PGCE grading - good / very good

TES Trainee teachers - Forum

This is the place to share your experiences and to get support and advice from your peers. We’ve also got our teacher training expert ready to answer your questions online on topics including school placements, mentors and lesson planning.

Members 6116 Total Posts 18362

PGCE grading - good / very good

Hi all, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on PGCE grading - do employers ever actually ask for them?

I was told that I just missed out on a 'very good' (level 1) overall and can't help feeling a bit dejected - I know I should be happy with 'good' but it's just a bit of a disappointment especially considering how close I came.

Am I worrying over nothing or am I right to be disappointed?
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Usually your grading will form part of your uni reference, as well as your performance in your assignments. How much notice the school is going to take is another matter. It will be considered along with other facts, esp at shortlisting stage, but your performance in interview and interview lesson will count far more.

So don't fret over it. The important thing is you have passed!

Posted

puffinjen

Hi all, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on PGCE grading - do employers ever actually ask for them?

Not as far as I know.

Most don't care if you've got a PGCE or not, let alone the grade.

All that matters is the QTS.

Posted

Thank you both for your replies Smile

Posted

PaulDG

Not as far as I know.

Most don't care if you've got a PGCE or not, let alone the grade.

All that matters is the QTS.

...I recently came accross an ad for a teachers job in London which stated "The successful applicant will have been consistently rated as outstanding - even if you are applying as an NQT having just completed your PGCE".

I guess it depends on the school.

Posted
    mypseudonym
     ...I recently came accross an ad for a teachers job in London which stated "The successful applicant will have been consistently rated as outstanding - even if you are applying as an NQT having just completed your PGCE".

I guess it depends on the school.

Gradings used for PGCE purposes are not OFSTED gradings - they are gradings devised by OFSTED for trainees and although similar to the gradings used for qualified teachers they are not the same so NQTs with no school experience cannot meet the ' must be outstanding' crtiterion in that advert.

Some PGCE programmes do not grade trainees anyway, so they cannot be used. For job interviews, if you have any grades for your teaching experience then it is up to you to decide if you wish to use them or not. Generally I do not provide grades for trainees in references since they are meaningless given that they relate to training and to a particular school and do not represent the full role of a teacher (which cannot be part of the training unless it is GTP).

James

Posted