Even better examples of  CV's or letter of applications would be much appreciated. pocketrocket33@live.co.uk

Many many thanks

Pocket rocket Smile

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Just to write a little note..I've read lots on this website about Cv's and application templates.  One thing I have learnt is that it is a process of putting all your thoughts on to paper and then organising them!   I've finally got a template of my CV and in the process of putting together my personal statement.  It is a lot harder then I thought but a great experience to reflect on achievements and how my teaching and learning has changed over the years. I think the best way to find out whether your CV and letter of application is good is by sending it off and getting feedback.

PocketRocketCool

Posted

Actually no.

The best way of finding out if your CV and letter of application are any good is by applying for jobs and getting interviews. If you get interviews then they are fine. If not then you have work to do.

Most people do NOT send their CV's and letters of application out to people. One because they are confidential, and secondly because they do not want other people to copy what they have written. If you are not able to put together a decent CV and letter of application, then you are not ready for a job that requires it.

Good luck with the job applications.

Posted

Seconded. Along with several others I have given general advice about CV and letter writing (forum search) but I don't hand out 'model answers'. Your application needs to reflect YOU and your experience/ attitudes, not some placticised 'ideal' applicant.

Posted

While I agree that CVs shouldn't be simply shared, as it were, I do think that most of us need a little help when it comes to selling ourselves -it certainly doesn't come naturally to me.

I googled for general advice on writing a CV - advice on how to phrase things in a more impressive but still honest way,  also ideas about the qualities, skills and experience you have that you never even consider but which are the stuff good CVs are made of.

To get the teaching slant on it, I looked at the headings on teaching application forms - some local authorities still use these. Plus of course anything specific in the job desc. 

Mine might not be the best CV in the world, or the most imaginative, but it served me well when I needed it.

(or maybe it was a rubbish CV and what did it for me was the word physics?)

Posted

I have emailed you a basic CV template used for International schools.

Hope this helps

Posted
    In response to Karvol... Just to clarify, I'm not looking for people to send me their copies but to aid with format... If you have never complete a CV for the teaching profession abroad then it's difficult to know what is expected.  I was merely trying to ask for help and guidance.  Secondly, do schools in this country or abroad not give feedback to applicants? I've always asked for advice and been given it? Is that not proactive? We as teachers provide feedback to our pupils or students to help develop and grow? Do we not?  How can we learn and get better if people are unwilling to give guidance. If you are not getting interview then yes work needs to be done on you CV or letter of application but do re do all or bits?  Would it not be fair in saying some guidance and advice would be helpful? Instead of just saying no you are not successful?

Just a few questions to think about!

POcket rocket
    Posted

Hi Pocketrocket,

My post wasn't meant as an insult or to demean you in any way. All I was saying was that the best way of testing out CV's and Letters of Application is by applying for jobs.

Let's see if we can answer some of your points:

Having sat on interview panels and had a hand in shortlisting for international jobs, I can honestly say that in my experience the formatting doesn't matter one jot. The important points are always keep it within 2 pages for the CV and one side for the letter. Content is king. Either your qualifications come first or your work experience - it really doesn't matter. What matters is that both are mentioned and in detail.

Your CV also has to check out.

Don't quote someone as a referee who has no idea of your current teaching and you only met on a course 3 years ago, just because they sound eminent.

Don't point to links on websites and blogs. No-one is going to go there.

Don't use multi-coloured paper as it is really annoying to photocopy, so no-one will bother.

Don't say you are interested in the position of teacher of mathematics when the post is for a teacher of physics.

Don't write Dear Sir or Madam, when it should be addressed to the name of a person.

Don't mention you won 17 boy scout badges. Really no-one is that interested.

Or in the fact that you were a school prefect.

Do mention ALL your work history and relevant qualifications.

When it asks for email, fax and telephone numbers of 3 referees, then it means all of the aforementioned. If you cannot be bothered finding out the details then someone will not be bothering to get in touch.

Don't mention the name of another school. It really doesn't impress.

Parent references are worth less than the paper they are written on.

Don't apply for a job as a teacher of whatever if you only have a passing acquaintance with the subject. Teaching a subject for one class a week does not make you a teacher of that subject to all levels.

Don't write some mickey mouse cod-philosophical rubbish about being a forward thinking individual wanting to work in a forward looking institution, ready to reap the rewards of your knowledge. It has been seen more times than you would believe. Stick to what the job spec requires and how you fulfill it.

Most schools DO NOT give feedback. That is because once someone has been hired they are too busy sorting out all the paperwork for visas etc. etc. to worry about those who fell by the wayside. It might sound tough but you are really not important any more.

Every one of the points mentioned above has been seen by me on many an occasion.

And the bottom line - If you cannot operate the search facility on this website, do you really think you are ready to go through the process of acclimatizing to a new country?

Just a few points for you to think about.

Once again I wish you all the best with applying for jobs. We have all had to start somewhere, and know the process you are going through. 

Read and take heed of the advice of Theo Griff and Mainwaring. They have an awful lot of experience in this game.

Posted
    Hi Karvol, Thanks for you advice.  But would just like to quote you on this point...
    Karvol
    And the bottom line - If you cannot operate the search facility on this website, do you really think you are ready to go through the process of acclimatizing to a new country?
     If I was this inapt then I would not be able to operate the reply function and give opinions.  That was a generalised comment! These are lots of sound advice threads and filtering through the right ones is what is important.  I appreciate what you have said.  The general picture I am getting is be honest and be yourself! I've taken heed of Mainwarning and Theo Griff's threads and have found them very useful.  I am now no my way with what I thought originally as being a mind field.Many thanks for the best wishes. I am determined enough to reach my goals and will get there.

Smile Pocket rocket

Posted

is there any chance you could email me that cv template for international schools???? would really appreciate it! thanks

kelly

kellyj04@hotmail.com

Posted

I've always gone with the idea that a CV contains the facts, a summary if you like, or maybe a nice index/contents page for what you've been doing with yourself. The personal statement is where you sell yourself. I haven't much experience of writing/reading CV's in the teaching profession except my own and one or two friends but before teaching I was involved in the revealing process of sifting through CV's and application letters for part of my job and I hated, HATED, long wordy CV's. Covering letters and personal statements should be interesting but first I'd look at the CV, can they do the job? Then the letter, which is, do I want them to do the job? Are they suited to the working environment? Does this sound like someone everyone else will be able to work with?

That's just my opinion though, I could be very wrong and I'll hold my hands up and accept all the people who disagree with me but as far as I know (which is probably very little) it's never done me any harm.

The only reason I've posted all this gibberish is that everyone seems to panic about CV formatting so much and I can't understand why, keep it simple and to the point.

Posted

Thanks for those tips Karvol. I've been guilty of a couple of them myself and now know to stop.

Are you speaking from a secondary viewpoint? I have a link to a website on mine, and some schools, particularly PYP ones, have checked it out and commented on it.

I'm intrigued about the parent references comment though. Some agencies actually demand them. Is this a love them or hate them situation?

Posted

I teach at the secondary level, and have no experience of primary, so I cannot comment on them.

Teaching one to one ( which is what private tuition is ) bears no relation to teaching a full class. Hence parental recommendations, while pleasant enough, bear no weight when it comes to job candidate selection ( in my experience ).

In addition, the schools I have taught in would not hire someone who could not muster together at least two professional referees.

Posted

Oh, I thought you meant parental references from parents of kids in your class. Wanting their impressions of you, your teaching and their child's happiness and progress in your class I can understand, as some private schools are VERY parent-driven.

Must be like the portfolio thing....some schools want 'em, other have no time for 'em.

Posted