Teaching salary Dubai 2013

TES Teaching overseas - Forum

If you’re looking for an overseas teaching job, or you’re already working abroad, this is the group for you. Join hundreds of overseas teachers and find out more about what it’s really like to teach in a foreign country.

Members 5644 Total Posts 48925

Teaching salary Dubai 2013

I was hoping someone could shed some light on what a 'reasonable' teaching salary for a profit making school in Dubai was. I have been offered a job in a British Curriculum/profit making school for August 2013 and have been offered a combined salary and living allowance of 10,000aed p/m. However, from reading other blogs/websites I'm under the impression this is not enough to be able to afford to take advantage of the Dubai lifestyle and save money at the same time. My accommodation is included but not utility bills. It will be my 4th year as a teacher and I'm wondering if this is the correct wage. I feel I may be taken advantage of especially as the Head who interviewd me told me to expect to work very hard! Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I only have a few days to decide! Are schools negocible on salaries?!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    At my school, which is considered as average, the approximate salary is 10,500 Dhs plus 500 Dhs for every year of experience you have. That would put you on about 12,500 Dhs per month with four years experience.
    Posted
    ^ Agree. If you haven't accepted yet, ask for your offer to be revised or at the very least be given an explanation as to why your salary does not correspond with what a teacher with your experience gets paid.
    Posted

This seems a bit low to me. Of course all of the bright young things want to go to Dubai and this seems to have the effect of pushing down salaries, alas.

Posted

The school have told me salary is non negotiable. Is it really that difficult to live off 10,500 a month in Dubai? I've been told utilities will be around 500 a month and apart from transport/food/phone what other expenses will I have that don't involve eating/drinking out?

Posted

I lived fine in Dubai on that but I was at a school that doesn't pay very well and I reached 10,500Dhs on my 3rd year of teaching so you should be getting more. Utilities should be less than 500Dhs a month but you'll need to buy or rent a car which won't be cheap. But like I said, I hired a car and got on just fine. Saving was a problem though but that's because I wasn't careful enough. I'm sure I'd be able to save SOME money had I been more disciplined. Dubai is very easy place to spend lots of money because there aren't a lot of stuff to do there that don't involve spending money. So to sum up, you won't starve but you'll have to be careful if you want to save and travel.

Posted

I think the 10500 + 500 for every full year you have been teaching is a great starting point.

Basic costs

Electricity & Water (DEWA) Approx 250-300 per month but this can change a lot depending on the AC in your housing. Sometimes the AC is paid for by you but in some accommodation the AC has already been taken care of and you can use it as much as you like without worrying about a massive jump in your bill.

Car Rental - Approx 1700 - 2000 per month depending on factors including how prepared you are to shop around - negotiate - and whether you want to pay the extra to wipe off any excess should you be in an accident which is your fault.

Internet / TV - Cant speak for Etisalat as not used them for over a year. However, Du charge 250aed per month for the internet. Add another 80aed if you would like a basic selection of American/British TV channels.

Food shopping - Seems to work out slightly cheaper than the UK (for us anyway). Generally, we find salad and veg a lot cheaper but it really depends on  how much you need 'home comforts'.

General shopping - Shoppers paradise but we tend to stick to 2 times in the year. Jan-Feb for DSF and June/July for DSS. Both times involve good sales otherwise the cost of items seems to work out about the same as the UK if not more expensive.

Eating and drinking - really depends on lifestyle. There are some lovely restaurants where you can eat great food for 50aed or less but if you like the high life then expect to pay up to 500aed+ If you want to drink alchohol then be prepared to pay for it.

Cant think of anything else which needs to be considered at the moment but I am sure others will be able to offer some more. Dubai like anywhere can be enjoyed on a budget. I have been able to save while living here.

Posted