How long before you hear back after applying for teachingbpost

TES Teaching overseas - Forum

If you’re looking for an overseas teaching job, or you’re already working abroad, this is the group for you. Join hundreds of overseas teachers and find out more about what it’s really like to teach in a foreign country.

Members 6189 Total Posts 52095

How long before you hear back after applying for teachingbpost

I have submitted applications for a couple of teaching positions earlier this month.  I wanted to know how long it takes to hear back and be invited for an interview.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Anywhere from hours to....never. I know that this is not helpful but the answer depends on too many variables to be of much use to you.

When did the positions close? If they had a hard closing date (like a large chain of schools in a certain former British colony is known to do) then anywhere from a few days to weeks after the closing date would be reasonable/expected.

If not, then it all depends upon the school, their recruiting plans, fair dates, etc. Sadly, many schools seem to exist in a black hole. Emails go in but nothing ever comes back out, unless they shortlist you.

Maybe someone else will a more helpful take on your question. 

Posted

Nope. I'm still waiting for a reply to an application I made to a school in Spain nearly 8 years ago.

Happily, I got a job somewhere else so I'm not really 'waiting' any more.

Posted

I guess that this Blog applies just as much to Overseas as to UK:

Why don't schools write back when you apply, or ring after an interview?

Best wishes 

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations. 

Posted

unaiza1972

I have submitted applications for a couple of teaching positions earlier this month.  I wanted to know how long it takes to hear back and be invited for an interview.

How do you know you will get an interview? If you have only applied to a couple then the chances are you won't, unless you stand out from the crowd of the tens or hundreds of others who also applied. Do you stand out from the crowd?

Posted

pgrass

If you have only applied to a couple then the chances are you won't

I just wanted to add some optimism to the thread; I only applied for one int'l job this year and have been invited to interview. A bit of research shows which schools you might suit!

Unfortunately schools are wildly different. Some seem to invite before the job closing date, others might not look at them until after the closing date, but from what others have said you are unlikely to hear back at all unless successful. It is quite a lengthy process going through all your paperwork and checking references from abroad, so I presume they'd need to start early to have it all in place by the interview (if they are nice and efficient!) and usually before the job closes. To be honest, if you are lucky enough to receive the 'we've received your application' email, it usually warns you that you might not hear from the school again!

Posted

Pgrass, I really don't think that's what the OP was getting at.  No need to be rude.

Posted