NQT abroad

TES Teaching overseas - Forum

If you’re looking for an overseas teaching job, or you’re already working abroad, this is the group for you. Join hundreds of overseas teachers and find out more about what it’s really like to teach in a foreign country.

Members 5644 Total Posts 48917
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

NQT abroad

Hi.
    This year I'm hopefully going to pass my degree and become an NQT. I would love to work abroad and wanted to know whether anybody could give me advise as to whether schools abrad would have an NQT? Is it advisable to do it in my NQT year? I have to go abroad!
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    You can't do the NQT year overseas.
    You wouldn't want to work in any school that would take you without experience.
    Posted
    There are schools out there that will take NQT - but I would advise strongly against this. Your NQT year is to help to foster your teaching career and as such it is a good idea to plan at least two years (if possible - not always a luxtury in today's teaching in Britian!)in a school, to find your feet, get used to the ins and outs of the curriculum, school political life, dealing with diverse classroom management situations and earning your fully qualified status. Then, armed with that experience look abroad. I think that the glamour of overseas teaching often blinds many as they come out of college. There are the same discipline issues overseas as in Britian and while the temptation is fun, travel and new adventures (and all of that is possible...been around the doors a bit!) on a new teacher wage that is not always possible combined with adjusting to a new culture and way of doing things! You have your whole career ahead - plan carefully and make decisions wisely. Most of the wise on this board will recommend getting your NQT year done in the UK and then consider.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Posted
    I would do a search on this forum about this. If I had a quid for everytime I'd posted on it, I could retire.

Even without NQT year, you are a fully qualified teacher but the really good schools abroad will only take those with a minimum of two years experience. As an NQT abroad, you will get no extra support nor mentor nor reduced timetable. Schools that take NQTs are usually the ones to be wary of.

NQT year can be done in British Forces school in Cyprus and Germany and in British style school in Gibraltar, the Channel Isles and the Isle of Man only. Any other school abroad that says it will induct you is lying and is probably so bad that it is desperate to get any staff at all.
    Posted
    MissJJJ

http://jobs.tes.co.uk/job.aspx?jobId=464214

Follow the above link for schools in Germany advertising today in TES who are offering to induct NQTs
    Posted
    As I said, any school other than those I mentioned in my previous post that says it will induct you is lying. There is NO induction in any international school that is an acceptable alternative to the NQT year in the UK and the schools I posted about.

Take care with this one in particular. Many people on this forum know.
    Posted

Ive checked on the TDA website and it says that you cant do your NQT abroad, the exceptions are:
    * Scotland
    * Northern Ireland
    * Isle of Man
    * Guernsey
    * Jersey
    * Gibraltar
    * Service Children’s education (SCE) school in Germany or Cyprus
    Heres the web page from the TDA site:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/teacher/nqt-induction/faqs.aspx

Posted

The advice on this forum is wise and of course, getting experience in the UK is a definite advantage. However I'll give you my personal experience as an NQT working overseas just to offer the flip side. 

Good schools probably will not employ you. However if you end up in fortunate circumstances, you may well end up in a good school. I accepted a job in a school which was NOT good before I graduated. It was horrendous! Not somewhere I would ever want to go again. However, through a series of lucky coincidences, I ended up in a good school when a vacancy came up in January because I knew someone who was working at the school I am currently at and was lucky enough to be offered the position! 

In terms of gaining experience, I have been lucky enough to have had a wonderful coordinator who knew how new I was to teaching and offered a lot of support and guidance. I've learnt a lot about new cultures and teaching EAL students and I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY JOB!!! I have a wonderful class of Kindergarten students, very small class (14) in a lovely school with a  gorgeous campus and a well resourced classroom.  I have learnt so much in my time here that I would never regret my decision to come over here straight after graduation. I have accepted that when I return I will have to do my NQT but you know what, I might never go back to the UK! I love my life here! I love that I could end up working anywhere in the world! I am about to resign for another 2 years so I can't see an issue with not having enough experience for my next job, whereever it is! I also 

In these current times, it may well be a struggle to find a job as an NQT in England. I know several people from my course who have yet to secure a full time NQT post and are scraping through on supply. I can save half my salary here to help pay off debts at home and I lead a very comfortable lifestyle! I travel in every holiday abroad and locally and can't quite believe my luck!

Yes you may end up in a bad school if you go overseas ( I DID!) but you may well end up in an ok school. You might end up getting lucky like me! How will you ever know if you don't make the leap of faith?! Good luck in your decision making! 

Posted

marloutay
    you cant do your NQT abroad

Breaking news...

From a letter written by Nick Gibb, Minister of State for Schools, to the lady who chairs the ISC induction panel.

Dated 5th December 2011:

I am pleased to give the required determination for IStip (Independent Schools Teacher Induction Panel) to be recognised as the appropriate body in relation to Independent Schools for the purposes of NQT statutory induction, in accordance with relevant regulations...

...from 1 January 2012, schools (including free schools and academies) in membership of one of the following five Heads' Associations, including those with associate membership: The Society of Heads; Independent Schools Association (ISA); Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC); Independent Association of Preparatory Schools (IAPS) and Girls' School Association (GSA); and

from 1 September 2012, schools in membership or associate membership of the five Heads' Associations listed above and in membership of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS) where a fully accredited British Schools Overseas (BSO) inspection has been carried out.

-end of quotation, emphasis mine.

The newly empowered schools overseas can be indentified via the COBIS web site.

A Conservative minister actually doing what Conservatives are supposed to do by prying the clammy fingers of the nanny state off the throat of the independent sector.

Posted

Thanks for that SMT dude, it's very useful information.

I came here to Egypt as an NQT to a top tier school originally so when they tell you that no 'good' school will take you, it's just not true.  If a school needs you, then they need you.

If you have no intentions of returning to teach in the UK then what is the point of doing the NQT year?  The others will tell you that it is necessary for your development as a teacher and that we all need the extra support given.  Again not strictly true, I find that the majority of teachers give support when necessary any way - good teachers like to teach (whether it's the kids or you).

I can't help noticing that most of the best teachers I come into contact with, started their careers before all of this 'NQT year' rubbish began.

However, international teaching is not for everybody.  You don't have the same level of protection as you would back in good old Blighty.

If you want to go for it, then go for it - take a chance.

Posted

clovis
    I might be wrong

A blast from the past Big Smile

Posted

robbywilliams66
    when they tell you that no 'good' school will take you, it's just not true. 

Exactly. I'd like to think we are a 'good' school, and we've employed two NQTs who were clearly outstanding. We went through all the palaver with them, the mentoring and so on, but they knew that it would not cut any ice back in the UK. Any risk was theirs, not ours.

Now it will all be kosher. This is a significant advance in COBIS's campaign to have the government understand and effectively recognise the work of British International schools.

Of course we have nothing like the recognition of our colleagues at the Lycée Français and the Deutsche Schule, but nor are we controlled from Paris or Berlin and led and staffed by a rotation of state functionaries. Here was the problem the last British government had with all this - even Lord Adonis had difficulty with the concept of schools recognised and accredited by the state but not effectively controlled by it.

This is a step on the way to ensuring, in future, that not even the most parochial dolt in charge of a UK state school can refuse to recognise the years a teacher has spent overseas - a perennial preoccupation for those on here who feel that they would, some day, like to return to the island.

Note that such privileges will only apply to duly accredited schools, and this may encourage some of the doubting Thomases to get on with a quality assurance process - all good news for the standards and reputation of international schools.

robbywilliams66
    If you want to go for it, then go for it - take a chance

Always good advice, in any circumstances.
    Posted

Yes, you can get a job in an international school as an NQT. There are several young lassies from Bonnie Scotland at my present school in Doha who are NQTs.

No, you probably cannot do your "induction year" at a school in the UK because there are so few jobs in the UK at the moment. I read somewhere on the TES about 45 candidates all turning up to be interviewed for the same teaching vacancy. Or maybe it was 450.

Yes, it is true that in an international school you won't be "mentored", but if you bother to read some of the posts on the "NQT forum" you will understand that this might be a major advantage.

No, you probably won't be able to get a job in the UK after teaching in an international school because lots of heads of state schools in the UK don't think that international teaching experience has any real value.  

Posted

the hippo
    No, you probably won't be able to get a job in the UK after teaching in an international school because lots of heads of state schools in the UK don't think that international teaching experience has any real value. 

And lots do.

Also you will stand a chance of finding work in a non-state school which could be more attractive to you after working in the private sector abroad anyway.

Posted

clovis
    MissJJJ, I would look carefully into whether you can actually do your 'induction year' overseas. I am pretty sure you can't. As far as I am aware the only schools outside the UK that can do 'induction' are SCE schools, and they would be highly unlikely to employ an NQT. The SCE schools can do 'induction years' as the SCE are the equivalent of an LEA, and all inductions have to be verified by an LEA, as it is the LEA that recommends you to the Secretary of State, not the school. I might be wrong, so check up on this. Do not take any prospective schools word on this issue.

The king is dead....

Posted
    Hiya I am going to be an NQT in September 2013. I would like to work in Egypt. Does your school take NQTs? Alternatively, can you name any schools that do so I can apply? Thank you Neelab Fazli
    Posted
    Hiya I am going to be an NQT in September 2013. I would like to work in Egypt. Do you know the name of the schools that take on NQTs so I can apply? Thank you Neelab Fazli
    Posted

Yes, I do know the names of some schools that may take on NQTs. No, I am not going to name them because then the whole thread will be deleted by the TES moderators. Perhaps it might be a good idea, Neelab Fazil, if you were to read the terms and conditions of this forum.

Posted

The school I worked in a few years ago took on a graduate without a PGCE, let alone NQT. They were so impressed by him, that they paid for him to do the PGCEi. 

Posted
    Perhaps he was a Physics teacher.
    Posted