PGCE League Tables

TES Trainee teachers - Forum

This is the place to share your experiences and to get support and advice from your peers. We’ve also got our teacher training expert ready to answer your questions online on topics including school placements, mentors and lesson planning.

Members 6043 Total Posts 18258

PGCE League Tables

Hi. I'm starting my Primary PGCE at York St John University in September and just wondered how this institution is regarded in teaching circles? I know it's a little late now as I have already accepted my place but I have already been studying in York for three years (just graduated with a First in Educational Studies at University of York) and had heard good things about the PGCE at St John. I think hearing things about the PGCE being made redundant with new teacher training routes being brought in is worrying me slightly so any help would be appreciated!!!
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Ofsted reports on ITT institutions you can pick it up from their website ofsted.gov.uk and the TDA have a ITT section their website.tda.gov.uk

St John's is highly regarded- one issue you will face in the North East is the lack of NQT induction posts once you complete particularly in York itself.

Posted

Don't belive all you hear about PGCE going- Gove does not understand teacher training and certainly schools do not have the capacity to replace all PGCE courses with employment training

Posted
    Thank you that does reassure me a little. Having looked at the distribution of NQT posts to be honest I think I'm going to have to look further South and definitely in London for jobs next year!
    Posted

You won't be alone up to 20% of my LA's NQTs come from outside London. The key thing is to apply in good time and not leave it too late. Most boroughs have pool systems for primary NQTs. There is usually a recruitment fair in York attended by LA's as arranged by the university and you will find adverts in the TES First Appointments publication which comes out early January

Posted