international school Vs private school in Malaysia

TES Teaching overseas - Forum

If you’re looking for an overseas teaching job, or you’re already working abroad, this is the group for you. Join hundreds of overseas teachers and find out more about what it’s really like to teach in a foreign country.

Members 6178 Total Posts 52053

international school Vs private school in Malaysia

I have had an offer for an interview with the head and CEO of a Malaysian private school that would like to diversify in to a more international offering. The school mainly follows the Malay curriculum but according by its website they are expanding to include the British curriculum next year.    

What sort of things do I need to think about?    

Will this sort of opportunity diminish my ability to take on future roles in other international schools?    

Will pay and conditions be different to international Schools in Malaysia?    

Does Malaysia have decent union provision for teachers?    

Any advice would be welcome

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Hi, local teaching salaries are 2.5k RM plus lots of perks though like cheap mortgages, car loans, special land purchase etc etc. Also local teachers make money from "tuition" and many have other businesses. Expats need 5k a month for the work permit - allowing for perks prob the same. Int schools pay approx 12k+ for classroom teachers which is a lower/middle middle class salary (its actually quite expensive in Malaysia to live). In persepective a Mamak restaurant owner will earn 25k a month and a heart surgeon 180k per month! (private). So in the pecking order about same as UK ie lower middel class lifestyle.

Unions - not in Malaysia for expats! For locals not really either

My experience teaching in Thailand (I worked in Malaysia but in another career - I was involved with some educational projects and knew some teachers both local and expat) is that local private schools pay 50-60% of full international schools. Management are far worse and facilities pretty bare. however it's fun way to get to know the culture. Malaysia will be similiar.

Food is cheap in malaysia, housing so so to eye wateringly expensive at times, nightlife twice that of thailand and cars SUPER expensive. You will need a car. Maybe get one (a Proton) as part of package if salary offer low?

I heard mixed reviews from expat teachers about conditions..... having had issues in business over there I can well believe it.

as for the future? a friend (QTS) worked in a private local Thai school and used that erference to get a fantastic proper job in Singapore. So on that sample of one yes ok!

Posted
    nemo.
    Int schools pay approx 12k+ for classroom teachers which is a lower/middle middle class salary
    ?????????? Huh?
    Posted

nemo.
    I worked in Malaysia but in another career

Clearly this is why you haven't a clue about what you're talking about.  Most of what you say is either stupid or plain wrong..

e.g.

nemo.
    actually quite expensive in Malaysia to live

I presume you were in Mont Kiera or damasara heights and never walked beyond which has given you a warped view of the country.

If you can find anywhere in the UK you can get a 3 bed condo with gym, swimming pool & 24 hr security for less than £350 a month, do let me know.  I'd say that was very cheap rather than so-so.

Posted
    12k MYR Malaysian ringet per month that is. Which at today's rate is 2400 gbp but when I was there was a lot less in gbp as rate was 7 to pound. I'm not allowing for inflation although my friends there say about same and I was in Malaysia last year visiting and food/cars were about the same price in MYR as before. Western goods should deflate in price due to strong ringet. A unionised bank clerk with 10 years experience (not a management job) in a good bank earns 12k rm per month. Most I know on that live ok - a maid is 400 MYR per month - but no big holidays and many on two of those salaries with kids just survive. Assuming a reasonable middle class lifestyle and one hol a year, a car (essential) and savings etc for retirement. My ex gf there lived on 1500 MYR a month + rent + flights paid by father as a student while there but she lived on the breadline and she didn't like that!
    Posted
    You sound like a troll with negative comments like that.
    Posted
    Quote dissapeared.... Mistermaker the troll that is
    Posted

nemo.

To be fair, a troll is generally defined as someone whose main purpose is to offend, stir the pot or wind people up. With MM that is just an added bonus or flavoring to the often useful/insightful information that he posts. Cold comfort when you are the one being flavored, but there you are.
    Posted

nemo.

Far from trolling, I'm simply taking apart you misrepresentation
    of Malaysia - as I said, you may have lived here for a short time before, but
    you seem to have confined yourself to the expat areas. I guess some folk just
    can't take criticism, no matter how light the breeze of distain. Big Smile

Living in Malaysia can be very cheap whilst enjoying yourself. The only thing I agree with you  in part is about cars; imports are very expensive, about 3 to 5 times what you pay in the UK. However, the local cars are cheap and the quality is getting better - if all you want is a basic run around to the shops and back a little Perodua starts from £4000.Automobile  It is possible to rent cars here for £200 a month!

Accommodation can be very cheap, outside the overpriced world of the Heights, and similar, where rental starts at £800 a month for a shoe box and goes sharply up from there - hence the need for higher salaries for those working in the well established schools in those areas.

If you live in the established expat areas then 12000 won't get you much by way of a good life. However, if you knew anything about salaries here you'd know that 12,000 is not an accurate figure. Salaries vary from 5000 to 15000. Outside the expat areas schools pay less as it costs much less to live. I usually spend less than 1500 a month plus accommodation. I enjoy my life here and eat (and drink) well, enjoying a social life which is mostly with locals. Having lived in Thailand and Malaysia I'd say Malaysia is slightly cheaper nowadays for nightlife. Of course, it depends where you go and what you do. One method I use to gauge price difference is the McDonalds test (not saying it's perfect, just a rough measure) and it's cheaper here than in
    Thailand (and about 1/3 of the cost of the UK)

So, Nemo, put your head above the water for a while and try to get to know the real Malaysia. It's a wonderful place where teachers can enjoy themselves even on very low salaries. That is if N (sounds like Texas) offer you a job. I've some of the Board and they seem decent folk.Geeked

Posted
    groovybob
    I have had an offer for an interview with the head and CEO of a Malaysian private school that would like to diversify in to a more international offering. The school mainly follows the Malay curriculum but according by its website they are expanding to include the British curriculum next year.    

Lots of schools are opening international sections here.

groovybob
    Will this sort of opportunity diminish my ability to take on future roles in other international schools?    

No

groovybob
    Will pay and conditions be different to international Schools in Malaysia?  

Whether private or international the salary from school to school varies - cost of living is very low here, so even the cheaper schools can offer a decent life experience.

groovybob
    Does Malaysia have decent union provision for teachers?

Guessing you've never worked overseas before.  No unions.  However, the law seems to be more effective here and so contracts can be taken at face value - for comparison , most contracts in many places outside Europe (and perhaps even inside europe if Spanish schools are considered) aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Turn up to interview and treat it like any normal school.  You haven't said what post / level you're applying for.

Posted

thanks for the info MM,

I was wondering if the National Union of the Teaching Profession

http://www.nutp.org/new/

is for non nationals as well as malaysians.

Posted

groovybob
    for non nationals as well as malaysians

I don't think so; I don't know any expat teachers who are members. I'd avoid asking about unions during interviews; just accept there isn't one.

Seriously, don't think about going overseas if union membership is an important consideration.  You have to stand on your own two feet when you're an expat teacher; sometimes it works out well, sometimes it doesn't and you simply deal with it and move on.

Posted
    nemo.
    A unionised bank clerk with 10 years experience (not a management job) in a good bank earns 12k rm per month.
    Which Malaysia are you referring to? This is not the one on planet Earth.
    Posted
    I did some HR work in KL as well as consult in a bank and know the salaries as I had them by grade, years service etc. You could tell some had additional incomes as on a middle management salary 12 bungalows and a fleet of mercs does tell a story! And huge balance sheet holes in banks tells where the cash came from..... Same in Thailand except I was fooled by the argument that local teachers get 7k baht and westerners 40-140k per month. True that new teachers get paid very little but as they advance there are hikes and "incentives" as in state schools one has to "lubricate" senior teachers and the principal. The principal of the rural school I worked at had a brand new merc. Every year! In Malaysia the black economy is huge as well and realmincomes are high for many middle class people. Actually they would be shocked how poor Brits really are! After taxes of course I am comparing degree educated middle class malaysians with expats for the obvious reason that to get a wp you should have skllls that put you in that category. On that basis 10-12k a month is lower middle class salary that equates to a teachers salary in UK in social pecking order. At least in KL obviously outside of KL knock 40% off at least. So ok but an expat needs to save for retirement and possible relocation home as basically you can't guarantee that you can stay
    Posted
    To the blacksmith. Let's say are diagnosed with a treatable but expensive cancer. If you haven't saved or have proper insurance you have to go back home. Let's say you are British. For the first 6 months you are not entitled to free nhs care! (except for emergency ops not preexisting conditions). You need lots of cash if you stay or go. In UK you will need rental deposits and a place to stay if you haven't got family willing to put you up. If you can't work for a while your wp is cancelled. Getting PR is a nightmare even if married to a local and have contacts. Going rate Fter 10 years is 12-50k "cash incentive" if married to a local. Friends have paid those amounts. Point is you need to build up capital, a viable western pension - and Malaysia might be as expensive as west in 30 years time - and without PR you are basically not perm in Malaysia. A nightmare if things go wrong. Of course for those that just want a 2 year jolly it's fine. But I note turnover of staff in kl is a lot lower. Expats like to stay and anyway if you make a career out of int teaching you need to save for emergencies, repatriation and pension. You have to also consider buying property. Friends have done that in Thailand although only leasehold. Malaysia does allow freehold at least and is more politically stable. Int teachers need to consider their career and future. Ok for a 20something single running from the great uk depression it's great. But I'm assuming that those with kids want a decent future. any theblacksmith as you seem to "know it all" you should live in north Korea as you would fit in well!
    Posted

Please help!

Hi, I have been offered a job in an international school in KL, which has a particularly fair view. I have been offered a sallary of 5500 ringgits per month. But did not know whether this was hugely below average and how far it will get me. Accommodation is included.

I also have read on the contract that you are liable to reimberse the school should you decide to terminate the contract before the end of the 2 years, what exactly does this mean? Is it just for courses and things?

Still looking forward to it but just a few last minute doubts.

Thanks

Bert

Posted

MisterMaker
    Of course, it depends where you go and what you do. One method I use to gauge price difference is the McDonalds test (not saying it's perfect, just a rough measure) and it's cheaper here than in

Thailand (and about 1/3 of the cost of the UK)

Funny, I also use Old Mac as a bit of a guide, despite rarely using the place.

In Indonesia the prices are astronomical, almost on a par with the UK and the food is worse! Makes me wonder how they get away with it, whilst also confirming the growing wealth of the 'middle' class.

Posted